PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub reads menu.lst from wrong partition

woomatic
November 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hi!

I've got a problem with Grub since updating to 9.10.

I have ubuntu installed on one partition (sda5) and ubuntu studio on another (sda6). Before updating grub apparently read menu.lst from sda5 (or rather hd0,4))/boot/grub/menu.lst, as it should, but now after updating it uses the one on the ubuntu studio partition instead.
The only way to boot with the correct menu.lst for now is to enter the grub console at startup and load the correct config manually :-/.

Is there some way to fix this without doing much damage to my current setup?

(This is not a Grub2 problem, as it was a regular update, no reinstall)

thanks,
woomatic

dstew
November 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Is there some way to fix this without doing much damage to my current setup?I am assuming you are using grub legacy (version 0.97 or earlier). If so, you need to re-install grub so that it gets its menu.lst file from the correct partition. If I misunderstood, and your bootloader is grub2 (version 1.97), then post back.

When you get the grub menu, press 'c' to get a command line. You should get the grub> prompt. If you are not completely sure that (hd0,4) is the correct root partition, you can use find /boot/grub/menu.lst, and you should get the locations of your two menu.lst files. You can use the grub cat command to view the files, to make sure you have the correct one. Then, reinstall grub. Assuming (hd0,4) is the correct partition (that is, has the correct /boot/grub/menu.lst file) the commands entered at the grub> prompt should be
root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0)
quitThen reboot.