PDA

View Full Version : Out of interest, how many members have *wiped* OS X and installed GNU/Linux instead?

youbuntu
November 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Hi all. I just wanted to know, out of curiosity (no, this is *NOT* a flame magnet please) how many of you good people have an Intel Mac, but have completely wiped out OS X & installed a GNU/Linux distro instead?.

The reason I ask this, is because this is exactly what I have done - I own a 2009 Mac mini, but I decided I would wipe off OS X & try the machine running *completely* on Ubuntu 9.10 for one month, and if I could manage it without all my "iApps", possibly some time longer.

Any interesting stories?.

Thanks.

BFG
November 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm considering doing the same with our intel mac mini, but haven;t put any energy into it as yet.

youbuntu
November 19th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I'm considering doing the same with our intel mac mini, but haven;t put any energy into it as yet.

It works a treat - I'm using it now. The only thing that doesn't work on the NVIDIA Mac mini so far, is rebooting.

Keyper7
November 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I didn't, but there are some folks in my lab who bought Mac workstations and installed Ubuntu on them. That was because, at least back then, Macs were actually the *cheaper* option for computers with high horsepower (eight core CPUs and such).

Works perfectly, by the way.

tcoffeep
November 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM
If I did have OS X on a piece of hardware, I wouldn't wipe it for linux - screw that. I'd run linux on a VM, but no - OS X is quite solid enough and gives me all the unix I can really ask for, aside from FreeBSD.

zagz
November 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I did this not long ago with dads 24' iMac, he still has the install dvd's but has never felt the need to use them as Ubuntu is great for his needs, oh yeah and it looks utterly beautiful.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Why would someone buy a Macintosh computer only to completely wipe OSX and use another OS? Apple hardware is overpriced and the only logical reason to use it is to run OSX. You can run Linux on pretty much anything.

chris200x9
November 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM
me my macbook is 100% arch it's so much better...it's snappier :)

Fzang
November 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Why would someone buy a Macintosh computer only to completely wipe OSX and use another OS? Apple hardware is overpriced and the only logical reason to use it is to run OSX. You can run Linux on pretty much anything.

Exactly my thoughts. To me, this would be iMurder and a waste of money...

NoaHall
November 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have. Linux-based operating systems are much more stable. But I've kept OS X since, so I can test things on the three major platforms.

Regenweald
November 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM
So rather than build a machine with the exact same specs for hundreds cheaper. You frag the entire point of buying a mac and install Linux. So you paid a few hundred extra for a case #-o

RandomJoe
November 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Only time I did that was with my old PPC based Mac Mini. Had some issues doing what I wanted with OS X at the time (Panther, IIRC...) so tried a few different Linux distros on it.

The new Macbook Pro was going to be dual-boot with Ubuntu, but in the end I found I was very pleased with Snow Leopard and also realized I far preferred being able to run the two OSes simultaneously so put Ubuntu in a VM. Best of both worlds that way, far as I'm concerned.

hkgonra
November 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
why would someone buy a macintosh computer only to completely wipe osx and use another os? Apple hardware is overpriced and the only logical reason to use it is to run osx. You can run linux on pretty much anything.

+1 !!!!

zagz
November 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM

It boils down to needs, if one needs photoshop or music editing apps then I would think most people would go for a propriety OS and would be in the profession as I find it hard to believe a none pro would spend so much brass on apps. when these needs are no longer and just browsing net/playing music and general actions than for me it gets no better than Linux

ticopelp
November 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM

I'm not the OP, obviously, but I did it for the learning experience and to see how well Linux ran on a Mac.

I also didn't buy the Powerbook with the intention of running Linux on it, but time passes, opinions change, and once I got tired of paying for applications, it was more fun to put Linux on the machine than for it to become a paperweight.

Regenweald
November 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I'm not the OP, obviously, but I did it for the learning experience and to see how well Linux ran on a Mac.

I also didn't buy the Powerbook with the intention of running Linux on it, but time passes, opinions change, and once I got tired of paying for applications, it was more fun to put Linux on the machine than for it to become a paperweight.

makes sense....:D

schauerlich
November 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
If I did have OS X on a piece of hardware, I wouldn't wipe it for linux - screw that. I'd run linux on a VM, but no - OS X is quite solid enough and gives me all the unix I can really ask for, aside from FreeBSD.

These.

Also: The only way to update the firmware on the computer is with OS X, so I wouldn't recommend someone wipe OS X even if they bought a Mac and switched to Linux later.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I can see the possible merit of doing something like that for an older computer. But the OP bought his Mac less than a year ago.

Myglaren
November 19th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Linus did :)

Linus Blog (http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/)

Myglaren
November 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Double post, sorry.

ticopelp
November 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I can see the possible merit of doing something like that for an older computer. But the OP bought his Mac less than a year ago.

The way I see it, it's his computer, he can do whatever he wants with it and freaking out that he's spending his money differently than I would isn't really relevant.

youbuntu
November 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM
The way I see it, it's his computer, he can do whatever he wants with it and freaking out that he's spending his money differently than I would isn't really relevant.

Indeed. I am considering selling it shortly, in order to purchase a more cost effective solution, upon which I shall install GNU/Linux, naturally. ;)

Grifulkin
November 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Honestly this seems like a waste of money. You spend so much money on a mac why would you want to erase what you paid most of the money for, the OS.

youbuntu
November 20th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Honestly this seems like a waste of money. You spend so much money on a mac why would you want to erase what you paid most of the money for, the OS.

I still have the Leopard DVDs - they don't mysteriously disappear suddenly when I install Ubuntu. The fact is I have the Mac now - don't get confused into thinking I purchased it *for* Ubuntu - I didn't, but I cannot *un*-buy the Mac, so... ya know.