PDA

View Full Version : not ubuntu related, but does anyone know any zulu?

corstar
February 19th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I have met a wonderful girl who's just moved to Perth, Australia and is originally from England with Zulu heritage.

I would like to impress her by learning some Zulu.
I'd really appreciate any links or even better, someone who could translate something for me(yes, she is fluent in English) but, this would earn me alot of brownie points....

Thanks guys....

PS. I already know Ubuntu...Thats a good start, eh...:D

fuscia
February 19th, 2006, 06:23 PM
when i worked at the BU library, one of my fellow workers came across a zulu phrase book (it appeared to have been written for aid workers). one of the phrases in the book was the zulu for "don't meddle with the boy's *****". that's probably of little use to you, i guess. best of luck.

Bragador
February 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
lol

And here I thought Zulu was a long lost language. I guess learning things with civilization games is not enough

:mrgreen:

corstar
February 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys...
I will have to really do some research on this..
The reason why I need the brownie points..... I have to fulfill a contract in the cocos islands for 3 months(as a chef). I've just met her too.
Man is she gonna be PISSED. Or totally understand and let me buy her a ticket over to stay for 2 weeks at least.

Has anyone else been in a pickle like this??

Krigl
February 19th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Go to http://home.unilang.org and register (you don't need to but it's better). There's almost nothing about Zulu itself but you will find speakers of most existing languages there and they'll surely help you.

corstar
February 19th, 2006, 08:19 PM
thank you thank you