PDA

View Full Version : Chrome OS showoff on thursday

orlox
November 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I just read this:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=27473

Has anyone else heard about this? I haven't found much more info than this...

phrizek
November 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Exciting. I can't wait.

arnab_das
November 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM
google has the worst privacy records! i always try to stay away from google products (though thats difficult...very! :) )

i wouldnt use an OS by google even if they paid me for it! after all it would be filled with google apps which would send every detail of my personal life to google servers.

orlox
November 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM
google has the worst privacy records! i always try to stay away from google products (though thats difficult...very! :) )

i wouldnt use an OS by google even if they paid me for it! after all it would be filled with google apps which would send every detail of my personal life to google servers.

Since it will be open source, I don't think you will be installing a malware OS. I for myself don't get all paranoid about little things like when firefox sends data to google to fill the bar when you type, and if google can include interesting features that require some feedback (in the form of data uploading), I'll probably trust it.

Also, I just found this other website talking about the same thing:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/13/AR2009111300759.html

They talk in there that chrome OS might suffer serious hardware incompatibily issues (though I don't know how much trust can be put in that statement...). The only issues I can see, would be by them building a replacement to X and needing to rewrite drivers for graphic cards...everything else from my wifi card, to my proccessor should have no problems if they use a recent linux kernel...

openuniverse
November 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM

mivo
November 17th, 2009, 11:59 PM
it's another thing when google tracks how long you spend on each page, with tons of everything else. they creep me out. people should consider that in a few years, google may know more about them than they do.

This site here, the Ubuntu forums, use Google Analytics, so Google does track what you do on here. Google ;) it for some privacy information and what data it collects. I have blocked google-analytics.com quite some time ago already. I always wondered why Canonical uses it, though.

blur xc
November 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM
unfortunately one thing that free software cannot do is prevent people from creating a service that uses google too much. i mean, in general this is a good thing, you don't want software forcing you to use (or not use) any website, but google's privacy record does suck, and they amass tons of data which most people respond to with "so?"

i mean it's bad enough that by using google books (or any other service) people can create a list of the books you read. there are ways around that, too. it's another thing when google tracks how long you spend on each page, with tons of everything else. they creep me out. people should consider that in a few years, google may know more about them than they do.

How different is that, other than maybe easier, than buying a physical book at Barnes and Noble and paying w/ a credit card? Can't they already find out what books you are reading? Same deal w/ all the grocery store "club" or "discount" cards. Not that there's a discount for using the card, just the opposite, there's a hefty price increase if you don't.

Also, I block Google Analytics too- and a couple of others... uh- doubleclick.net? and any script with the word "tracker" in its name...

BM

Sealbhach
November 18th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Also, I block Google Analytics too- and a couple of others... uh- doubleclick.net? and any script with the word "tracker" in its name...

BM

The NoScript add-on in Firefox takes care of that for me.

pwnst*r
November 18th, 2009, 12:42 AM
omg tinfoil hat!

jeyaganesh
November 18th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Do we need any invitation to get Chrome OS? I think it will be in beta version for few months :lolflag:

squilookle
November 18th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Can't see myself using Chrome OS, but I'm still very curious and interested to see how its going to work.

I have no problems using an OS from Google, I'm a very happy Android user: but I can't see myself using anything but a traditional Linux distribution on my main PC's.

gnomeuser
November 18th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Personally I am looking forward to giving it a spin on my netbook, just to see what they have been up to.

aysiu
November 18th, 2009, 01:33 AM
google has the worst privacy records! Actually, its privacy record is better than AOL, MSN, and Yahoo!

More details here:
Privacy on the internet doesn’t exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-doesnt-exist/)

Frak
November 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM
omg tinfoil hat!
Armed.

Sealbhach
November 18th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Personally I am looking forward to giving it a spin on my netbook, just to see what they have been up to.

From the sounds of things, there won't be much to see or do for another few months at least.

phrostbyte
November 18th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I hope it's true. There has been a lot more misinformation then information about Google Chrome OS, and IMO Google is at fault on that for being so hush hush for so long.

Regenweald
November 18th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I hope it's true. There has been a lot more misinformation then information about Google Chrome OS, and IMO Google is at fault on that for being so hush hush for so long.

I don't think it's their 'fault' per say. When we have an acceptable release, we'll release it. I see no problem. What was somewhat annoying was the 16 billion blogs and articles with 'facts' on chrome OS that was basically regurgitation of the original announcement. Talk about attention needy.

A fine example is the quote in the article in the OP. Nothing but opinion and personal speculation.
Of no consequence to me.

Tipped OuT
November 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
No screen shots? Aw, puey. -_-

phrostbyte
November 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I don't think it's their 'fault' per say. When we have an acceptable release, we'll release it. I see no problem. What was somewhat annoying was the 16 billion blogs and articles with 'facts' on chrome OS that was basically regurgitation of the original announcement. Talk about attention needy.

A fine example is the quote in the article in the OP. Nothing but opinion and personal speculation.
Of no consequence to me.

Google has an almost Apple like aura, if they announce something there will be tons of speculation and BS around the 'net.

They should have pulled a Google Chrome with Google Chrome OS, announce and release at the same time. IMO

Regenweald
November 18th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Google has an almost Apple like aura, if they announce something there will be tons of speculation and BS around the 'net.

They should have pulled a Google Chrome with Google Chrome OS, announce and release at the same time. IMO

Now that would have shook the internet :P but no, we have to read predictions for months on end....well not me, I started ignoring a while back, I get that when google wants no leaks, there are none.

But honestly, I don't really care about chrome OS, if it is heavily net dependent I have no use for it, but i do have some serious use for the drivers that may come to the linux world as a result of Chrome OS :P

dragos240
November 18th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I would REALLY like to see some screen shots.

Regenweald
November 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I would REALLY like to see some screen shots.

Maybe friday ;) we'll see....

MasterNetra
November 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Well either way lets not club the OS until final release eh?

HappinessNow
November 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I just read this:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=27473

Has anyone else heard about this? I haven't found much more info than this...interesting.

PhoHammer
November 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
omg tinfoil hat!

It always is like this when Chrome OS is mentioned. I didn't know this many people
hated Google...

Here's another view on the Thursday event: Google hosting a Chrome OS event Thursday (http://bit.ly/2dnCmD)

openuniverse
November 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM