PDA

View Full Version : Anyone given up on Karmic and gone back to Jaunty?

slumbergod
November 17th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Somethings I really like about Karmic but I just keep encountering annoying bugs and frustrations and I am now considering finding the time to go back to Jaunty.

The most annoying bug for me is with my wireless office network. Reception is flakey but with Karmic if I want to reconnect the only thing that works is rebooting the machine!!! Under Jaunty it was actually very good. (I use wicd because I never liked network-manager).

Then there is the issue of file associations resetting after almost every boot (I just can't make .cbz and .cbr stay with Evince...and .deb keep going back to file-roller!). Setting as default seems to be nothing more than a temporary affair.

I am trying to like Karmic but almost everyday I encounter something else that doesn't work and now the humour of it is wearing thin.

ezsit
November 18th, 2009, 01:41 AM
+1

I have Kubuntu 9.04 humming along just perfectly and will not consider upgrading until 10.04 is released. This is the first Ubuntu release I will totally skip. 9.04 is solid and there is nothing I need from 9.10, why bother?!?

Eagles18
November 18th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I don't think I'll ever go back.I have many reasons for that,but the main one is that suspension works flawlessly on it, unlike on 9.04.

Puzzled Guy
November 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I'm not gonna upgrade for two reasons
1. I just got Jaunty
2. In a compatibility list it said upgrading is not yet recommended for the computer I have (which is how I got Jaunty in the first place!)
3. After all the trouble I had to get Jaunty up and running, I don't think I'll want to do it all over again.

slumbergod
November 18th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Hehehe Jaunty was a dog for me too...that is why I was so eager to get rid of it when Karmic came out. I'd read so many reviews that made Karmic sound like the best Ubuntu yet!

I don't think I will go back to Jaunty but I spend some time today looking at what light weight alternative distros there are. None grab my attention yet.

overdrank
November 18th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Moved to The Community Cafe

Regenweald
November 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I went forward to Lucid.

supermelon928
November 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I just got Jaunty last week, and I don't plan on getting Karmic until Lucid comes out.

FuturePilot
November 18th, 2009, 03:34 AM
+1

I have Kubuntu 9.04 humming along just perfectly and will not consider upgrading until 10.04 is released. This is the first Ubuntu release I will totally skip. 9.04 is solid and there is nothing I need from 9.10, why bother?!?

Hey me too. Every Ubuntu release has worked great for me except Karmic. I'll be skipping it, Jaunty works great for me.

The Funkbomb
November 18th, 2009, 03:40 AM
There is nothing wrong with sticking to Jaunty. That's why it's still supported and will be for some time. Apparently 18 months so that's what, October 2010?

I don't know why you're expecting the upgrade to 10.04 to be better than your upgrade to 9.10.

I also have to ask, what were your problems? Did you really try to resolve the issues you were having? Did you file bug reports?

Sealbhach
November 18th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I'm considering going back to Jaunty because my USB Skypephone no longer works in Karmic.

AllRadioisDead
November 18th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I'm moving to Fedora 12.

FuturePilot
November 18th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I also have to ask, what were your problems?
See here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/460126) among other things. I have a pretty long list, but that is the most annoying for me. And all of my issues are things that work perfectly in Jaunty but are broken in Karmic.

Did you really try to resolve the issues you were having?
Yes, and I'm still trying.

Did you file bug reports?
See above.

Kingsley
November 18th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I'm giving up on Karmic and going back to Fedora or at least forward to Fedora 12 next week. Kubuntu isn't necessarily bad, but it kinda bothers me that Firefox can't remain open for 2+ hours without Flash going inactive. The same problem has been occurring since Gutsy. I also wish it was easier to download the latest .deb packages for newly released software.

It was nice to see Ubuntu's implementation of KDE4 for the first time. Next, I'll see how Fedora matches up.

The Funkbomb
November 18th, 2009, 03:55 AM
See here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/460126) among other things. I have a pretty long list, but that is the most annoying for me. And all of my issues are things that work perfectly in Jaunty but are broken in Karmic.

Yes, and I'm still trying.

See above.

Well, good on you for trying. :) I assume this is some sort of e-sata to USB device? Do you know anyone with an e-sata port on their computer?

FuturePilot
November 18th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Well, good on you for trying. :) I assume this is some sort of e-sata to USB device? Do you know anyone with an e-sata port on their computer?

It appears to be just a standard SATA hard drive with a funky SATA to USB adapter attached and the problem seems to be with the adapter itself.

Frak
November 18th, 2009, 04:20 AM
+1

Yep

Ubuntu releases are usually somewhat stable, but this one, just wow.