PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu, how does it measure up?

sawick61
November 17th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Just a little topic for discussion. I am fairly new to linux and Ubuntu is the only platform that I've really experienced. So, what is the biggest difference between Ubuntu and an enterprise version of Linux like for example, CentOS. My take on the whole thing is that at the heart of it all Linux versions seem the same but by default come with different packages and applications compiled with them. Is this assessment about correct?

juancarlospaco
November 17th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I dont feel CentOS more "enterprise" than Ubuntu Server or Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud.
:)

koenn
November 18th, 2009, 12:27 AM
My take on the whole thing is that at the heart of it all Linux versions seem the same but by default come with different packages and applications compiled with them. Is this assessment about correct? [/FONT]
yep, that's more or less correct.
there are, or may be, some additional differences, eg kernel versions, compile options for both kernel and apps, modules for peripheral hardware support, some additional distro-specific work e.g. in integration between apps/ desktop/ ... or in package management, and often (especially for servers) optimizations for specific hardware or specific tasks. But it mostly comes from all the same upstream sources.

CentOS is a community offshoot of Red Hat. For "Enterprise versions", people mostly think Red Hat or Suse (SLES).