PDA

View Full Version : Bsd... Ugh!.

youbuntu
November 19th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Before I continue, this is NOT meant to be a fight, a flame war or anything else, I am simply expressing that I prefer GNU/Linux *philosophy* to BSD's - that is *all*. You guys are probably better qualified to speculate about the differences, as I know hardly anything about BSD, except that I don't get the same community driven, freedom feeling about it.

Just watched a VERY boring (and rushed) lecture on BSD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds77e3aO9nA

Now, I am NO expert on BSD, but there is something I just don't like about it - it makes me feel uncomfortable, and as if the whole OS has it's roots in corporate money making & greed, I may be wrong here, but GNU & Linux seems to be a *LOT* better philosophy, and far more widespread.

I cannot pinpoint exactly what it is that I am trying to convey here, suffice to say...

BSD = fail. BSD = ugh!.

PS: I admire GNU/Linux far more, as it has been effectively written from scratch as a Unix *clone*, whereas BSD is just a port... as far as I know.

dragos240
November 19th, 2009, 01:51 AM

*facepalm*

youbuntu
November 19th, 2009, 01:53 AM

*facepalm*

Explain please?.

toupeiro
November 19th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Seems to me you're judging BSD on a youtube lecture. I don't really think you're making a fully educated decision on the matter. I'm not a BSD advocate by a long shot. My gripes, .. or maybe indifferences is a better word, about BSD are technical and first hand experienced. Perhaps you should try it before dubbing it a failure.

When it comes to UNIX, I'm all about SYSV. Give OpenSolaris a spin after playing with BSD. I'd be curious to hear your feedback.

RiceMonster
November 19th, 2009, 01:54 AM
The BSD license is more free than the GPL.

GO!

dragos240
November 19th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Explain please?.

Your flaming a whole SERIES of operating systems. And judging it off a video you saw. Try it before you judge it. It's unix-like, so it should be familiar.

youbuntu
November 19th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Your flaming a whole SERIES of operating systems. And judging it off a video you saw. Try it before you judge it. It's unix-like, so it should be familiar.

I have, and hated it.

toupeiro
November 19th, 2009, 01:59 AM
The BSD license is more free than the GPL.

GO!

lol, for the sake of this threads existence, I won't even go there... ;)

youbuntu
November 19th, 2009, 02:00 AM
This topic was a lack of foresight on my behalf - I have requested it be closed.

dragos240
November 19th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I have, and hated it.

Really? I tried it, and it's pretty much the same as Linux. I think if you had a barebones Linux box you'd hate it too. What's so bad about it. Elaborate your vent.

youbuntu
November 19th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Really? I tried it, and it's pretty much the same as Linux. I think if you had a barebones Linux box you'd hate it too. What's so bad about it. Elaborate your vent.
no.

dragos240
November 19th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Lol.

kk0sse54
November 19th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Now, I am NO expert on BSD, but there is something I just don't like about it - it makes me feel uncomfortable, and as if the whole OS has it's roots in corporate money making & greed,

Corporate money making & greed, what?!!!!! I think you're confused about the USL v. BSDi lawsuit. Please don't bother posting accusatory remarks like the OP if you have no idea what you're talking about.

toupeiro
November 19th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Corporate money making & greed, what?!!!!! Please don't bother posting threads like this if you have no idea what you're talking about.

hey, he requested the thread be closed. He was just stating his first opinion.

overdrank
November 19th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Thread closed at the op's request