PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have this problem when typing?

billdotson
November 18th, 2009, 06:05 AM
When I type sometimes I will roll my finger on the shift key to capitalize the first letter of a word and it will capitalize the first two letters. I can make it not to this but I consciously have to slow down. It is really annoying, does anyone else ever have this problem? I am almost certain that I have let go of the shift key when it is doing this. When I type words like for it usually happens because I can roll those letters pretty quickly.

-grubby
November 18th, 2009, 06:07 AM
YEs

JBAlaska
November 18th, 2009, 06:12 AM
NEver happens to me, but you could try playing around with the KB settings, delay and speed or maybe under the accessibility tab "Only allow long keypresses".

Irihapeti
November 18th, 2009, 06:19 AM
It must happen to a fair number of people, because OpenOffice has an option to "Correct TWo INitial CApitals"

Exodist
November 18th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I must be slower then you guys. I normally cap a whole word at the start of a sentence. Esp if it was one of the old BASIC commands.

Mike'sHardLinux
November 18th, 2009, 06:38 AM
mY problem is similar to yours. :-)

cariboo
November 18th, 2009, 07:38 AM
YUpe. :)

Khakilang
November 18th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I don't have that problem. But my was when my palm hit the notebook touch pad and the cursor run to somewhere else and I have to use my mouse to bring it back. So I have to be aware where I lay my palm on when typing.

wilee-nilee
November 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM
You must have a light speed typing rate.

billdotson
November 19th, 2009, 02:36 AM
It only seems to happen when it is a word where the first letter is on the left side of the keyboard and within close proximity to the left shift button. I usually use the left shift button because the right shift button slows me down and is farther away from my right hand than the left one is for my left hand.

An example would be the word for. F is in close proximity to the left shift key so I can roll from the shift button (pinky) to the f key (index finger) and then the opposite hand can hit a key (o). If the letters have to be typed with the same hand or the opposite hand is used to type the capital letter it doesn't really happen.
I guess if open office has a way to stop that that will help but I could only hope that other programs that require heavy typing (like my programming IDEs) would do the same thing. Nothing is more inefficient than having to go back and lowercase a letter every time you have a capital word.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this annoying problem? I am using Windows right now but I don't see anything particularly useful in the accessibility category. It turns off quick key presses completely. Ideally wouldn't you want the operating system to change a second letter of a word to lowercase if it accepts that key press in below a certain time? Say you were typing For, the operating system could recognize that o was pressed less than 0.1 seconds after F was. Realizing this it would automatically change the second letter in any program to a lowercase. If multiple capital letters needed to be typed caps lock could be pressed or maybe there would be something you do to signify that you want a couple capital letters, like tap shift once before typing them (tap shift then use shift).
I don't know if the keys are actually being pressed while shift is being held down or of the keys are being pressed so fast that even if shift has just been let go it is still registered as a shift + key.

Bölvağur
November 19th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Never

lisati
November 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
OCcassionally happens to me, but thankfully not often.

I sometimes smoke while using my laptop. Ash and other related muck sometimes gets into the keyboard, causing it to skp letters. When this happens, the action of the keys usually feels different. A simple cure (short of not smoking) it to close the lid, turn the laptop over, shaking it gently while doing so.

Simon17
November 19th, 2009, 03:17 AM
<INsert INane COmment HEre>

wojox
November 19th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Don't roll. Lift and press.

emigrant
November 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM
i simply don't capitalize; i don't follow any standards :)

blueshiftoverwatch
November 19th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I use the caps lock key instead of shift. sO SOMETIMES WHEN I'M TYPING I'LL TYPE AN ENTIRE PARAGRAPH LIKE THIS before realizing my mistake.

thegreenblob
November 19th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I do that all the time.

I also think faster than I type so sometimes I skip words... (Though I would say I type pretty fast)

And sometimes I'm thinking of something else as I type so I type the completely wrong thing without noticing it until I'm done.

And sometimes I also type the wrong words, like I'll go to type "something" but end up typing "sometimes" cause I'll get a brainfart mid word and forget what word I'm typing. :P

emigrant
November 19th, 2009, 03:54 AM
And sometimes I also type the wrong words, like I'll go to type "something" but end up typing "sometimes" cause I'll get a brainfart mid word and forget what word I'm typing. :P

is english your first language? :o

thegreenblob
November 19th, 2009, 03:58 AM
is english your first language? :o

Yes it is. lol

forrestcupp
November 19th, 2009, 04:01 AM
˙ɹǝʌo pǝddılɟ ʇǝƃ spɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ʇsɐɟ os ǝdʎʇ ı

Windows Nerd
November 19th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Doesn't happen to me, but I only for some reason only type with my index and middle finger normally (though I can touch type if I force myself), so I type slower.

Megrimn
November 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM
yeah, happens to me a lot.

wulfgang
November 19th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I have that problem, and pressing backspace when entering something.\

Frak
November 19th, 2009, 04:41 AM
No.

magmon
November 19th, 2009, 04:43 AM
When I type sometimes I will roll my finger on the shift key to capitalize the first letter of a word and it will capitalize the first two letters. I can make it not to this but I consciously have to slow down. It is really annoying, does anyone else ever have this problem? I am almost certain that I have let go of the shift key when it is doing this. When I type words like for it usually happens because I can roll those letters pretty quickly.

Many years of online computer gaming has tuned my typing senses =P. I don't need to be even looking at the screen to know that I just misspelled a word or did a multicap. This problem eludes me, but I do have the uncanny problem of not being able to use other keyboards. My fingers know my keyboard, and don't adapt nicely to others.

lisati
November 19th, 2009, 05:23 AM
˙ɹǝʌo pǝddılɟ ʇǝƃ spɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ʇsɐɟ os ǝdʎʇ ı

Wot?

Biochem
November 19th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I don't have that problem. But my was when my palm hit the notebook touch pad and the cursor run to somewhere else and I have to use my mouse to bring it back. So I have to be aware where I lay my palm on when typing.

I disabled that touchpad "bug" for that exact reason. NOw if I could only release the SHift key faster...

Tomone
November 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I sometimes capitalize the first two letters of a word, but I also sometimes let go of the shift key too soon and end up capitalizing nothing.

emigrant
November 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM
enough trying to act as geeks by replying capitalizing first two letters :mrgreen:[-X

Biochem
November 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
What did you say?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86237

PhoHammer
November 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM
You must have a light speed typing rate.

I'm pretty slow, but it still happens to me.