PDA

View Full Version : Help... with homework.

Aflack
November 19th, 2009, 04:54 AM
THREAD CLOSED.

Im a highschooler and my math teacher isn't a very good teacher and me nor my friends know how to do the homework. I dont want to do it and get it all wrong, and i know members of this forum are very smart :)

So Im going to ask for help on my question. If anyone else needs help, post your questions. Heres mine.

A music store is offering a clearance sale on some of their CD's. The regular price for each cd is 20 dollars. With the sale, each day the cd's are marked down 2 dollars than the previous day.

I need to know the independent and Dependant variables so i can make a graph with x and y.
:KS
Thanks..

Skripka
November 19th, 2009, 04:56 AM
The square root of a cat. Approximately. In Before The Lock.

It is frowned upon to post here for others to do your school work.

Aflack
November 19th, 2009, 04:58 AM
The square root of a cat. Approximately. In Before The Lock.

It is frowned upon to post here for others to do your school work.

i just need help on which numbers are ind and dep so i can make a chart and find an equation.. i would not learn if i told people to do my school work.

mamamia88
November 19th, 2009, 05:06 AM
don't quote me on this but wouldn't the independent variable be time because you are allowed to manipulate it? then the dependent variable would be sales price because it's a function of time?

Aflack
November 19th, 2009, 05:31 AM
don't quote me on this but wouldn't the independent variable be time because you are allowed to manipulate it? then the dependent variable would be sales price because it's a function of time?
quoted, also ill try that and see if it works with what im doing. Thanks a lot.

Edit: worked as far as i know, thanks :D

any other high schoolers in this forum?

Cardale
November 19th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Time is almost always the independent variable.

amingv
November 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
don't quote me on this but wouldn't the independent variable be time [...] then the dependent variable would be sales price because it's a function of time?

That's about right.

It is against UF rules to post for homework assignments. But since you were honest and didn't try to disguise it, I feel compelled to give you a few pointers (without actually doing the work for you, as this is actually an easy assignment).

-The dependent variable will (as it's name indicates) always depend on the independent one. In your case the price is dependent on what day it is.
-You could easily guess every value of the dependent variable, but put some more effort and write a function (equation) that for every value of day(x) calculates price(y). Make sure the function takes a value of day in order to produce a value of price, if it doesn't take any value of day it's probably not right. Think carefully how price changes in relation to day, know that on day 0 your function must return 20 as the answer.
-Imagine how the graph will look before you draw it, will it be a straight line? a horizontal, vertical or diagonal? a parabola? to what side will it lean? will it start from the origin (0) of the graph? compare your expected output to the facts you already know and see if they fall into the same logic.

It may also be a good idea to talk to your teacher (or to a counselor, or ultimately your parents), explain to him that you and some other friends cannot understand the assignments, if your teacher doesn't get feedback then there's no foreseeable way he'll improve his teaching.

Aflack
November 19th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Sorry :(
But thanks for the great help... i guess thread closed. :\