PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Virtual Box Install problem

Coach_Mark
November 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I have downloaded VB 3.0 in order to load up windows XP to run a couple things that don't run on anything else. i have downloaded an XPsp3 ISO file. I have put it on both a CD and my hard drive, with the same results. attached are two screen shots of how i have set VB to look at the file. these shots are with the ISO on the desktop. i tell VB to look for the ISO, but when I try to launch, it tells give me the message "no bootable medium found." can any one help me figure this out?

snowpine
November 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Can you boot from the CD regularly (not in virtualbox)? If not, I would recommend contacting Microsoft customer support directly and requesting a replacement CD for the defective one they sold you. If the CD has a "check md5sum" or "check CD integrity" feature (like Ubuntu does) that is worth trying as well.

mocoloco
November 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Your VB setup looks right. It might be that the disc actually isn't bootable, try booting from your CD on your actual system to find out.

Coach_Mark
December 31st, 2009, 01:20 AM
I finally had time to get back to this. Turns out there were a couple of issues. First, the ISO download was apparently bad. I borrowed a disc from someone and it loaded just fine. Second, I could not get the F8 agreement to work. an issue I had elsewhere provided the solution. There was a setting in the BIOS on the Dell which had the function keys set to do multimedia first, instead of the function. I changed the setting, and everything worked great.