PDA

View Full Version : Converting CS students to Ubuntu

Localhoste
November 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hello~

This is quite a block of text that's mostly about me and my life, so it's probably boring. I don't expect many people to read or reply to this, I just want to give the people who do want to reply, well, an occasion to do so.

So I'm a Computer Science student (first year...) and have been using Ubuntu for a year and a half now, and like it so much that I want to convert people to it. I see all my classmates rocking their Windows netbooks or their fancypants OS X shiny laptops but I feel like they're missing out by not learning about Ubuntu or Linux in general. It is probably going to occupy a great place in their lives if they go for a CS degree, especially if they're going to become sysadmins and such... Obviously most of them want to be games developers but whatever.
In particular, I have a certain close friend that I've known since high school and he's been using Windows the whole time. I force-taught him web development, basis of PHP/MySQL, etc., but he seems reluctant to learn new things, which I think is a crucial skill in computer science, IT, etc.
So far I've told him what Linux is, and I've shown him my own laptop running Kubuntu. I tried the price argument, the good community support argument, and as a last resort, I showed him some cool Compiz effects, Ear Candy, etc., you know, the stuff you can't find anywhere else. But he simply refuses to learn more about it, he says that his Windows does everything he wants it to do, and thus Ubuntu can either (in a perfect world) do as well as Windows, or (in a not-so-perfect-world) only do a subset of what he can currently do; thus there is no reason to spend time changing and learning a new OS and stuff. I did push him hard enough to make him try the Live CD but he said it was way too slow, too ugly, and it sucked because he couldn't get the "cube" to work (obviously, since he was using only the Live CD). I told him those problems won't be there once he installs it but he said it would just be a waste of time and feared losing his data when partitioning.

So I guess I could phrase my question like this: How can I "open his mind" to make him want to learn new things, or at least open it enough to convince him to try Ubuntu a bit more? How can I try to convert such a type of person? (Or should I not try at all?)

schauerlich
November 18th, 2009, 06:54 AM
It sounds like your friend doesn't want to use Ubuntu, and has no reason to. You're not opening his mind by trying to get him to use Ubuntu all of the time, you're shoving your own stuff in the cracks.

ve4cib
November 18th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Rule 1: Operating systems are not religions, and users of non-Linux systems are not heretics to be converted.

Sorry, I just had to put that out there. Nothing annoys me more than people trying to "convert" other people to use a particular piece of software. It makes it seem like Linux users are the tech equivilent of Jehovah's Witnesses or Born-Again Baptists trying to save the souls of the unwashed masses.

Anyway, pet-peeves aside, I think you've set yourself up for a major uphill battle. Generally you cannot force people to do anything they don't already want to try. If your friend doesn't want to learn new things then getting him to switch from Windows to Linux is just never going to work. He'll expect things to work one way, will likely get frustrated when it doesn't work the way he expects, and will promptly boot back into Windows and likely never look back. It's unfortunate, but true. The same could be said for a Mac-user being forced to try out Windows, or a lifelong Linux-user being forced to use OSX.

If he thinks the Ubuntu live disc is slow and ugly give him an Ubuntu-derivative. Kubuntu might be more to his liking from an aesthetics angle, but will likely have the same problems in terms of speed. MoonOS might be the best bet here; it uses e17 by default, so it consumes relatively few resources, but looks fantastic. The default theme is maybe a touch weird (it's all green and silver -- very pretty if you like that leafy/verdant look, but a bit jarring at first), but it's got some nice flash and polish right out of the box.

His fears about losing data if/when he installs Ubuntu are not entirely without merit. Yes, it is possible to botch the partitioning and accidentally wipe the data you meant to save. This is where trying it out on a VM might be a better bet. VirtualBox works well on Windows, so you might suggest that. Still no cube effects, but it'll be faster than the live disc.

Ultimately though, if he doesn't want to use Linux then no amount of forcing, prodding, or bribing will make him change his mind. Trying to force the issue cannot end well as far as I can see.

brian183
November 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Don't waste your time.

Khakilang
November 18th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Some people are so much in their comfort zone in order to change. Sometime you have to respect him/her the way they are and not to bother much. I hope they are not doing the same thing to you, convert to Window/Apple. Maybe some people hate the new learning curve. Or probably they are rich to buy every new hardware or OS when it launch and probably do not have any old computer lying around. Unless they get a severe virus attack and they ask you for help. Than thats your chance otherwise get on with your life with Linux.

Chronon
November 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Don't force. Don't proselytize. You will only alienate people and cause friction with your friend. The best thing you can do is to use Linux and like it. Learn to do things more efficiently than on a Windows system -- as I am starting to do by learning how to script complex tasks.

Forcing ideas down someone's throat is a great way to make them reject those ideas.

Localhoste
November 18th, 2009, 07:38 AM
All right, I can hear you all loud and clear :) I kind of feel bad for him because he doesn't know what he's missing, but that's his loss I guess.

Thank you all, marking as solved!

The Toxic Mite
November 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM
tl;dr

Zoot7
November 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM
So I'm a Computer Science student (first year...) and have been using Ubuntu for a year and a half now, and like it so much that I want to convert people to it. I see all my classmates rocking their Windows netbooks or their fancypants OS X shiny laptops but I feel like they're missing out by not learning about Ubuntu or Linux in general.
Just because you like it a lot and use it a lot of the time, doesn't mean everybody else should too. I've fallen into that trap before TBH.

Don't get me wrong, I'd argue that everybody who's adept in the field of Computers (which presumably a CS class would be), should try out Linux on their own machine at some point, for the amount of fun it can be.
Forcing it upon people is a bad idea though.

Nerd King
November 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
He's not missing anything if he's happy with what he's got. We use the tools we consider best for a given job. i use linux for pretty much everything bar gaming and music production. That's my choice. Your friend has the same choice.

Btw.. force-taught.. what the hell? Seriously, dude you're coming across as a major douchebag here.