PDA

View Full Version : Was Atlantis really in highly advanced civilizations?

frenchn00b
November 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis

they even can say that there was some electricity there

NoaHall
November 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Right, that's it, I'm going to cry.

RiceMonster
November 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Cool story bro

PuddingKnife
November 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Cool story bro

That old wives tale?

koleoptero
November 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Cool story bro
I always love it when you respond like that.

t0p
November 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
That old wives tale?

What do you mean "old wive's tale"? It's all true: it's in Wikipedia for pete's sake!

:p

Elfy
November 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Atlantis is the source of the early and seemingly otherworldly, advanced technology.

It says so here - http://www.paranormalnews.com/article.asp?articleid=1400

Chronon
November 18th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Was Zeus really able to call down lightning from Mount Olympus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
@ the OP: Yes.

Frak
November 18th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I always love it when you respond like that.
Cool story bro

frenchn00b
November 19th, 2009, 05:13 AM

that's nice to read this paranormal thing bro

Tipped OuT
November 19th, 2009, 05:51 AM
This thread is not going anywhere, bro.

;)

frenchn00b
November 19th, 2009, 06:35 AM

do you think that UFO, aliens, exist?

It was not aliens, Erich…it was our ancestors.

kevin11951
November 19th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Of course Atlantis exists! Heres a picture... See?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/An_Ancient_City_Ship.jpg

;)

amitabhishek
November 19th, 2009, 07:17 AM

;)

+1 bro. :)

CarpKing
November 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Does dead Cthulhu really wait dreaming in his house at R'lyeh?

Grenage
November 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Clearly it existed, I played an Indiana Jones game years ago, where he checked the place out. They had to get all that artwork from somewhere.

handy
November 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM

;)

Make a list of all of the places that are anywhere that it could have gone?...

The thread never had a hope from its conception.

wilee-nilee
November 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Make a list of all of the places that are anywhere that it could have gone?...

The thread never had a hope from its conception.

I heard that it was levitated by aliens into another dimension. ;)

handy
November 19th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I heard that it was levitated by aliens into another dimension. ;)

It must have been good stuff...

Elfy
November 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM
It was - I was there.

Not all it was cracked up to be though ;)

SunnyRabbiera
November 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Its possible, so much has been lost to time.
Its the main reason I give at least 1 cent to the Mayan "doomsday" prophecy as we know so little about them.
Hey if Romans could build aquaducts, Egyptians could build huge pyramids and the Chinese bould a wall that can be seen from space then anything can possibly have some sense of truth in it.
Even if it isnt much.

halovivek
November 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Hi
I am having one doubt..
Do you believe in Atlantis..?
is it a hoax or truth?

handy
November 19th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Do you honestly expect that anyone can post something on this or any other forum that is going to provide valid proof for the existence or otherwise of Atlantis?

handy
November 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Didn't Jacque Cousteau, make a documentary showing footage of some of the remains of Atlantis?

realzippy
November 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM
If this is your only question....

MODS,please merge thread to:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1330698

cascade9
November 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Didn't Jacque Cousteau, make a documentary showing footage of some of the remains of Atlantis?

AFAIK, that was Andros Island/Great Blue Hole, Belize. Also, IIRC, Jacque Cousteau ended up going for the Minoan/Thera was Atlantis theory.

SunnyRabbiera
November 19th, 2009, 10:48 AM
AFAIK, that was Andros Island/Great Blue Hole, Belize. Also, IIRC, Jacque Cousteau ended up going for the Minoan/Thera was Atlantis theory.

I lean that way myself, now if the Atlantians had spaceships and crap I dunno but I do think they might have been real.

Arup
November 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Some more twists to the Atlantis theory.

http://wwwaom.blogspot.com/2006/10/atlantis-was-situated-in-indian-ocean-2.html

http://indianbureaucratsdiary.blogspot.com/2008/02/dwarka-lost-atlantis.html

totheleft
November 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
yes its all true! even one bloke from there got his own tv show :popcorn:

http://blogs.journallive.co.uk/journalblogcentral/atlantis.jpg

fromthehill
November 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
even if they existed and had advanced technology
it didn't help them much did it :p

Arup
November 19th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Technology is a relative issue, it may appear cutting edge but nature always takes its course and will do so now as well. Generations after this will be discussing just like we are doing so now.

lethalfang
November 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Its the main reason I give at least 1 cent to the Mayan "doomsday" prophecy as we know so little about them.
Hey if Romans could build aquaducts, Egyptians could build huge pyramids and the Chinese bould a wall that can be seen from space then anything can possibly have some sense of truth in it.
Even if it isnt much.

None of those great constructions required advanced/sophisticated technology. They just needed a lot of experience in architecture, mathematics, and equally important was the supremely cheap labor.

lovinglinux
November 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM
If this is your only question....

MODS,please merge thread to:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1330698

Two threads about Atlantis on the same day. What's going on? Is there a new movie about it?

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 11:43 AM
<--- see my location

no, we are not that advanced, but we have internet.

lethalfang
November 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
<--- see my location

no, we are not that advanced, but we have internet.

Have fun with your dial-up! ):P

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
and the Chinese bould a wall that can be seen from space
as far as I know, that's a common belief which is not true.

You need to really know what you're looking at to spot the chinese wall from space (not that I tried). :-)

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 12:26 PM
and the Chinese bould a wall that can be seen from space

as far as I know, that's a common belief which is not true.

You need to really know what you're looking at to spot the chinese wall from space (not that I tried). :-)

But Pink Floyd made shows that could be seen from space. Yeah, they made one here on Atlantis, and my friend from Mars have seen it.

megamania
November 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
But Pink Floyd made shows that could be seen from space.
I know. That's why you could see flying pigs when they were playing.

wilee-nilee
November 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
None of those great constructions required advanced/sophisticated technology. They just needed a lot of experience in architecture, mathematics, and equally important was the supremely cheap labor.
The Egyptians had cheap labor in a modern context they are called slaves.

Zoot7
November 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Is there a new movie about it?
There is a movie based on Stargate Atlantis to be released at some point early next year I think.
That's the only upcoming Movie I know of.

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hi
I am having one doubt..
Do you believe in Atlantis..?
is it a hoax or truth?

That's where I live.

<---

Bölvağur
November 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
the Chinese bould a wall that can be seen from space

yes... if the definition of "seeing from space" is looking through a really strong telescope from the orbit of the earth (much closer than the moon if you didnt know -.- ) then yes.... otherwise it is a very bad lie that no one with the right mind should be fooled into believing.... why would you see a tiny wall when it is difficult to see much bigger rivers...

I think your post just shows how messed up humans are. They believe anything at all, no matter how stupid it is.

If there would have been Atlantis there would be easily spotted by how shallow it would be (it would be an underwater island if the myth is correct) and there would be walls, objects... clear signs of an village. There has never been found anything like that.

There is much more believable tale about a country that can be found undersea.... you have to travel on a towel down there. There is an castle and cows eating grass.. and everyone is very rich... but no internet. Lets search for that instead... it makes more sense than Atlantis.

Tristam Green
November 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
For all Atlantis information, see this documentary:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Atlantisposter.jpg

3rdalbum
November 19th, 2009, 02:02 PM
The Atlantics certainly existed. I have one of their albums.

realzippy
November 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atlantics

handy
November 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM

That certainly sound like a similar to us doesn't it?...

Like China?

forrestcupp
November 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Leonardo da Vinci engineered a bridge that was not built because it was impossible to construct in his time. In 2001, a smaller version of his bridge was successfully constructed in Norway. He had a lot of other inventions that were impossible to build at that time that have since been successfully constructed.

Even if there were an Atlantis that was full of uber-geniuses, they wouldn't have had the precision and technology available to do the things that people say about them.

Unless they were aliens! 8-[

samirbasha
November 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Truth dude.
But they used really bad operational systems so they died in result:D

cascade9
November 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
The Egyptians had cheap labor in a modern context they are called slaves.

The only people who think that the pyramids were build by slaves are people who are _really_ into greek writing (Herodotus and Diodorus Siculus said that they were build by slaves) and some of the loony christian fringe (who like to think that they were built by the Israelites. Everybody else, including the egyptologists, think they were built by skilled workers, possibly with the help of the 'average' egyptians.

"The logistics of construction at the Giza site are staggering when you think that the ancient Egyptians had no pulleys, no wheels, and no iron tools. Yet, the dimensions of the pyramid are extremely accurate and the site was leveled within a fraction of an inch over the entire 13.1-acre base.

This is comparable to the accuracy possible with modern construction methods and laser leveling. That's astounding. With their `rudimentary tools,' the pyramid builders of ancient Egypt were about as accurate as we are today with 20th century technology."
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1999_Feb_5/ai_53718895/

So, people who had no knowledge of wheels, pulleys, and using only stone and copper tools made something that is at least as accurate as modern building techniques? OK. Maybe. The relief chambers in the great pyramid are _very_ technically advanced, and AFAIK no-one has ever explained how the bottom chamber of the 3rd pyramid (Menkaure, Mykerinos in greek) was produced. Theres no-where near enough room for the blocks to have been hoisted into position. See here-

http://www.answersingenesis.org/assets/images/articles/utp/chap7/tomb.jpg

(yes yes, I know, dodgy site, but its a good pic) That IS bedrock above the tomb roof, and that IS less than 50cm of clearance between the top of the roof stones and the bedrock.

Thats all getting off the point, though.

If there would have been Atlantis there would be easily spotted by how shallow it would be (it would be an underwater island if the myth is correct) and there would be walls, objects... clear signs of an village. There has never been found anything like that.

Point 1- If atlantis was part of the Canary Islands (which, I admit, does not fit with 'bigger than libya and asia combined') its quite possible that any ancient buildings are sitting under up to 10,000ft of atlantic ocean.

Point 2- there has been stuff found in the Bimini area. Which, if it was connected to the north american mainland (which it possibly was 10,000B.C., which fits with Platos dating) fits prefectly with 'a landmass larger than Libya and Asia together. Yes, N. America isnt as big as 'asia' but asia as seen by the greeks is no-where near as big as what we know asia to be.

Yes, there is debate about if the bimini road is human produced, and the dating if it is, but dont believe everything the archeaologists say. They also think that the Yonaguni Structure is totally naturally made, and that the cocaine in egyptian mummies is from 19th C archaeologists snorting while working (even though the cocaine is found in internal organs, hair, etc.). On the basis that they know what ancient trade routers were used, and there was no contact between old world and new. Theres a profound love of circular logic in archaeology. As long as it supports previous theories about the ancient world, which are extensions of 19th C christain theology, expectations and beliefs.

When people do challenge the accepted theories, they tend to be either ignored or dealt with harshly by the archeaological establishment. IIRC, R. Hancock and few of his connected researches (who I presonally think are a bit nuts but highly interesting) and Dr. Schoch (they geologist who positied that the sphinx is at least 6500 years old) have all been banned from the giza necropolis by Zawi Hawass (egyptian head of archaeology).

chris200x9
November 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM
they were too shortsighted to run a back up server with pics. As they say "pics or it didn't happen"...

Tibuda
November 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
they were too shortsighted to run a back up server with pics. As they say "pics or it didn't happen"...

we have pics, but we also care for our privacy.

Potters Son
November 19th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Even if it isnt much.

Um, I'm sorry to protest, but there are at least two things wrong with your examples. Nothing personal, I'm just posting trivia.

Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a New Age belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the last day of the 13th b'ak'tun. But that is not the end of the Long Count because the 14th through 20th b'ak'tuns are still to come.

As for the Great Wall of China, I heard that a Chinese astronaut denied that fact -- it is simply a myth.

I still do agree with you, though, that Atlantis is plausible. At least until someone manages to modify another D'Lorean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_future) to check it out for themselves.

spupy
November 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Was Zeus really able to call down lightning from Mount Olympus?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus

Yes, he could. But only because he wa a nanobot-enhanced post-human, watching over the greeks from his Mars fortress from several thousand years in the future.

spupy
November 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Atlantics
I though this will be a thread related to typography. Some sort of alternative to italics? :) Can you type in atlantics?

wilee-nilee
November 19th, 2009, 09:51 PM
The only people who think that the pyramids were build by slaves are people who are _really_ into greek writing (Herodotus and Diodorus Siculus said that they were build by slaves) and some of the loony christian fringe (who like to think that they were built by the Israelites. Everybody else, including the egyptologists, think they were built by skilled workers, possibly with the help of the 'average' egyptians.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1999_Feb_5/ai_53718895/

So, people who had no knowledge of wheels, pulleys, and using only stone and copper tools made something that is at least as accurate as modern building techniques? OK. Maybe. The relief chambers in the great pyramid are _very_ technically advanced, and AFAIK no-one has ever explained how the bottom chamber of the 3rd pyramid (Menkaure, Mykerinos in greek) was produced. Theres no-where near enough room for the blocks to have been hoisted into position. See here-

http://www.answersingenesis.org/assets/images/articles/utp/chap7/tomb.jpg

(yes yes, I know, dodgy site, but its a good pic) That IS bedrock above the tomb roof, and that IS less than 50cm of clearance between the top of the roof stones and the bedrock.

Thats all getting off the point, though.

Point 1- If atlantis was part of the Canary Islands (which, I admit, does not fit with 'bigger than libya and asia combined') its quite possible that any ancient buildings are sitting under up to 10,000ft of atlantic ocean.

Point 2- there has been stuff found in the Bimini area. Which, if it was connected to the north american mainland (which it possibly was 10,000B.C., which fits with Platos dating) fits prefectly with 'a landmass larger than Libya and Asia together. Yes, N. America isnt as big as 'asia' but asia as seen by the greeks is no-where near as big as what we know asia to be.

Yes, there is debate about if the bimini road is human produced, and the dating if it is, but dont believe everything the archeaologists say. They also think that the Yonaguni Structure is totally naturally made, and that the cocaine in egyptian mummies is from 19th C archaeologists snorting while working (even though the cocaine is found in internal organs, hair, etc.). On the basis that they know what ancient trade routers were used, and there was no contact between old world and new. Theres a profound love of circular logic in archaeology. As long as it supports previous theories about the ancient world, which are extensions of 19th C christain theology, expectations and beliefs.

When people do challenge the accepted theories, they tend to be either ignored or dealt with harshly by the archeaological establishment. IIRC, R. Hancock and few of his connected researches (who I presonally think are a bit nuts but highly interesting) and Dr. Schoch (they geologist who positied that the sphinx is at least 6500 years old) have all been banned from the giza necropolis by Zawi Hawass (egyptian head of archaeology).

I think it is what is the definition of slavery that is the argument here. Is indentured servitude, a social caste based work force, sharecropping, a form of slavery? Your discounting of the only people who think it was a slave caste is very problematic.