PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 installation won't go past white Ubuntu icon.

Lil Josh
November 19th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 onto my Desktop and when I try to do it, I boot from my CD, select "Install Ubuntu" on the main screen for what pops up for Ubuntu installation CD, then I press Enter key. It seems like everything's going fine, but when I try to install it, it stays at the black screen, with this white Ubuntu icon in the middle of the screen and it's been there for a while. I'm not sure what to do; tried installing it in safe mode by pressing F4, can't remember exactly what it said. I used to flash on and off, from bright to dim and so on. Now, all I see is my screen with black everywhere except for a white Ubuntu icon in the middle and the keys Caps Lock and Scroll Lock are blinking green. Any ideas on how to fix this and get it to install? I've read some other posts on here and on previous forums, but none seem to work. Also, I downloaded it from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download . Then I used InfraRecorder or whatever it said to use to write the .ISO file to the CD and that's what I did. Am I missing any files that weren't downloaded or installed correctly? Thanks in advance.

SeattleOtaku
November 19th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Did you download the 32-bit one (wider range of support) or 64-bit? If the latter, try it with 32-bit to be sure. Also, what model of desktop, and are there any particular number of flashes? Does it run without that happening in Live-CD mode (try without installing)?

Key blinking is often about a hardware issue (unseated memory, heat, etc.) but model and number of flashes might help track it down in more detail. Do the two tests (disk and memory) show any errors?

Might even try re-burning the CD in case of any error there. Anyone reading know where to find md5 checksums to verify the downloads themselves? :)

Good luck!