PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GUI vanished after upgrade to 9.10

pooja
November 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm in a big mess right now.

I just now finished upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10. The installation process went on smooth and without problems except for a certain line a caught a glimpse of - it said it failed to upgrade some nvidia drivers, I'm not sure, it passed by quickly. Anyway, I went on restarting the system but when I rebooted into Ubuntu there wasn't any GUI, I was left with just the CLI. I was asked to give my login and password, which I did but then didn't know how to get back the wonderful desktop I had, with the folders and documents saved in there.
Please help me, I don't want to reinstall the whole system. I did the upgrade via torrent and then mounted the ISO file as written in the community's guide. Also I opted not to install the Internet updates during the upgrade process. I was hoping to reboot into the desktop and then fix all the most recent updates.
Help me please.
Thank you.

pooja
November 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I think I should have opted to install the updates within the upgrading process, maybe it would have got the nvidia drivers from the INternet and I could have accessed the Ubuntu desktop. Now I have a black screen that flickers and says I need to put may login credentials. Can anyone tell me how to install the most recent updates via CLI? Maybe this will fix the problem with the GUI. Thank you.

(Waiting anxiously...)