PDA

View Full Version : I have found that most good film/video production is made for TV shows

HappinessNow
November 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I have found that most good film/video production is made for TV shows like:

"Lie to me"

"Heroes"

any other good ones?

or what are your thoughts about the lack of quality movies coming out of Hollywood?

SunnyRabbiera
November 18th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Made for TV movies are usually made by small and upcoming producers and writers.
Some of the best made for TV movies/series I have seen are:
The day after
The boy in the plastic bubble
V (even though the new series seems interesting)
The Night That Panicked America (I have not seen it in ages, it seems lost in time)

3rdalbum
November 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM
TV shows need to keep the same viewers over the course of 12 weeks. Movies merely need to seem enticing enough to get people to the box office.

Something similar that annoys me: Since when do TV cameras have better quality than film? Blu-rays that have been originally shot on film have terrible graininess which is very apparent in large patches of similar colour. Footage from a high-end digital video camera, however, looks perfect on Blu-ray. Anyone else noticed this?

etnlIcarus
November 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Someone needs to define, "good film/video production", unequivocally, as the only way I can see Heroes fitting that definition is technically and I'm unsure if that's the intended scope of this thread.

Grenage
November 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
the only way I can see Heroes fitting that definition is technically

I would have to agree with you there; but I suppose it's a matter of taste...

arnab_das
November 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM
well tv shows need to have a good start and a good finish everyday. make the story reach a climax and then abruptly end the show for that day!

you have a mega tv series! :)

etnlIcarus
November 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I much prefer long plot arcs; aside from credibility, they make for far more compelling character development and drama. They also have the advantage of making for good marathon viewing.

SunnyRabbiera
November 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I much prefer long plot arcs; aside from credibility, they make for far more compelling character development and drama. They also have the advantage of making for good marathon viewing.

I like a mix of well written arcs and good clean fun, thats why I can be both a Dexter fan and a Monk fan too

JBAlaska
November 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
TV..idk, there have been a few good movies out this year imho. Inglourious bas***ds, Zombieland, Pandorm, Surrogates, The Hangover were good and Pirate radio aka the boat that rocked was ok.

I watched 2012 last night I thought it was ok..most think it sux.

I "like Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia" on tv that's it i think..

treesurf
November 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Something similar that annoys me: Since when do TV cameras have better quality than film? Blu-rays that have been originally shot on film have terrible graininess which is very apparent in large patches of similar colour. Footage from a high-end digital video camera, however, looks perfect on Blu-ray. Anyone else noticed this?

The problem is not that film is of poor quality. The problem is that a transfer is being made from an analog format to a digital format. On top of that the framerate is being changed. It's tricky to do a good transfer, and sometimes the subtle nuances of lighting that are possible in film are totally lost and look like crap when transferred to video/digital.