PDA

View Full Version : Which of these three platforms do you like?

aysiu
November 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Note: I'm using the word platform instead of the term operating system, because a lot of people will insist Linux is only a kernel and not an operating system. I also didn't want to say Ubuntu Linux, because some may prefer some other Linux distro (Arch, PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, etc.).

The stereotype of Linux users is that they hate Windows. I also know there are a bunch of Linux users who hate Mac OS X and actually more than Windows.

What about those of us who don't hate? Am I alone? Sure I prefer Linux (Ubuntu specifically), but I also like Mac OS X and Windows.

I know there are haters. Any likers out there? Vote in the poll!

Greg
November 18th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I don't really think of myself as a free software fanatic, but of the three I only like Linux. I hate Apple's vendor lock in and conformity (and am not a big fan of the interface for Mac OS) and honestly believe that Windows is simply a mess (and am not a big fan of the MS monopoly).

NoaHall
November 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM
While I use all three platforms, my favorite are Linux-based operating systems. They are more stable, more powerful(imo) and great for programming. I like the look of Apple's hardware, and I like the ability to play good games on Windows. I dislike Apple's disgusting T&C's, and I don't like the amount of people that don't know how to use a computer(so they use Windows and think google is their web browser).

alphaniner
November 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM
"I like Windows and Linux but not Mac"

Is this intended to include neutrality/'no comment' towards Mac, or only disliking Mac?

Regenweald
November 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
"I like Windows and Linux but not Mac"

Is this intended to include neutrality/'no comment' towards Mac, or only disliking Mac?

Since we are talking about platforms we prefer, I assume the user prefers not to use the mac platform. I am one of those.

Also op, I'd suggest 'prefer to use' rather than like. 'Like' could descend into a recurring argument.

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Great poll. This should have been done a long time ago.

I voted that I like Windows & Linux, but not Mac. It's not because I don't like the OS; I think MacOSX is beautiful. I just don't like how expensive their systems are, and I don't like how you have to buy their hardware to use their OS. I'm not against proprietary software, but Apple takes it even farther than what I like.

I also don't like the lack of software availability for Mac compared to Windows, and the high price of the software they do have. At least with Linux, the software incompatibility is justified by the fact that almost everything you're going to use is free of charge.

Edit:
To be fair, I guess you have to buy PS3 hardware to use the OS that runs PS3's. I still don't like Macs, though. :)

Zoot7
November 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I voted "Windows & Linux, but not Mac".

As for my preferences. I'm not mad on Windows, it's got a lot of shortcomings that annoy me, but it runs my games and home recording apps so I live with it.
When it comes to Mac, due to the fact that the OS is tied to the Apple hardware (which isn't cheap) is enough of a put off for me.
That said, the regular Macbook is a nice package none the less.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I hate Mac. I like Windows (post XP) and GNU/Linux.

squilookle
November 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I also voted Windows & Linux but not Mac.
I like Linux for the obvious reasons of freedom, low maintenance (update entire system from a single command, no anti virus etc), the most fun to use, the most customisable, etc.

I believe there is alot to like about Windows, despite the price tag, the scary EULA and the viruses/spyware/[insert problem here]: including the abundance of software, free and non free, the games available, the ease of use and the fact that the systems are the same, meaning you can be certain your new software or hardware is going to work.

The Mac: too expensive to even start to become a viable platform for me. I also don't like the amount of control Apple have over the whole thing. Finally, I believe the shine is starting to come off both Apple and the Mac, with more and more problems with the system being reported as time goes on, and Apple seem to look more and more like Microsoft.

Frak
November 18th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I don't like any of the three platforms

What I like most would run Windows with Mac/Linux tied. I just like Windows, it gets the job done.

ZankerH
November 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Note: I'm using the word platform instead of the term operating system, because a lot of people will insist Linux is only a kernel and not an operating system. I also didn't want to say Ubuntu Linux, because some may prefer some other Linux distro (Arch, PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, etc.).

If you wanted to mean operating system, you could always just use the name of the operating system Linux is an essential part of: GNU/Linux.

I like the GNU/Linux "platform" (is that marketing speak for OS?). I "hate" any and all closed platforms, and by hate I mean refuse to use and take part in any endeavour that requires me to use them. This has caused me to be expelled from my previous university and fired from two different jobs, but my principles stand. Nobody has the right to force you into compromising your software Freedom.

Irihapeti
November 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I'd say that I don't know enough to make a useful comment.

I've used Linux exclusively on my own computers for over two years. I've not made a lot of use of Windows, unless you count work environments. In my case, it was a matter of being sat down in front of a machine that ran Windows and being told to use X program. If it was one that also ran on another platform, and it often was, there usually wasn't much difference.

I had a Mac for many years, but that was back in the old System 6 (and earlier) days; I have no idea what OSX is like.

I don't hate any OS. That, to me, is a waste of energy that could be spent on more useful things.

dragos240
November 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I like Linux the most. But I'm FAR too biased to give a fair vote. So I chose other.

kk0sse54
November 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I don't like any of them since I prefer a *BSD system and don't bother trying to tell me that OS X is a BSD variant.

Frak
November 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
This has caused me to be expelled from my previous university and fired from two different jobs...

lol

If they were making you squat down and clean your boss's shoes, maybe. They make you use Windows? Now you're just splitting hairs.

issih
November 18th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Voted for liking mac and linux...but its not that I hate windows (other than having to fix it for family members...that is annoying), I just find that workflow is easier on unix based systems.

I used windows exclusively for a long time, and I was perfectly happy with it, I'm just happier without..

lisati
November 18th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I use Windows (XP & Vista, and occasionally 98SE) and Ubuntu, each because it suits me to do so. I haven't used a platform from the Apple family for something like 20 years, so I'm not currently in a position to form a useful opinion on the MAC.

lykwydchykyn
November 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Since I haven't spent significant time on a Mac since OS9 (and then it was just to launch mechwarrior on my mom's Mac when I came home on weekends from college), I had to vote for "haven't spent enough time to say".

Which is not real accurate, because truthfully nothing apart from open-source stuff really attracts my interest no matter how open-minded I try to be.

Not that I'm attached to Linux in particular, BSD or Haiku look interesting too.

Shpongle
November 18th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I don't really think of myself as a free software fanatic, but of the three I only like Linux. I hate Apple's vendor lock in and conformity (and am not a big fan of the interface for Mac OS) and honestly believe that Windows is simply a mess (and am not a big fan of the MS monopoly).

agree except i like the os x interface ,

ZankerH
November 18th, 2009, 11:43 PM
lol

If they were making you squat down and clean your boss's shoes, maybe. They make you use Windows? Now you're just splitting hairs.

How is it "splitting hairs" that I refuse to let people force restrictive proprietary software on me?

Frak
November 18th, 2009, 11:45 PM
How is it "splitting hairs" that I refuse to let people force restrictive proprietary software on me?
lol

BuffaloX
November 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I don't consider myself a Linux fanatic, but if there was a Linux equivalent to Al Qaeda I would consider joining.

No of course I wouldn't, but some would probably suspect me.

RiceMonster
November 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I like all three.

RiceMonster
November 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
If you wanted to mean operating system, you could always just use the name of the operating system Linux is an essential part of: GNU/Linux.

I like the GNU/Linux "platform" (is that marketing speak for OS?). I "hate" any and all closed platforms, and by hate I mean refuse to use and take part in any endeavour that requires me to use them. This has caused me to be expelled from my previous university and fired from two different jobs, but my principles stand. Nobody has the right to force you into compromising your software Freedom.

lol

I honestly laughed when I read that.

You're so obsessed with your FSF agenda that you allowed yourself to get fired from not one, but TWO jobs?

alphaniner
November 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
It's a sad day when a fellow is belittled for holding fast to his principles.

ZankerH, I salute you!

Irihapeti
November 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I wonder, then, what should we do about the BIOS software? Isn't that proprietary?

I think I'll go back to my tablet and chisel. Oh, wait.. the Sumerians invented that...

Frak
November 19th, 2009, 12:06 AM
lol

I honestly laughed when I read that.

You're so obsessed with your FSF agenda that you allowed yourself to get fired from not one, but TWO jobs?
AND expelled from a university.

ninjapirate89
November 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I've only used a mac a few times and never more than five minutes so I can't make a fair assumption regarding all three. I do know that I like linux more than windows though.

Zoot7
November 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM
This has caused me to be expelled from my previous university and fired from two different jobs, but my principles stand. Nobody has the right to force you into compromising your software Freedom.
Wow.

I'm not gone on Windows but I've to use it every day none the less. Somehow I don't think it's worth sacrificing a university qualification or getting fired from jobs for.

RiceMonster
November 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
AND expelled from a university.

I think I can imagine how the job thing went down, but I'd be delighted to here how he got expelled from University. I can't figure that one out.

-grubby
November 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM
All 3.

NoaHall
November 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM

I support your freedom of speech, but making you use closed source software isn't illegal, isn't rude and isn't offensive. Take a big long look in the mirror. Think about all the chances you've wasted, simply by being a little bit too devoted.

ZankerH
November 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I think I can imagine how the job thing went down, but I'd be delighted to here how he got expelled from University. I can't figure that one out.

-Open wifi network...that requires internet explorer to access the intranet - which, in turn, is required to hand in all assignments

-Which they wanted handed in in microsoft office formats in any case

-Windows-only workstations (some of the programming lessons were locked down so you could only submit the solutions from those computers)

-Ignorant policy about GNU/Linux support even where it clearly worked

So there you have it. I was expelled/left after a brief talk with their IT staff and their student relations counsel (both of which proved to be as ignorant about GNU/Linux as I expected), and found another university that respects my freedom.

ZankerH
November 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I support your freedom of speech, but making you use closed source software isn't illegal, isn't rude and isn't offensive. Take a big long look in the mirror. Think about all the chances you've wasted, simply by being a little bit too devoted.

All technology converges towards information technology. All freedom converges towards software freedom. It's that simple. Lose your software freedom today, and you won't have any freedom tomorrow.

Irihapeti
November 19th, 2009, 12:19 AM
ANY freedom? Not ONE freedom will be left?

ZankerH
November 19th, 2009, 12:22 AM
ANY freedom? Not ONE freedom will be left?

Is it really that hard for you to comprehend the fact that in the future, just about every aspect of your life will depend on software? This is almost true today already, just apply it to the parts today considered "too critical to be ran by machines". It's simple, today's proprietary software vendors will be the totalitarian dictatorships of the future.

chucky chuckaluck
November 19th, 2009, 12:24 AM
nm

running_rabbit07
November 19th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I lost my love for MS when even with a faster system, XP still took forever to boot and finish it's updates, then having to run anti-virus to save me from the virus-ridden sites I like so much.

Then I tripped over Debian and landed on Ubuntu and have loved Linux ever since.

Icehuck
November 19th, 2009, 12:26 AM
All technology converges towards information technology. All freedom converges towards software freedom. It's that simple. Lose your software freedom today, and you won't have any freedom tomorrow.

LOL WHAT? Not being able to see source code will never take away my rights.

It's software and if you really want to help people I can think of other things that are more meaningful. Ever thinking about helping out a local homeless shelter? Those people are starving and no amount of free software will ever feed them.

How about volunteering to help at a children's hospital? This time of year there are a lot lonely kids who can't leave the hospital.

These two things are far more rewarding and far more beneficial then software freedom.

RiceMonster
November 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM
lol what? Not being able to see source code will never take away my rights.

It's software and if you really want to help people i can think of other things that are more meaningful. Ever thinking about helping out a local homeless shelter? Those people are starving and no amount of free software will ever feed them.

How about volunteering to help at a children's hospital? This time of year there are a lot lonely kids who can't leave the hospital.

These two things are far more rewarding and far more beneficial then software freedom.

+9001

NoaHall
November 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM
+9001

+1

Also, I like how when a mod makes a thread that happens to occur a lot, it isn't move to recurring decisions..

squilookle
November 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM
-Open wifi network...that requires internet explorer to access the intranet - which, in turn, is required to hand in all assignments

-Which they wanted handed in in microsoft office formats in any case

-Windows-only workstations (some of the programming lessons were locked down so you could only submit the solutions from those computers)

-Ignorant policy about GNU/Linux support even where it clearly worked

So there you have it. I was expelled/left after a brief talk with their IT staff and their student relations counsel (both of which proved to be as ignorant about GNU/Linux as I expected), and found another university that respects my freedom.

When I was at uni, I one came across ignorant It staff too: I didn't have broadband at home so downloaded some software for my Linux computer at home onto my USB stick, while at a friends house. The disk also held my uni work. I went to the university library on the way home and tried to open my work on the library computers (running Windows). Couldn't open the USB stick because, as they explained, they had blocked discs that contained software as a security measure. Fair enough, thought I'm not sure how it worked but there you go... I explained what the software was and asked if they could somehow allow me to use my disk and they asked: "You arent planning on installing that software are you?". I explained it wouldnt work anyway... and they sked if I was sure several times and then didnt let me use the disk anyway...

Anyway, after that tangeant, it seems abit extreme to me, but I still have nothing but respect for you sticking to your principles like that.

Irihapeti
November 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
No one takes away my freedom to think for myself. No one takes away my freedom to decide what really matters in my life. And no one takes away my freedom to decide what's worth putting my energy into and when it's time to walk away.

running_rabbit07
November 19th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Also, I like how when a mod makes a thread that happens to occur a lot, it isn't move to recurring decisions..

:-({|=

Icehuck
November 19th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I couldn't care any less about homeless and poor people. Freedom, however, benefits everyone except for those who would seek to take it away.

I would respond, but I would be banned form this forum.

gn2
November 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Don't like Mac, too expensive
Don't like Windows, too frustrating and too expensive

running_rabbit07
November 19th, 2009, 12:43 AM
i would respond, but i would be banned form this forum.
+1

Zoot7
November 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I couldn't care any less about homeless and poor people.
I must admit it sickens me when people spew things like that having done a share of 3rd world work myself.

It's clear there's something seriously wrong with your priorities, there's more to life and the whole realm of existence than conspiracy theories against corporations who specialize in software.

Alas... that's all I'll say.

KiwiNZ
November 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I like all 3. If it fits the users requirements then it is great. That is what it is all about.

ZankerH
November 19th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I must admit it sickens me when people spew things like that having done a share of 3rd world work myself.

It's clear there's something seriously wrong with your priorities, there's more to life and the whole realm of existence than conspiracy theories against corporations who specialize in software.

Alas... that's all I'll say.

The fact that we disagree doesn't mean there's something wrong with either of us. As I always say, use what works for you.

KiwiNZ
November 19th, 2009, 01:00 AM
@ZankerH I have jailed your "homeless" post following reports. It was offensive and flame provoking. Please take care in future when posting .

tcoffeep
November 19th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I like all 3 equally. It really all depends on what I'm using it for. I run Arch inside of XP for using stuff like go (http://golang.org), but otherwise only browse the web, read documents, check my e-mail, chat, and listen/watch movies.
If not for go, I'd be using XP on its own.

emigrant
November 19th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Voted for i havent used all three.
Because i have not even seen mac in real life.

BuffaloX
November 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM

Actually in some situations it can be.

In Denmark schools may not require use of proprietary software, it's against our constitution!
This has been news in the papers just this week.
( I think they can, if the school supplies everything. )

Any public service MUST use open standards when communicating with citizens.

Frak
November 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
i would respond, but i would be banned form this forum.

+1

+1

FuturePilot
November 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I don't hate any of them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and some may work better in certain situations. I prefer Linux over the others because it works great for me and fits my needs better, but I don't have anything against the others.

Simon17
November 19th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I "hate" any and all closed platforms, and by hate I mean refuse to use and take part in any endeavour that requires me to use them. This has caused me to be expelled from my previous university and fired from two different jobs, but my principles stand. Nobody has the right to force you into compromising your software Freedom.

I for one support your decision not to let your Software Freedoms be compromised. One night about 6-7 months ago, I was downtown handing out GNU slash Linux distro CDs to clubgoers. On my way home after I got off the bus I witnessed a teenage girl get hit by a car and the driver just drove away. It was about 3:30 am, and there wasn't anyone else around so I ran up to help her. I don't have a cell phone since I got rid of it a few years ago when I heard RMS say you shouldn't have one, but the girl had a iPhone. I was about to use it to call 911, but when I realized I was using proprietary software, I had to stop and think. I decided that I didn't give a rat's *** about this girl if helping her meant letting the evil corporations take away my Freedoms (as in speech) that Richard Stallman created for us.

Frak
November 19th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I for one support your decision not to let your Software Freedoms be compromised. One night about 6-7 months ago, I was downtown handing out GNU slash Linux distro CDs to clubgoers. On my way home after I got off the bus I witnessed a teenage girl get hit by a car and the driver just drove away. It was about 3:30 am, and there wasn't anyone else around so I ran up to help her. I don't have a cell phone since I got rid of it a few years ago when I heard RMS say you shouldn't have one, but the girl had a iPhone. I was about to use it to call 911, but when I realized I was using proprietary software, I had to stop and think. I decided that I didn't give a rat's *** about this girl if helping her meant letting the evil corporations take away my Freedoms (as in speech) that Richard Stallman created for us.
+Any number so large that we don't have an english representation for it.

RiceMonster
November 19th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I don't hate any of them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and some may work better in certain situations. I prefer Linux over the others because it works great for me and fits my needs better, but I don't have anything against the others.

Same for me.

Icehuck
November 19th, 2009, 02:03 AM
To answer the topic at hand, I use whatever my boss tells me to use. I own a home and have various other bills to pay. My job treats me well, pays me well, and I get along with my coworkers. I see no reason to change.

Frak
November 19th, 2009, 02:09 AM
To answer the topic at hand, I use whatever my boss tells me to use. I own a home and have various other bills to pay. My job treats me well, pays me well, and I get along with my coworkers. I see no reason to change.
Same

I'll use OS/2 if they tell me to. I don't care.

Zoot7
November 19th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Very well put!

The Funkbomb
November 19th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I don't have enough experience with modern macs to say I dislike them. I just dislike the prices and the fanboys.

I prefer Linux over Windows but Win7 truly isn't that bad.

alphaniner
November 19th, 2009, 02:19 AM

I am at a loss for words.

phersotty
November 19th, 2009, 02:23 AM
i like triple booting macbooks:P

doorknob60
November 19th, 2009, 02:30 AM
It depends really. Linux is my favorite, no question about that. Windows isn't bad, if you have the right software (if you have IE and Norton, it's a pile of crap). Macs, they can be good, but they can be bad. Many applications that support Windows and Linux just fine have limited or no Mac support (since they don't have macs), and some stuff just doesn't work as well. Also macs are very proprietary and way overpriced. At school, I'd way rather use Windows than Mac (PortableApps ftw lol), but at home, I'd take mac over Windows most of the time.

wojox
November 19th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I like Linux the best. It wouldn't be fair to say I dislike Windows. After all it's what I grew up on and all I knew for many years. Never even logged on to a Mac before so can't make any comments about it.

tcoffeep
November 19th, 2009, 03:22 AM

I applaud you for standing up for your beliefs!

schauerlich
November 19th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I like OS X the most. It's what I use daily, and I like it. It's a Unix that has a consistent GUI, reliable WiFi, reliable dual monitor support, a solid feel to it, and great software written for it.

I also like Linux. I don't use it daily, but I always keep a partition with it on my computer. It has a pretty good GUI , a large variety of software available, and extensive customizability. However, it can sometimes be unreliable, and requires some babysitting.

I honestly don't use Windows much, but I've never had a problem with it. I like it about the same as Linux.

Dragonbite
November 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Windows & Linux, but not Mac

And it isn't "hate" or "dislike" of the Mac, I would probably come around to like it if I was given enough time with it.

Then it would only be the rabid proprietary and lock-in methods of Apple for Macs and iCrap that would turn me off.

Bachstelze
November 19th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Mac and Linux (I boldly assumed "Linux" to mean all free Unix-like OSes, so I include *BSD and OpenSolaris in it too). I need to use Windows sometimes, and it isn't bad per se, but I still don't like it.

Basically, using Windows to me is like eating a pear. I'd much rather have a banana or strawberries instead, but if that's all there is, no big deal.

samirbasha
November 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM
It depends on the releases

Regenweald
November 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I would respond, but I would be banned form this forum. I dunno, they make listening to the voices sound.............almost appealing I wish all everyone in the world had to worry about was inconsequential **** like which OS to use.

BrokenKingpin
November 19th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I like Windows and Linux (Linux more), and I absolutly hate Mac.

samh785
November 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I've used them all, and all three have strengths and weaknesses. I prefer to use Linux as my home "platform" because I support the ideological standpoint of open software, but I also acknowledge that Windows and Mac have their moments of greatness as well.

RandomJoe
November 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I don't "hate" any of them. Linux is the long-time favorite, but I do like OS X. Windows is a "meh"... I use XP at work, it's fine. Sometimes annoying, but I haven't had a real loathing for Windows since the Win95/ME days. I even considered buying Win7, but decided the price is too high for something I'd almost never use.

For personal use, I find nowadays my primary dislike for Windows is the culture surrounding software for it. I'm so used to freeware (with a donation link on the website) when using Linux that the "crippled shareware / nagware" culture that pervades Windows absolutely tees me off. Also that I can't do what I'm so used to doing at the command line with Linux.

Oh, and it's SO nice being able to tell family and friends that I can't help them fix their Windows machine for the billionth time! Been so long since I did much with Windows that I don't know what I'm doing. :)

Giant Speck
November 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I like Windows and Linux and use them about equally; though, depending on changing interests, there are times when I use one exclusively or just more than the other.

I cannot really make an opinion about Macs or OS X since the last time I used a Mac for more than a few minutes was back in high school in 2006. It certainly does look nice, though, and I do hope to have a Mac someday, or at least install OS X on one of my computers to try it out.

khelben1979
November 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I voted for Linux only and the reason is simple: I'm fed up with Windows viruses destroying my system. I've used Windows for years and it's still plagued by this.

Exodist
November 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
I like Windows and Mac but not Linux

Who voted for this?

mivo
November 22nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
I didn't read all responses, but I didn't see a voting option that works for me. I like and use Linux and Windows, but don't have a Mac and therefore don't use one. But I don't "dislike" Macs, as the closest vote option would imply.

JDShu
November 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I like Linux the most and I will use Windows when required to. I don't think Macs are very useful since all the proprietary software that one would need is available for Windows, and if you don't want to deal with viruses and adware, Linux is a less expensive option. The Mac ads make me dislike it.

mivo
November 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
I voted for Linux only and the reason is simple: I'm fed up with Windows viruses destroying my system. I've used Windows for years and it's still plagued by this.

You should be fed up with your own lack of carefulness, interest in learning and effort. Sorry if this is blunt, but it doesn't take much effort or time to secure and maintain a Windows system against viruses. This is more of a user problem than an OS issue.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
November 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Linux-based... for sure. Windows has it's perks but they are greatly outweighed by those of any Linux distro and especially a custom built Linux kernel with everything layered on. It's like buying a cake from a grocery store and making one yourself. The one from the grocery store is ok and easy but if you take the time to bake one it can be much better.

Eagles18
November 22nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
I like all three, but I like Ubuntu better.

khelben1979
November 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
You should be fed up with your own lack of carefulness, interest in learning and effort. Sorry if this is blunt, but it doesn't take much effort or time to secure and maintain a Windows system against viruses. This is more of a user problem than an OS issue.

From my own experience on using Windows, been using it for perhaps.. 15 years now, I've had enough trouble with the operating system to feel that I want to stay away from it.

That it has trouble with viruses is a fact and has nothing to do with "carefulness" in my part. I have been using an hardware firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware + several other software to protect myself, still, it has failed. I even stopped watching porn on the net, still, I got viruses. So I disagree.

Even if I was able to keep it "virus free" I would still be bothered by the performance slow down I get by using different security software.

ctrlmd
November 22nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
I like Linux, Windows, and Mac:)

mivo
November 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
From my own experience on using Windows, been using it for perhaps.. 15 years now, I've had enough trouble with the operating system to feel that I want to stay away from it. That it has trouble with viruses is a fact and has nothing to do with "carefulness" in my part.

I have used Windows just as long (couple years longer), and other systems before it, and my experience with viruses and malware is vastly different. I never had a virus on Windows. I remember having one on an Atari ST, though. I have been online since 1986. I'm not even overly paranoid and just do a few things:

- I use an always up-to-date AV program unless I'm playing a game (right now MS Security Essentials, free).
- I use NoScript and Adblock+ in my browser and don't run IE.
- I do not download warez or porn.
- I do not open file attachments from unknown senders or that are executable.
- Once a month, I run a system check, clear out temporary files, and run Spybot.
- I update my OS and my software frequently, security updates are installed promptly unless I read about problems first.
- My boxes are behind a firewall.

That's all. Plus some registry cleaning and removal of software remains whenever I feel the need to. Why don't I catch viruses? It can't be luck, not over so many years. The few Windows machines that I have administered were handled in the same way and also didn't catch viruses.

I'm just puzzled by this.

running_rabbit07
November 22nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
I have used Windows just as long (couple years longer), and other systems before it, and my experience with viruses and malware is vastly different. I never had a virus on Windows. I remember having one on an Atari ST, though. I have been online since 1986. I'm not even overly paranoid and just do a few things:

- I use an always up-to-date AV program unless I'm playing a game (right now MS Security Essentials, free).
- Once a month, I run a system check, clear out temporary files, and run Spybot.
- I update my OS and my software frequently, security updates are installed promptly unless I read about problems first.

That's all. Plus some registry cleaning and removal of software remains whenever I feel the need to. Why don't I catch viruses? It can't be luck, not over so many years. The few Windows machines that I have administered were handled in the same way and also didn't catch viruses.

I have to call BS on that. Are you saying that you have never encountered a Virus? Your AV has never popped up saying you've had one? You must have had the settings set to not notify you when one is detected and deleted.

lisati
November 22nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
I have to call BS on that. Are you saying that you have never encountered a Virus? Your AV has never popped up saying you've had one? You must have had the settings set to not notify you when one is detected and deleted.

Nothing wrong with with people not having had problems caused by viruses.
<rant begins>
The only two times I'm aware of viruses causing problems on any of my machines were my own stupid fault:

One time resulted from a hasty "reply to all" on an email sent to a mailing list run by the ISP I was using at the time (even though I got in touch with the ISP as soon as I realised what had happened, the backscatter continued for well over a year, resulting a lot of wasted time deleting unwanted emails)

The other time resulted from me knowingly opening a suspect attachment out of curiosity (result: a lot of time wasted reinstalling XP)
<rant ends>

sparky-trev
November 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
I like the free nature of Linux the not being tied to particular vendors Gets the job done!, XP is OK have to use thin client version and tablet version at work but just got rid of it for home PC tired of fake virus scans trashing machine.......and all the other junk.
My only contact with Mac is the Ipod touch great device Itunes ahhhhh! could be getting jail broken soon......

Giant Speck
November 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
I know, right? Everyone knows that Windows itself actually grows viruses of its own. Anyone with at least a teaspoon of security knowledge and common sense would know that.

running_rabbit07
November 23rd, 2009, 12:01 AM
Nothing wrong with with people not having had problems caused by viruses.
<rant begins>
The only two times I'm aware of viruses causing problems on any of my machines were my own stupid fault:

One time resulted from a hasty "reply to all" on an email sent to a mailing list run by the ISP I was using at the time (even though I got in touch with the ISP as soon as I realised what had happened, the backscatter continued for well over a year, resulting a lot of wasted time deleting unwanted emails)

The other time resulted from me knowingly opening a suspect attachment out of curiosity (result: a lot of time wasted reinstalling XP)
<rant ends>

I have never had one cause problems, but I have seen Norton catch many of them as they were downloaded via websites and downloaded photos

Roasted
November 23rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
My answer is simple:

I love Linux.
I tolerate Windows.
I hate Mac.

Naiki Muliaina
November 23rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Linux only. Does everything i need.

mivo
November 23rd, 2009, 12:21 AM

It does not matter whether you believe me or not. :) This is my experience and you can either accept it or not. It really isn't so rare, either. It just comes up more commonly here where people so frequently look for reasons to bash Windows. I can understand getting a virus once a year, but some people here claim they have to constantly and actively fight viruses, or that their machines are plagued by dozens of viruses, and for me, the choice is either to consider them careless or their statements to be false.

Come on, how is it hard not to catch a virus? How do you get them, if you have problems with them?

Naiki Muliaina
November 23rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
I hads a bad patch where i swear i got a new virus every week on XP... Didnt stick with Vista long enough to catch a virus. Windows 7 i have yet to fully try out. Gave it a 2 hour roadtest on a mates laptop, but i dont really think you can judge an entire OS on 2 hours worth of use.

running_rabbit07
November 23rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
It does not matter whether you believe me or not. :) This is my experience and you can either accept it or not. It really isn't so rare, either. It just comes up more commonly here where people so frequently look for reasons to bash Windows. I can understand getting a virus once a year, but some people here claim they have to constantly and actively fight viruses, or that their machines are plagued by dozens of viruses, and for me, the choice is either to consider them careless or their statements to be false.

Come on, how is it hard not to catch a virus? How do you get them, if you have problems with them?

What I mean when I say I get them is that I see Norton catch them before they can infect. I am not bashing Windows, because I have scanned my temp folder on Ubuntu and found viruses there. I just have a really hard time believing that a person could never encounter them, even if it is just a notice from the AV saying it caught one during a download or something of that nature. I do know of people that fight viruses on a regular basis, but they are running AVG free and do not use any caution on the net.

mivo
November 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
No, my scanner isn't set to automatically delete anything - as with all my software, I only enable notifications and "ask me what to do". I don't let software automatically delete or modify files without consent.

I have used Microsoft Security Essentials for a while now (seems easy on the resources), Avast before that, and prior to that Avira, to which I switched from Avast (went back to it later), etc. Norton and McAfee are products I never used. Never saw the need to pay for AV software. There's always been good and beer-free choices.

It probably helps that I don't download a lot of executable stuff, and that I don't torrent executables, either. I was genuinely interested in how people contract a larger number of viruses. I mean, what are they doing and where are they downloading/getting files from?

running_rabbit07
November 23rd, 2009, 01:05 AM
I've got them as easily as clicking a link in myspace.com. I have gotten them from downloading photos before. The only exe files I have ever downloaded have been from trusted sites. I am guessing the ones that ClamAV are finding are tracking cookies, but I don't know for sure being that ClamAV's GUI is very poor and doesn't tell anything about the files.

aysiu
November 23rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
I didn't read all responses, but I didn't see a voting option that works for me. That's what Other (please explain) is for.

LinuxFox
November 23rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
I voted for Linux, I simply love using it. I use Windows, and it's ok. The only thing I don't like is how I need security software because of viruses and spyware, also Blue Screen of Death (this happened often with ME for me).

Mac on the other hand, I only tried MacOS X in an Apple Store. I did like using the old MacOS 8 and System 7 back in the 90s.

khelben1979
November 23rd, 2009, 01:20 AM
It probably helps that I don't download a lot of executable stuff, and that I don't torrent executables, either. I was genuinely interested in how people contract a larger number of viruses. I mean, what are they doing and where are they downloading/getting files from?

From a security standpoint I would agree that having control on exactly everything you do makes the system more secure and the risks of getting infected decreases a lot. But seriously, most people don't do that and I'm one of them, although I've tried.

Because I have had a great need on using Windows in the past I struggled to keep my system virus free and this is because I didn't want to contribute to the spreading which easily occurs, but I got tired of it and so I'm happy about Linux and the relief I feel about not caring about anti-viruses.

I believe it's possible to have a virus free Windows system, but then it definitely shouldn't have any access to the internet, because that's the source of the problem. Just cut the cable I guess.. :-$

HappinessNow
November 23rd, 2009, 01:25 AM
Others - BSD & Haiku

(actually I use regularly all 3: Linux, Windows (XP) and OS X I like them all equally) :p

red_Marvin
November 23rd, 2009, 01:42 AM
Being a linux user since four-five years or so, I've grown fond of the posix way and I cannot go back to windows. I haven't got any real mac experience but from what I hear and read about it, it is not what I want my computer to be.

I guess my answer is linux only...

danbuter
November 23rd, 2009, 02:17 AM

It's sad that just about any thread on Linux needs to have this disclaimer in it, or the nerds will freak.

Also, I like parts of all 3 OS's, and hate other parts.

Windows: Love the gaming, and I know where everything is. But it's a major target for blackhats.
OS X: It works well. But it's annoyingingly simplistic at times.
Linux: Generally awesome. But the user UI tends to be ignored. And can be very unstable at times.

Frak
November 23rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
Viruses aren't a random occurance. Somebody has to be at the helm to cause an infection. Somebody has to touch sloppy seconds susie to catch the virus.

lightningfox
November 23rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
I like Linux and Mac OS X.

phrostbyte
November 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
I voted for the Linux option, but it's probably not true. Since I like Haiku also. :)

I don't really hate Windows and Mac though, I just hate the companies that makes it (especially Microsoft). Well that's not even accurate. It's actually that I hate the business model that drives proprietary software.

KiraLexi
November 23rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
To be honest, I'm not that thrilled with any of the Big Three. They all have brain-damages that aren't acceptable to me. Linux is closest for general-purpose computing, but if I'm doing something specific I prefer to do something else.

Windows is a pain for doing any development other than .NET. I tried doing some Ruby on Rails dev on it once, since our server was having issues. It wasn't fun.

Mac OS is a bizarre hybrid system, that's sort of Unixy but likes to do things differently. And its tied to overpriced hardware, unless you want to wade through the mess of installing it on commodity systems.

Linux has stability issues, but generally works pretty well. It doesn't have CDE. ZFS/Linux is still in the early stages. Hardware-support on non-x86 systems is hit-and-miss.

I prefer...

QNX for embedded stuff. I actually tried using it as a desktop OS for a bit, back when they were positioning it as a developer workstation system (early 6.x days.) It was cool, and the user interface is possibly the best out there. Being able to run the same OS on a medium-sized x86 cluster and an ARM7 is pretty awesome.

Solaris. The best UNIX, hands-down. I'm a bit nervous about some of the late changes though (apparent phase-out of CDE, for instance)

VMS is also really cool once you get the hang of it. Definitely not a desktop-type OS though.

exoren22
November 23rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
+Any number so large that we don't have an english representation for it.

You can't have a number which is so large that there isn't an english representation for it, because then it would be the number represented by the sentence that it is unrepresentable. I't go with +Aleph-null.

hoppipolla
November 23rd, 2009, 06:38 AM
I said all 3, as I think they all have their qualities. Having said that though, my top choice is very firmly Lin! :)

Roasted
November 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
Linux: Generally awesome. But the user UI tends to be ignored. And can be very unstable at times.

...What? :confused::confused:

Considering the insane uptime I've had this kind of surprised me to read.

KiraLexi
November 23rd, 2009, 06:56 AM

Have you pushed a Linux server to 100% load for a sustained period of time, and compared it to Solaris/SPARC under the same load?

Linux doesn't come out on top.

Giant Speck
November 23rd, 2009, 07:09 AM

People have differing experiences with software?!? What is this madness?

running_rabbit07
November 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Have you pushed a Linux server to 100% load for a sustained period of time, and compared it to Solaris/SPARC under the same load?

I think you failed to read what he was replying to.

KiraLexi
November 23rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
He disputed the fact that Linux is unstable. Compared to other Unix-like systems, it is.

Dragonbite
November 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
I'm not even overly paranoid and just do a few things:

Sounds like a lot of extra work. Now couple that with somebody who doesn't even know how to change the wallpaper and I can see why Windows has the most viruses!

Both of my parents have gotten some virus on their system. So far, I don't recall having a virus on my system ever, and I would prefer that record as I am setting up a home Windows system. I'd prefer putting Windows 7 on it but don't have the cash (or will) to pay for a copy.

mivo
November 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a lot of extra work.

A few double-clicks every few weeks? This is a lot of work for you? :) Or confirming an update notification? (I get more, and larger, updates in both Linux distros I use.) I certainly spent more time removing dependencies in Ubuntu and fixing breakages than I ever spent cleaning up Windows, though I wouldn't say that the maintenance of either OS is really time-consuming. (Well, except that one time when X broke for me in Arch.)

RiceMonster
November 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I find both OS's will require maintenance of some sort (Windows and Linux), and you can either do it right, or screw it up completely and get an unstable mess on either system. Obviously, there's going to be the case where people have hardware that doesn't agree or experience bugs beyond their control, however.

Roasted
November 23rd, 2009, 04:58 PM

Actually, yeah. I just had my Linux server pegged at 100% load all throughout early Sunday to this morning. *shrug*

Roasted
November 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
People have differing experiences with software?!? What is this madness?

Just considering we're comparing Windows, Mac, and Linux, it was shocking to see that.

Anybody familiar with Linux I'm sure would think the same.

RiceMonster
November 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Just considering we're comparing Windows, Mac, and Linux, it was shocking to see that.

Anybody familiar with Linux I'm sure would think the same.

I'm familiar with Linux and not shocked by it.

Roasted
November 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I'm familiar with Linux and not shocked by it.

You deserve a gold :KS

MaxIBoy
November 23rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Where's Plan 9 on that list?

Guitar John
November 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I use Ubuntu and I recently got hooked on Puppy (http://dadgadjohn.blogspot.com/2009/11/linux-is-going-to-dogs.html), so I am firmly in the Linux camp.

I have played with OS X on a friends Mac, and while it is not for me, I think it is okay. I don't really know enough about it to comment but everyone I know who has a Mac, raves about it.

RiceMonster
November 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Where's Plan 9 on that list?

yeah, and Z/OS! What the heck is this!?

KiraLexi
November 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Or Coyotos! Or DR-DOS! Or NonStop!

Frak
November 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Or Barrelfish!

jespdj
November 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM
... On my way home after I got off the bus I witnessed a teenage girl get hit by a car and the driver just drove away. It was about 3:30 am, and there wasn't anyone else around so I ran up to help her. I don't have a cell phone since I got rid of it a few years ago when I heard RMS say you shouldn't have one, but the girl had a iPhone. I was about to use it to call 911, but when I realized I was using proprietary software, I had to stop and think. I decided that I didn't give a rat's *** about this girl if helping her meant letting the evil corporations take away my Freedoms (as in speech) that Richard Stallman created for us.
I don't believe you are telling the truth here. If someone was seriously injured after an accident, you would help her, and things like which brand her cell phone is are irrelevant then. It's most likely also punishable (I mean illegal) to leave a victim without help, if you can do anything about it.

If you would really leave a victim like that just because she has an iPhone, then you are mentally sick and antisocial.

I applaud you for standing up for your beliefs!
If you think that is 'noble', you also have a mental problem.

LookTJ
November 24th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Ignoring my hatred toward both Microsoft and Apple's ideologies and approaches.

I like both Mac OS X and Linux, but dislike Windows. I mostly prefer Linux over Mac, even if Mac has some programs great in usability that meet some specific needs compared to some of the Linux programs(or even Windows).But same could be said about the other two.

mivo
November 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I don't believe you are telling the truth here. [...] If you would really leave a victim like that just because she has an iPhone, then you are mentally sick and antisocial.

To be even more obviously sarcastic, I think he would have had to add ";)" after every word. How could you possibly miss the sarcasm?