PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update the menu.lst in Jaunty

praveenthivari
November 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I am still in Jaunty for some bugs in Karmic.
I installed it yesterday and updated it. In the end it asked me, whether I liked to keep the default grub settings or install a new one in it's place. I gave NO. And that was the mistake I think I did. Because now menu.lst still shows the OLD kernels.
How do I update the menu.lst to show even the new kernel which installed during the update.

I tried
sudo update-grub But it doesn't change anything

darkod
November 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
You can edit it with:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Copy the same entry as for the old kernel and then change it according to where the new kernel is and the title to show the new kernel.

praveenthivari
November 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM
You can edit it with:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Copy the same entry as for the old kernel and then change it according to where the new kernel is and the title to show the new kernel.

Thanks for the reply.
I did it.:)
I hv couple of questions more.
1.Can I delete the Old kernel?
Last time I did it from Computer Janitor, ubuntu wouldn't start again. Just blinking cursor after grub menu.
2. How do I install newest kernels?

darkod
November 19th, 2009, 02:01 PM
The kernel doesn't take too much space so I wouldn't delete it. Let it stay there for a while until you are sure there are no issues with the new one. You can even leave it in the grub menu too because if sometimes the new doesn't work you can just select the older version.

I am new to ubuntu and I haven't tried yet to update the kernel, but if you google around I am sure there are some tutorials. On different versions of linux I have used before it was as simple as executing update kernel, in ubuntu probably would be:
sudo apt-get update kernel

PS. If your question is solved it is recommended to mark the thread as solved, only you can do that. Above the first post there is Thread Tools. You can do it there. It helps other people.

drs305
November 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I did it.:)
I hv couple of questions more.
1.Can I delete the Old kernel?
Last time I did it from Computer Janitor, ubuntu wouldn't start again. Just blinking cursor after grub menu.
2. How do I install newest kernels?

You should be able to install new kernels by updating your repository lists and checking for new packages with:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

You can also install new kernels by opening Synaptic, press Reload, and then searching for "linux-image" to see the available kernels.

As for removing old kernels, I have some instructions on removing older kernels in this link, although I too would recommend keeping at least one older kernel that works.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=818177
Refer to the section "Removing Older Kernels"

praveenthivari
November 19th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks again,

I did read somewhere that we have to keep atleast one kernel spare.

Ok, I was refering to newest and not the one which is provided in the repo.;)

Irony
November 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I did read somewhere that we have to keep atleast one kernel spare.
No, when you are happy the new kernel is working then uninstall the old kernel - you don't need spare kernels.

praveenthivari
November 19th, 2009, 04:32 PM
No, when you are happy the new kernel is working then uninstall the old kernel - you don't need spare kernels.

Ok. So I can delete them now.
Thanks for the reply.
And wat about installing latest kernels. I am happy with the present one but just to try it.:D