PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome OS webcast

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
In case anybody is interested... The presentation of Google OS should start shortly.

http://investor.shareholder.com/googpr/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=75092

(hope this hasn't been posted already - searched the forums but didn't find anything)

Islington
November 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Live comment people.

Eclipse.
November 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Direct link to open in your favourite media player:

mms://a1775.l3402457774.c34024.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1775/34024/v0001/reflector:57774

I'm so excited! :D

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
it's beginning now

Islington
November 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
so voice just came on. they will begin soon.

wojox
November 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the media link eclipse.

Mazza558
November 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM
It looks like it's based on Ubuntu. The source code was just posted on the chromium site, here's the list of packages. It uses apt.

http://src.chromium.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=chromiumos.git;a=blob;f=src/package_repo/repo_list_dev.txt;h=7be40563a58172d5dced5c30db5ca3 e439c18448;hb=HEAD

Islington
November 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Mazza: apt would suggest that it is debian based

Mazza558
November 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Mazza: apt would suggest that it is debian based

8 # Contents of /etc/apt/sources.list:
9 # deb file:///home/kwaters/trunk/repo/apt chromeos_dev main restricted multiverse universe
10 # deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic main restricted multiverse universe
;)

It's started anyhow.

Islington
November 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
no launch today, launch in 1 year. opensourced today.

wojox
November 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM
< snip >

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM
They're developing Chrome for Mac as well.

gnomeuser
November 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
what is this twitter?

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
what is this twitter?

http://twitter.com ?

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
http://twitter.com ?

he forgot a "," after "this"

wojox
November 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I guess they don't have any graphic artists at goggle.

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM
he forgot a "," after "this"

oh, sorry.

blur xc
November 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'm waiting for bsod like in the ms demo from years ago...

BM

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm waiting for bsod like in the ms demo from years ago...

BM
hahaha! I was thinking the same thing!

But I like how they made fun of the Office Web Application ("if you click on an Excel file, what happens? The MS Office Web App opens... they worked so hard for us to have it", or something like that).

Anyway, I must say I'm impressed so far. It looks simple and polished. Hope the linux community will benefit from it.

Islington
November 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
read only root? what

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM
read only root? what

just like linux.

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
:lolflag:
"No one clicks me anymore"

Islington
November 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
just like linux.

this is going to more locked down than that.

blur xc
November 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
just like linux.

the / partition isn't mounted read only, is it? It's just owned by root, and read only for all other users, right?

I did notice though, that for all the youtube videos they didn't play any of them in full screen or HD mode.

BM

omar8
November 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
What I want is to be able to run my own "cloud" server. Google seems to be using "opensource" as their way of getting more control of the users data and system while trying to make it seem the other way round.
Either way, it doesn't seem to compete with Windows but with Linux Netbooks.

Edit:
Seems strange that their Mobile OS is far more powerful than their Netbook OS.

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Yes, it's net-centered as we all expected.

But what makes me so interested is that hopefully the power of a company like Google will "convince" hardware/codec manufacturers to acknowledge that linux exists.

wojox
November 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Invites gone. Islington, lzfy, Eclipse, and Grenage are the lucky winners.

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Invites gone.
I have a few invites too. In case others are interested, they can PM me with their email address.

omar8
November 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Had this not been released by Google it would have been ignored. Can anybody see a benefit of using this rather than using Moblin?

Excedio
November 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Did anyone record it? I watched it live but you like to get a copy.

blur xc
November 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Did anyone record it? I watched it live but you like to get a copy.

I'm sure it'll be on youtube soon. I missed the first 30 mins of it...

I find it interesting that it's not intended to be a direct competitor with a full featured desktop os.

BM

Excedio
November 19th, 2009, 09:17 PM
My favorite quote...

Call us dumb, but we want to design this for out customers...

I don't think that is verbatim, but darn close. :-)

Nickedynick
November 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I think Google might have shot themselves in the foot with this one. They seem to have stopped short of loads of features, removed others completely and ended up with something quite unsettling.

I'm sure it will get a lot of press, but the biggest positive I've heard from today is that they're offering code upstream that will benefit the rest of the Linux community.

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I think Google might have shot themselves in the foot with this one. They seem to have stopped short of loads of features, removed others completely and ended up with something quite unsettling.

I think we should see this as a long-term project. Today it's a bit crazy (and it's not ready either), but it may have a bright future in a few years.

they're offering code upstream that will benefit the rest of the Linux community.
This is what I'm hoping too. Unfortunately, money talks - and when one of the biggest corporations in the world speaks, lots of people start running.

blur xc
November 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM

I'm sure it will get a lot of press, but the biggest positive I've heard from today is that they're offering code upstream that will benefit the rest of the Linux community.

yeah- but you have to know this is a first stab, and it will evolve. And since it is an open source project, it will evolve, and there will be forks along the way...

BM

tacantara
November 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
JMO....

This may have some potential to help out the Linux community as a whole. Google has the clout (in more ways than one) to get the cooperation of hardware manufacturers with regard to making Linux-friendly drivers. Google just has that knack for making their products appealing to the masses, so the idea may catch on. In order for any of this to benefit the entire Linux community though, they'll have to take that step from working strictly with netbooks, and design the OS for laptops and desktops. Until that happens, they'll have a product that will appeal to masses in a niche market.

I understand why they're designing with the netbook in mind, but there are laptop & desktop users who spend a lot of time on the Internet also. One thing that I noticed is that they can't say they'll have a system that'll work in an offline mode, except for some features. For instance, I didn't get the feeling that I could prepare a memo offline (then finish it online). Perhaps I missed something (I did start watching about 1/2 hour late).

blur xc
November 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
JMO....

This may have some potential to help out the Linux community as a whole. Google has the clout (in more ways than one) to get the cooperation of hardware manufacturers with regard to making Linux-friendly drivers. Google just has that knack for making their products appealing to the masses, so the idea may catch on. In order for any of this to benefit the entire Linux community though, they'll have to take that step from working strictly with netbooks, and design the OS for laptops and desktops. Until that happens, they'll have a product that will appeal to masses in a niche market.

I understand why they're designing with the netbook in mind, but there are laptop & desktop users who spend a lot of time on the Internet also. One thing that I noticed is that they can't say they'll have a system that'll work in an offline mode, except for some features. For instance, I didn't get the feeling that I could prepare a memo offline (then finish it online). Perhaps I missed something (I did start watching about 1/2 hour late).

I think that was asked in the Q&A, and I guess there's a feature in html5 that can cache apps(?) for use offline... But, I dunno. I'm dumb in all that web junk.

BM

Regenweald
November 19th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Wow. an OS of tabs and everything stored online. Absolutely useless to me. I hope the rest of Linux benefits from codecs and drivers.

josephellengar
November 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM
So, anybody have a recording? I can't find one. It's not on youtube-only a few very short segments. I missed the whole thing :(

phrostbyte
November 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
One thing that I noticed is that they can't say they'll have a system that'll work in an offline mode, except for some features. For instance, I didn't get the feeling that I could prepare a memo offline (then finish it online). Perhaps I missed something (I did start watching about 1/2 hour late).

You can with Google Gears and GOogle Apps

LunaticHiatus
November 19th, 2009, 10:48 PM
holy crap, it seems like they borrowed an awful lot from ubuntu... Who would have thought it...

gnomeuser
November 19th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I wonder how they plan to handle things like my existing music/podcast/audiobook collection.. do I upload those 108 megs to some server (and how long do they expect me to spend on this task), then how do I sync it to my Sansa Fuze when I want to have music with me in at the gym or a good book for a walk in nature.

I suspect they will just discard such use cases as.. legacy and hope I can afford an android phone with an unlimited dataplan and that my provider will have coverage.. everywhere.

In many regards I think they have some good ideas on things like security and this is how a computer is "supposed" to work. Turn it on and there you are, a productive environment that does what you need. I think it is a good fit for netbooks though I am sad that they decided to forgo supporting existing netbooks like my EeePC 1002HA.

I say bring it on, I am excited to see this range of devices and see where ChromiumOS goes.

Johnsie
November 20th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I just watched the whole webcast... What I got from it is:

-There will be very little privacy for users because the apps you use are being run and controlled by other computers.

-You will only own the hardware, not the software on it. The cloud will

-Google will know what apps you are using, for how long, where etc.

-Google are really emphasising how they intend getting the Open
Source computer to work for them (probably for free)and will make a tonne of money off that. Yes they will be contributing downstream, but how much will that really help other Linux distros?

I'd rather wait a bit longer for computer to boot and have some privacy than selling my soul to Google and letting them know everything I do online. The Internet is already a joke for data mining and this just takes it to a whole new level.

dvl300
November 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
url for wmp
mms://a830.v167321.c16732.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/830/16732/0/sas-qp.onstreammedia.com/origin/shareholder.com/Hosted/Google/39856GOOGPR.wmv

josephellengar
November 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM
url for wmp
mms://a830.v167321.c16732.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/830/16732/0/sas-qp.onstreammedia.com/origin/shareholder.com/Hosted/Google/39856GOOGPR.wmv

Thanks!

dvl300
November 20th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I also found the google doc shown for google chrome os
http://docs.google.com/present/view?id=c4nprkt_159fpvjjjg4
But i don't have permission to view

froggyswamp
November 20th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Now that we know more, Canonical can rest assured Google isn't a significant threat in the next 10 years unless Chrome OS changes its policy. All the buzz and features are about just having a working browser. No videos on your HDD, no IDEs for developers (like Eclipse), no games like Nexuiz, no torrents, nothing, nothing! just a big "Google shop" designed to effectively steal your privacy and limit your computer to only do what Google's browser can do. That's pathetic for desktop usage. Chrome OS is actually limiting the netbooks usage by not allowing users to use desktop apps, brilliant. That's very good for Google but makes for a very limited experience for desktop and netbook users no matter how "important" the internet is. An usual netbook is still (much) better for it can use both the Chrome browser + use desktop apps - big win over Google's crippled Browser OS.

gnomeuser
November 20th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Now that we know more, Canonical can rest assured Google isn't a significant threat in the next 10 years unless Chrome OS changes its policy. All the buzz and features are about just having a working browser. No videos on your HDD, no IDEs for developers (like Eclipse), no games like Nexuiz, no torrents, nothing, nothing! just a big "Google shop" designed to effectively steal your privacy and limit your computer to only do what Google's browser can do. That's pathetic for desktop usage. Chrome OS is actually limiting the netbooks usage by not allowing users to use desktop apps, brilliant. That's very good for Google but makes for a very limited experience for desktop and netbook users no matter how "important" the internet is. An usual netbook is still (much) better for it can use both the Chrome browser + use desktop apps - big win over Google's crippled Browser OS.

I believe they (and others) aim to provide webapps for the most common such tasks. E.g. Mozilla's beSpin editor might grow to fill the task of being an IDE.

I wouldn't say that there are applications that simply won't run , it's a matter of people creating them.

As this is a netbook OS, the lack of high end FPS games is likely not going to be a big problem. The hardware already is lacking for this - this might change but in the same time frame we will see both Mozilla and Google bring 3D to the web (both have tech demos of this technology today). There is no reason when the hardware supports such things that it could not run in this environment.

The matter of content is a bigger issue, as I pointed out above they do seem to disregard that I have hundreds of gigs of content which I would love to access on my computers, including my chromeOS device. How to get from A to B is not addressed at all and I doubt they will.

froggyswamp
November 20th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Which is what I was roughly saying, no videos on your HDD, no existing desktop apps will run unless implemented as a browser version and a ton of other endless limitations, heck, it probably limits your possibilities more than Vista's DRM cause this one will at least let you store videos and music locally and let you do other stuff too. If I have to choose between Windows 7 and Browser OS I'll of course go for Windows 7, even on netbooks.

josephellengar
November 20th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Which is what I was roughly saying, no videos on your HDD, no existing desktop apps will run unless implemented as a browser version and a ton of other endless limitations, heck, it probably limits your possibilities more than Vista's DRM cause this one will at least let you store videos and music locally and let you do other stuff too. If I have to choose between Windows 7 and Browser OS I'll of course go for Windows 7, even on netbooks.

I don't think that it's *that* bad. It definitely has its place. As long as the hardware on which it runs is cheap enough, I'm sure that many will buy it. It would, of course, have to have an integrated service plan, as without the internet any of these computers would be crippled.

Regenweald
November 20th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I don't see an operating system. I see a thin client and great marketing. When 'the average user' realizes that they can save nothing to their local drive, there will be problems.

josephellengar
November 20th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I don't see an operating system. I see a thin client and great marketing. When 'the average user' realizes that they can save nothing to their local drive, there will be problems.

Yes, but if it's integrated well enough, everything will be integrated, so it won't matter that nothing is on your local drive. Also, they said that you can use a thumb drive.

frup
November 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Content can be stored on flash drives I think.

What will be interesting is if you want to save something from your browser if it transfers it to your cloud storage server to server... for a lot of people they could transfer things to their cloud much faster than they could on their own connection.

I won't be using it.

josephellengar
November 20th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Content can be stored on flash drives I think.

What will be interesting is if you want to save something from your browser if it transfers it to your cloud storage server to server... for a lot of people they could transfer things to their cloud much faster than they could on their own connection.

I won't be using it.

I won't either. Too limited, unless the price is good enough. Might be nice on a tablet.

Shibblet
November 20th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Completely Open Source! You Go Google.

lovinglinux
November 20th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I'm not sure if it is the full content, but some videos are available at http://www.youtube.com/user/googlechrome#p/a/u/0/ANMrzw7JFzA

Looks interesting, but without hard drive storage, it's useless for me too.

NormanFLinux
November 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Google Chrome OS is intended to be run as a "pure cloud" OS requiring specialized hardware to run. If you want to install it on a regular netbook, you are out of luck. The entire point is to have an OS that is "always on." While the core is going to be *buntu based, the GUI and applications have nothing in common with those found a desktop Unix system. This is a radical departure from every OS now in existence.

pwnst*r
November 20th, 2009, 06:21 AM
When 'the average user' realizes that they can save nothing to their local drive, there will be problems.

you're wrong.

Mikeatude
November 20th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I didn't see this posted yet, but the webcast has been archived here:
http://investor.shareholder.com/googpr/events.cfm

hellmet
November 20th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I like how he talks about all current Operating Systems as "Traditional OSs" .. It does make some sense.. There hasn't been a revolution in OS design in ages now..

jrusso2
November 20th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Looks like some forum members owe me an apology. Seems my views of the future were rather accurate from my postings when Chrome OS was first announced and I was belittled for thinking suck.