PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MySQL not starting, upgraded from 9.04 using update-manager

WesleyWex
November 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I just upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. My last installation was already updated before the upgrade and I didn't use apt-get, performed the upgrade trough the GUI update-manager.

Now after the reboot I noticed two things: MySQL is not starting ([fail] and no log on /var/log/mysql.err or /var/log/mysql.log), and a conflict on apt:

mysql-server-5.0 depends upon mysql-server-core-5.0
mysql-server-core-5.1 conflicts with mysql-server-core-5.0

What the hell happened? The release notes (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910) clearly say:

Performing an upgrade via update-manager will correctly handle the transition from MySQL 5.0 to MySQL 5.1.

wojox
November 19th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Try the Check Tables Function:

sudo mysql_upgrade --force -uroot -p

And then:

sudo service mysql restart

WesleyWex
November 19th, 2009, 02:56 AM
MySQL fails to load:

wesley@Jupiter:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld [fail]

So this command fails too:

wesley@Jupiter:~$ sudo mysql_upgrade --force -uroot -p
Enter password:
Looking for 'mysql' as: mysql
Looking for 'mysqlcheck' as: mysqlcheck
Running 'mysqlcheck' with connection arguments: '--port=3306' '--socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'
mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) when trying to connect
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

WesleyWex
November 19th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Ok, since I can't wait that long for the POSSIBILITY of someone helping me, I did the following:

Purged MySQL trough apt-get purge mysql-server-5.1 mysql-server-core-5.1
Installed MySQL 5.0 trough apt-get install mysql-server-5.0
Stopped MySQL
Moved /var/lib/mysql to /var/lib/mysql.old
Copied the backup with -a of /var/lib/mysql
Copied the backup with -a of /etc/mysql/debian.cnf
Copied the backup with -a of /etc/mysql/my.cnf
Started MySQL

Have in mind this was only possible because I had a backup for /var/lib/mysql and /etc/mysql from before the upgrade.

This is only one of my problems, rtorrent doesn't watch folders anymore and shorewall was removed and I was left without a replacement, had to manually figure out that shorewall6 works for me.

That was the most disappointing upgrade I have ever made on Ubuntu. :mad:

gfroese
January 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
I ran 'do-release-upgrade' and the same thing happened to me and I believe it was because I chose not to upgrade the mysql config files during the upgrade.

After getting some great help from the people in #mysql on freenode IRC, I was able to get up and running again.

All I had to do was comment out the following line in /etc/mysql/my.cnf:

skip-bdb
changed to
#skip-bdb

After that I was able to start mysql again and continue where I left off.

agampher
February 28th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I ran 'do-release-upgrade' and the same thing happened to me and I believe it was because I chose not to upgrade the mysql config files during the upgrade.

After getting some great help from the people in #mysql on freenode IRC, I was able to get up and running again.

All I had to do was comment out the following line in /etc/mysql/my.cnf:

skip-bdb
changed to
#skip-bdb

After that I was able to start mysql again and continue where I left off.

Awesome. Thanks for this, gfroese. Worked like a champ.