PDA

View Full Version : I tried Fedora ....and now I'm back

Cardale
November 19th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I tried Fedora for about an hour. I installed it, didn't just use the live CD. It was a bit slower for me. The windows weren't as poppy and everything was more difficult to accomplish. Originally I figured Fedora would be as evolved as Ubuntu, but I was wrong. The true Lion of Linux distributions really is Ubuntu at this point.

One thing I did like about Fedora was the way yum showed download status with those little equal signs.... :D but that's it.

pwnst*r
November 19th, 2009, 05:33 AM
hmm

MonoDeem
November 19th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I tried Fedora for about an hour. I installed it, didn't just use the live CD. It was a bit slower for me. The windows weren't as poppy and everything was more difficult to accomplish. Originally I figured Fedora would be as evolved as Ubuntu, but I was wrong. The true Lion of Linux distributions really is Ubuntu at this point.

One thing I did like about Fedora was the way yum showed download status with those little equal signs.... :D but that's it.

Should I read further ?

Frak
November 19th, 2009, 05:59 AM

I judge everything by just using it for an hour.

schwim
November 19th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Me too. Hell on wives, but makes for practically painless separations.

pwnst*r
November 19th, 2009, 06:02 AM

this is how i bought my new pants.

Frak
November 19th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Me too. Hell on wives, but makes for practically painless separations.

"So here's the agenda, Dinner at 5:00, Movie at 5:10, back to my place at 5:30, get romantic at 5:40, and that leaves 17 minutes for me to propose to you."

this is how i bought my new pants.

My new car. Fourth wheel fell off BUT that's OK!

kevCast
November 19th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Neat(?)

Cardale
November 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
If you look at benchmarks it does have better 3D statistics which I did bother to look at as well as doing my own benchmarks for each...haha http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora12_ubuntu910&num=1 for my system Ubuntu was better.

An hour is plenty of time if your smart like me. Even with wives.... In fact I am thinking about becoming a marriage counsellor.

Grenage
November 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM
romantic at 5:40, and that leaves 17 minutes for me to propose to you

Surely 18 minutes? ;)

HappinessNow
November 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM

10 seconds is usually enough.

froggyswamp
November 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Fedora is designed for people who used Linux in the past (to say the least).
In Ubuntu I just click a button to install Nvidia, on Fedora I have to learn about "linux headers", "compilation", "how to kill X" etc etc just to have good graphics.
I'd like to drop Ubuntu for Fedora but I can't stand distros that (roughly saying) just sit and wait for the user to do everything "alone".

maflynn
November 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Wow, giving it a whole hour, I suppose you have extremely full grasp of fedora now, and you were able to make an indepth educated decision based on your excessive time with the OS ;)

Personally, I'm on fedora, myself and while I may not have put the time in that you have, I do have a couple of months under my belt. I find a lot of things better in f12, and some things not so much.

for instance, fedora ships with on open source software, no proprietary, you need to add a couple of repositories to yum to get access to some proprietary software, like the nvidia drivers. This can be viewed good and bad, depending on your needs.

Personally, I'm liking how yum and installing rpms work better then apt-get and deb packages. You can really bog down the system by adding repositories to apt-get, but for fedora, its a much more concise list.

all in all, ymmv and if fedora isn't your bag, that's fine. Ubuntu is a good distro as well :p

m4tic
November 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I had already forgotten about it but you guys rememinded me about Rory Cellan-Jones of the BBC the week Ubuntu 9.10 was releasd. He tried it for 24hrs and users were going crazy about it. I thought is was Linux users in general who were angry, but now i see it's the Ubuntuers. I say this as i see no Fedora guys trying to sway this guy to their system.

ignore my post, i just realised a lot of things, i wont stand a chance

wilee-nilee
November 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
As smart as you, what does that mean?

PmDematagoda
November 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Fedora is designed for people who used Linux in the past (to say the least).
In Ubuntu I just click a button to install Nvidia, on Fedora I have to learn about "linux headers", "compilation", "how to kill X" etc etc just to have good graphics.
I'd like to drop Ubuntu for Fedora but I can't stand distros that (roughly saying) just sit and wait for the user to do everything "alone".

They provide the Nvidia drivers through the RPM Fusion repositories, so the process to install the Nvidia drivers is almost similar to that in Ubuntu(albeit you do need to use the CLI once to install the required repositories).

If you have a video card that uses opensource drivers like Intel ones, then your need to use the CLI is very little. And if you are content with using drivers like nouveau instead of the Nvidia binary driver, then you could get the same experience on other video cards too.

In my case, everything worked out of the box and I feel that it is so easy to do development work on it because it always uses bleeding edge stuff(and it gives me a nice preview for what could be found in other distros in the future alongside the development benefits). Oh, and I like the artwork better too. :)

RiceMonster
November 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
When I tried Fedora, I didn't go back :).

Whatever, enjoy Ubuntu.

Dragonbite
November 19th, 2009, 02:41 PM
10 seconds is usually enough.

In about 10 seconds, on the LiveCD, when I realized my Broadcom wireless card was working out-of-the-box I went further.

Karmic left me with blinking CAP and NUM lock lights.

So I'm giving Fedora a go for the time being.

Regenweald
November 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I don't feel the 'switch' bug anymore. It's all the same :) Fed has a great security control centre. I'd like to try it out at some point, but outside of that......

hoppipolla
November 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM

yeah, I understand this, I had a similar experience :)

Simian Man
November 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
They provide the Nvidia drivers through the RPM Fusion repositories, so the process to install the Nvidia drivers is almost similar to that in Ubuntu(albeit you do need to use the CLI once to install the required repositories).

Actually, you can install the RPM Fusion repo via Firefox and Packagekit following these instructions (http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration).

In about 10 seconds, on the LiveCD, when I realized my Broadcom wireless card was working out-of-the-box I went further.

Wow really, what card do you have? Mine didn't work out of the box with the OpenFWWF drivers, but I am optimistic about that project. Are your download speeds comparable to the restricted driver?

Dragonbite
November 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Wow really, what card do you have? Mine didn't work out of the box with the OpenFWWF drivers, but I am optimistic about that project. Are your download speeds comparable to the restricted driver?

I believe it is a 4309.

It is the same (Dell Inspirion D400) which I had previously (until a little incident with a cup of water). I just got it last night and I didn't have a screwdriver with me to free the hard drive and slide in my Ubuntu HD, and since Ubuntu didn't even boot up live (flashing CAP and NUM LOCK lights) I just went ahead and installed Fedora 12.

The Ubuntu (Jaunty) system had some real trouble dropping connections so I switched to WICD.

Fedora is using the Network Manager and all last night it never dropped the connection. I tried uploading something to my Dropbox account and that took a couple of hours (~35 kbps out of the 70-80 for my DSL).

I can do further checking/tests if you want when I get home.

~sHyLoCk~
November 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
How is KDE in F12? KDE in F11 kinda sucked for me. Is networkmanager working?

Dragonbite
November 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM

I'm not sure, but I may try it out soon.

The last time I did Fedora KDE I was impressed with it, though I've always have had problems with the wireless.

I'll have to download and try the LiveCD and find out if it too handles the Broadcom nicely.

I don't use the DVD because I don't have a DVD drive on the laptop.

Dragonbite
November 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM

So far it seems to be alright. I'm still getting the constant, stable signal even outside on my patio ;). So nice to not have to do anything to get it running.

As for KDE, it seems to be working nicely. I am usually a Gnome person so it will take a bit to get used to KDE but it seems to be a fairly solid KDE.

The LiveCD includes KOffice instead of OpenOffice, which is fine for me at this point. I had to install DigiKam and Amaork myself and am trying to figure out if I can use my Fluendo MP3 codec in Amarok.

While Fedora seems to do some really nice wallpapers and such, their overall theme is pretty basic.

Stan_1936
November 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! LOL!!!! LOLLLLL!!!!!!LOOOLLL!!!!!!!

What about these things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condom)? How do you judge them?

...I can't stand distros that (roughly saying) just sit and wait for the user to do everything "alone".

Ia gree! Wellsaid!