PDA

View Full Version : I could win an iMac G3

BWF89
February 19th, 2006, 06:03 PM
My school couldn't get rid out of our iMac G3's we replaced with G4 and G5's a couple of months ago so their having a blind drawing to give them away, but ofcourse you have to "donate" $20 to the school inorder to get one if you win. So I put my name in.

Since I hate useing MacOS9 I'm going to have to replace it with a modern operating system. So I was thinking of going with either Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, or spending $120 on MacOS 10.4 Tiger.

Pros and Cons of each:
Debian Sarge: 14 CD's so I'm proably going to be getting everything and the kitchen sink and it's been around for over 10 years so it's stood the test of time. But since the iMac G3 probably doesn't have a very big hard drive those 14 installation CD's might to take up a good chunk of the space.

Ubuntu: Supposed to be easier to use than Debian but it only has 1 install CD so it probably doesn't come with as much as Debian.

MacOS 10.4 Tiger: Better hardware support than Linux, more multimedia codec support. But since the G3 processor is very slow (233MHz to 700MHz) I doubt whether Tiger would run that fast and most of the software for MacOS10 probably wouldn't run on something that slow anyway.

blueturtl
February 19th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I recently got a hold of an iMac G3 (500 MHz, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD) which I donated to my little sister. It came with OS 9 and OS X (10.1). I was skeptical about running OS X on a machine so old but I decided I should try nevertheless. OS X runs surprisingly well on the system. It even handles multiple apps reasonably well (I wouldn't expect Photoshop to run though). For 128 megs of RAM it's still a bit of a miracle. The CPU doesn't seem so much a bottleneck.

If you get your hands on one I suspect Ubuntu with a desktop environment lighter than Gnome or KDE could work wonders on it.

Arktis
February 19th, 2006, 06:14 PM
You left out Dapper.

BWF89
February 19th, 2006, 06:14 PM
If you get your hands on one I suspect Ubuntu with a window manager lighter than Gnome or KDE could work wonders on it.
What combination of Desktop enviroment / window manager should I use?

xequence
February 19th, 2006, 06:32 PM
14 CD's

You only need 3 for a KDE or Gnome install.

My opinion? If OSX can run decent enough on it, use it. If it cant, try OS9 for a week and see if you like it better. If not go with ubuntu.

fishbroetchn
February 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
you will not have the performace for tiger. its getting slow on my ibook 800mhz - 360mb ram. i would go for ubuntu, maybe with xfce, which is fast as hell.

aysiu
February 19th, 2006, 06:39 PM
You only need 3 for a KDE or Gnome install. If you have an internet connection, you need only one, and then you can install whatever other packages you need off the internet.

rfruth
February 19th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Forget OS 9 & a old G3 dosn't have the horsepower for Tiger so if it were me Panther (which for a legit copy is $ 19.95) or Ubuntu with a lightweight (or no) GUI

XDevHald
February 19th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Just a tip, Dapper is good to run and is somewhat stable on some gtk apps and etc, but if you just want a fast desktop get xfce's new version 4.2.3.2 and run that on Breezy or something lower of Ubuntu, but Dapper does not run stable on xfce so please don't install Dapper and then xfce on a session with it

*** It Won't Work Stable ***

Good Luck!

xequence
February 19th, 2006, 06:45 PM
If you have an internet connection, you need only one, and then you can install whatever other packages you need off the internet.

What happens when you want to reformat and do a clean install? (Because of any reason). Youll have to download it all again :P

BWF89
February 19th, 2006, 07:21 PM
How is Xubuntu different from the Debian Minimum install? How exactly is it supposed to be more desktop ready and easier to use?

How do you even pronounce Xfce or Xubuntu? Is it ex-fsce and ex-ooh-bun-two?

aysiu
February 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
How is Xubuntu different from the Debian Minimum install? How exactly is it supposed to be more desktop ready and easier to use? Xubuntu is a full (but light) desktop environment. Debian minimum isn't even a desktop.

How do you even pronounce Xfce or Xubuntu? Is it ex-fsce and ex-ooh-bun-two? I think XFCE is pronounced ex-ef-see-ee, and Xubuntu is pronounced shooboontoo.

mstlyevil
February 19th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I would definitely go with Ubuntu (or it's baby brother Xubuntu) in this case. You can always add the packages you want after the install and you will only use as much disk space as you need and no more unlike Debian. Xubuntu would be a better fit for that computer and will run better than OSX because it is lighter on the resources. That is my 2 cents.

BWF89
February 19th, 2006, 09:03 PM
The drawing is on Feb 27th, I'm going to be notified if I win by phone on Feb 28th and told when the pick up will be sometime in March.

It seems so far away.

BWF89
February 27th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I won

I just got a phone call from my middle school principal telling me that I can pick it up on March 9th from 15:30 to 16:30.

w00t!

aysiu
February 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I won

I just got a phone call from my middle school principal telling me that I can pick it up on March 9th from 15:30 to 16:30.

w00t! You won? That's great!

BWF89
February 27th, 2006, 10:07 PM
What is the newest iMac G3 model?

The flyer says they have 574, 570, 5500, and 5600 models of the computers.

Common since would tell me that the bigger the number the better the computer but that's not always the case. Which one is the fastest and how can I tell which is which?

xequence
February 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Take whatever looks newer and cooler :P

BWF89
February 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Take whatever looks newer and cooler :P
All I know is the older ones have the moving trey cd rom drives and the newer ones use rollers.

Brunellus
February 27th, 2006, 10:34 PM
can you use Freenx or VNC on the iMac, and use it as a dumb X terminal to a more powerful computer? That would be cool....like an ersatz SunRay thin client from the late '90s

BWF89
February 27th, 2006, 10:36 PM
can you use Freenx or VNC on the iMac, and use it as a dumb X terminal to a more powerful computer? That would be cool....like an ersatz SunRay thin client from the late '90s
The only other computer I have in the house belongs to my parents who use Windows XP.

Bandit
February 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I would run Ubuntu Breezy (or Dapper when its released) with Windowmaker and all the gnome libs installed. That should run very very fast. I would try to get another 128MB stick of RAM if it only has 128 tho.. Other then that it should rock...
I will keep my fingures x'd that you win......
Cheers,
Joey

TTT_travis
February 28th, 2006, 01:04 AM
As far as I know you need special software to get OS X tiger to run on there, but its known to work well and OS X Tiger runs plenty fast on a G3 for basic use. I am on a G3 Blue and White right now with a 350mhz cpu and 512mb of ram running OS X, I will be gettings a Intel Mac Mini, supposedly coming out tommorow.

BTW whoever had the idea to do a drawing for the computers at your school is smart, schools usually have to pay to get rid of computers, to actually make money is even better.