PDA

View Full Version : Q for you programmers

ExSuSEusr
November 18th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Got an old copy of Visual Studio 6 (yes legal and legit)... but I was wondering if it was still a viable tool for making programs in this day and age with VB.net and so forth...

I actually plan to use it to learn some C...

Is it still a good platform or it is totally obsolete now?

whoop
November 18th, 2009, 02:41 AM
If you want to learn some C you don't need this. I even think it will do more harm than good (but that's just my opinion)...

ExSuSEusr
November 18th, 2009, 02:52 AM
If you want to learn some C you don't need this. I even think it will do more harm than good (but that's just my opinion)...

Thanks but that doesn't really tell me anything.

whoop
November 18th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks but that doesn't really tell me anything.

I agree, sorry about that.. If you are using ubuntu I would suggest just using Gedit and gcc (for now). When you get comfortable with C you will know enough to determin what IDE you wish to use (if any).

Visual Studio 6 is probably still usable (you can still compile with it, so it's not obsolete), but ask yourself why you would want to use it. In any case it will "hide" or "automate" processes for you, which are important to know about when you are learning C (imo), furthermore there is a chance it will be more catered to windows (but maybe you want that).

If you are looking for a free alternative to VS6 you could give anjuta a shot, it's in the repos...

phrostbyte
November 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
For C/C++ it is a pretty decent IDE (arguably better then the newer versions). It wouldn't be my first choice as a Linux user however. :p It's not viable for VB.net development IIRC VS6 predates .NET entirely.

phrostbyte
November 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
This (apt:geany) is a good Linux IDE for learning C. IMO of course. Don't forget your compiler (apt:build-essential).

ExSuSEusr
November 18th, 2009, 03:15 AM
OK thanks you two... good info!!