PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nVidia GeForce FX 5500 installation problems

Jag8917
November 18th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Hi.

I want to set up my dual monitors but am having problems getting my second display to work. I have an nVidia GeForce FX 5500 PCI graphics card. I put it in my computer where it's nice and snug, then downloaded the drivers after booting. The driver I downloaded was accelerated graphics driver version 173. Now when I go to Administration then to NVIDIA X SERVER SETTINGS I get this message upon opening:

"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."

I am fairly new to Ubuntu. What is being asked and how do I perform what was said above?

overdrank
November 18th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Hi and welcome, what version of Ubuntu are you using?
You can find this under system, about Ubuntu. Did you install the nvidia drivers under system, administration, hardware drivers?

Jag8917
November 18th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Hi and welcome, what version of Ubuntu are you using?
You can find this under system, about Ubuntu. Did you install the nvidia drivers under system, administration, hardware drivers?

I am using version 9.04. And yes I installed the drivers from under system, administration, and hardware drivers.

Jag8917
November 18th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Actually, I was able to login as root. I then went to the terminal and typed in 'nvidia-xconfig' like previously mentioned and nothing happened.

Jag8917
November 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
No one knows? Am I even on the right board?

notgoingbackto_ms
November 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
do LSPCI in terminal and see if FX5500 is listed

dhavalbbhatt
November 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I am using version 9.04. And yes I installed the drivers from under system, administration, and hardware drivers.

Was this the only driver available to you? There are times when the system will prompt you to install drivers, but will have a couple of options, with one being the recommended option. Are these the recommended drivers?

I also think the card that you are using is really old and maybe nVidia does not support the card anymore. If I remember right, these cards were supported by 169.xx version of nVidia drivers and we are now at 190.xx - so, its definitely been a while.

Jag8917
November 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Was this the only driver available to you? There are times when the system will prompt you to install drivers, but will have a couple of options, with one being the recommended option. Are these the recommended drivers?

I also think the card that you are using is really old and maybe nVidia does not support the card anymore. If I remember right, these cards were supported by 169.xx version of nVidia drivers and we are now at 190.xx - so, its definitely been a while.

Yes, this was the recommended driver. Maybe should I look for 169 and uninstall 173?

EDIT: I looked for 169 but couldn't find it. Another option I was presented with was 96.

Jag8917
November 19th, 2009, 05:59 AM
do LSPCI in terminal and see if FX5500 is listed

I typed in LSPCI into the terminal and it said:

"bash: LSPCI: command not found"

overdrank
November 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I typed in LSPCI into the terminal and it said:

"bash: LSPCI: command not found"

Hi and do not use capital letters in the command
lspci
You may try the nvidia driver 96 to see if it works better.

Jag8917
November 20th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Hi and do not use capital letters in the command
lspciYou may try the nvidia driver 96 to see if it works better.
96 either doesn't work or I am not doing something right.

I also typed "lspci" into the terminal and the graphics card was listed:

"02:04.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] (rev a1)"