PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing JDK

Abadon125
November 19th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Sorry if this is a simple question. I am trying to install Eclipse and the JDK on Ubuntu 9.10 and it is much harder than I expected.

I have Eclipse installed (from Software center) but I can not find any current documentation on installing the JDK. Can someone please help? I am new to ubuntu so the simpler the instructions the better. Thanks so much!

myrtle1908
November 19th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Sorry if this is a simple question. I am trying to install Eclipse and the JDK on Ubuntu 9.10 and it is much harder than I expected.

I have Eclipse installed (from Software center) but I can not find any current documentation on installing the JDK. Can someone please help? I am new to ubuntu so the simpler the instructions the better. Thanks so much!

You can do it easily in the bash shell with apt-get but as you are new to Ubuntu this may be a more comfortable method:-

1. Start the Synaptic Package Manager which should be found in System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager

2. Type java6 in the quick search box and press enter.

3. It should find a bunch of 'sun-java6-*' packages. Tick the ones you want eg. sun-java6-jdk and press the 'Apply' button in the toolbar.

Abadon125
November 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I actually did try that but for some reason keep getting an error. I posted a screen shot below.

MonoDeem
November 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Documents package have been laying broken for years. Exclude it from the list and you'll have no errors :)

Abadon125
November 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Documents package have been laying broken for years. Exclude it from the list and you'll have no errors :)

How do I do that? When I type no it then does something and asks me the question again and I say no again then it quits.
Thanks again :)

MonoDeem
November 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
To not to make things too complicated:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-fonts
License agreement - Tab + Enter ..

Abadon125
November 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Sorry this is so difficult. I got another errors so i followed its instructions and it brought me to the same prompt. See Screenshot

Abadon125
November 20th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I believe I got it all installed. Now if its ok, one more probably very simple question. Lets say I have a nice little .java file that I wrote. How do I compile and run it in Ubuntu?

EDIT: I actually was able to figure this one out on my own. Thanks anyways

itsme33
February 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
i am also having problem with installing java-jdk.I've installed several times but i got the same error.i've the screenshot below,somebody help..... I've a project on java to be done..

ashokjbp
May 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hi! I am new to Ubuntu. I installed JDK following this forum. I received the follwowing message.

Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 2 added doc-base file(s)...
Registering documents with scrollkeeper...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.20dlj-0ubuntu1.9.10_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.20dlj-0ubuntu1.9.10_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jdk_6.20dlj-0ubuntu1.9.10_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Was my JDK installed properly?