PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Moving the 9.10 partition

tonyr
November 19th, 2009, 02:08 AM
My current working version is 8.04, which is on a partition on the first drive, sda3. I have installed 9.10 on a partition on the second drive, sdb11. Grub2 is installed in the boot sector of the 9.10 boot partition. I'm using grub-legacy with 8.04, and booting into 9.10 with a chainload stanza in menu.lst.

Now I want to move the 9.10 installation to a partition on the first drive, sda2. I have copied the partition contents with (mounted partitions)

cp -a /media/sdb11 /media/sda2
and that seems to be fine, after a little housekeeping. I copied the boot sector from the original partition, sdb11, to the boot sector of the new partition, sda2. I know that grub2 organizes things differently, and that some specific location information is hardwired into the boot stage images, if I understand things correctly. It's not clear to me that the stage1_5 image is still in the partition sectors after the boot sector, but even if it is, moving that would not solve the hardwired location

What,if anything, can I do to get the Grub2 boot information set up correctly for the new partition without reinstalling 9.10? Do the grub2 commands have enough flexibility to handle this situation? I am currently trying to figure that out myself.

- tony

tonyr
November 19th, 2009, 05:47 AM
The method for grub2 recovery described here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2), section 11 'Reinstalling Grub 2', does the trick. I used the chroot method.