PDA

View Full Version : Fluendo codec pack

steveneddy
November 19th, 2009, 07:25 PM
For those that may not know, there are codec packs available from Cannonical, the parent company of Ubuntu, that will allow you to playback .mp3 and most mpeg audio and video formats.

The link for this software is here:

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=244

There is also a Power DVD application available here:

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=243

This is for those who would like to have the codecs to play all of your media installed on your personal Ubuntu install.

Yes, these are pay packages but should make those who have issues about using this software free of charge feel better about themselves when they purchase these wonderful products.

EDIT:

There are free versions available of this software from the repos.

Here are instructions from one of the links in my sig:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Intrepid#Proprietary_Applications

or simply

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Simian Man
November 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Why advertise this? You're just going to trick new users into buying these when they can get them for free from the repos.

Bachstelze
November 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Why advertise this? You're just going to trick new users into buying these when they can get them for free from the repos.

Except that the codecs you get for free from the repos are illegal in some jurisdictions.

SunnyRabbiera
November 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I say screw "legal", because "legal" only favors multi billion dollar companies that need to come down to earth someday.

NoaHall
November 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I say screw "legal", because "legal" only favors multi billion dollar companies that need to come down to earth someday.

You won't get sued for not using the Fluendo pack. There's illegal, and "illegal". Only if you install it, then distribute the computer with it installed on, will you get sued(and even that's unlikely unless you're a big company).

snowpine
November 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
You won't get sued for not using the Fluendo pack. There's illegal, and "illegal". Only if you install it, then distribute the computer with it installed on, will you get sued(and even that's unlikely unless you're a big company).

Tell that to the ordinary people sued for music file sharing... :(

Kudos to Fluendo for providing a legal option for those Ubuntu users who choose to take advantage of it.

Simian Man
November 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Most people who install Linux will have had a legal version of Windows which comes with purchased legal codecs. Besides the only reason we need these codecs is due to them being used by other devices and/or purchasing services. They are actually worse than free alternatives such as Ogg Vorbis and are only used for practical reasons. So, yeah I say screw the legal technicality.

Fluendo is only useful for people who can't afford to disobey the letter of a stupid law, such as businesses.

steveneddy
November 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Not all software is free. Just because we can get it for free does not make it right.

There are those who would like an alternative to make themselves feel better about playing a DVD.

Except that the codecs you get for free from the repos are illegal in some jurisdictions.

Yes, these are pay packages but should make those who have issues about using this software free of charge feel better about themselves when they purchase these wonderful products.

I will change the original post to reflect that there is a free alternative. I started to do this at first but completely forgot about the "flamers".

Rainstride
November 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
For those that may not know, there are codec packs available from Cannonical, the parent company of Ubuntu, that will allow you to playback .mp3 and most mpeg audio and video formats.

The link for this software is here:

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=244

There is also a Power DVD application available here:

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=243

This is for those who would like to have the codecs to play all of your media installed on your personal Ubuntu install.

fluendo has a dvd player app also http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/fluendo-dvd-player/

Mike'sHardLinux
November 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Too bad PowerDVD for Linux doesn't support blu-ray the way the windows version does. :-( Oh well, it says it only supports 32-bit, too.

steveneddy
November 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Fluendo is only useful for people who can't afford to disobey the letter of a stupid law, such as businesses.

Just because one feel that laws are stupid doesn't make the law irrelevant.

As you stated, some MUST obey the laws, others have an ethical or moral drive to obey the laws.

But we should not disregard these products. There are many who could benefit from these packages.

Besides, sometimes it just feels good to do the right thing.

steveneddy
November 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Too bad PowerDVD for Linux doesn't support blu-ray the way the windows version does. :-( Oh well, it says it only supports 32-bit, too.

Agreed

Simian Man
November 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
As you stated, some MUST obey the laws, others have an ethical or moral drive to obey the laws.

But we should not disregard these products. There are many who could benefit from these packages.

Besides, sometimes it just feels good to do the right thing.

I respect that some need or want to purchase these legal codecs. I just think that advertising them on this forum, which caters to Linux beginners, is a bad idea. Just so that new users understand they don't need to buy anything to listen to mp3's on Linux.

Dragonbite
November 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
You can also go to the Fluendo website and get the MP3 codec for free. I got that and saved it on my server so whenever I refresh my Ubuntu installation (also for Fedora, openSUSE, etc.) I pull that in and install it (pretty simple).

Of course it doesn't cover any of the other codecs, but it is legal and free.

Roasted
November 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM

This comment wins life.

Dragonbite
November 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Would be even cooler to get something like Ogg and Vorbis more adopted so we don't have to worry about all of this crap!

Skripka
November 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Which basically means the US.

cmay
November 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM
For open solaris these are worth gold. and I had two times a mandriva linux with these codecs and also lindvd. I think its great and fluendo is a good thing for some users. however I wont buy these online because I know how to get the things for free for any platform they support and I never buy stuff online. I do not trust online shopping. could I buy these in a computer shop local I would to support them.