PDA

View Full Version : Anyone worried about google chrome/chromium privacy?

arnab_das
November 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
have heard loads about chrome/chromium sending all typed links in the address bar to google servers alongwith personal id! :( anyone else know of this issue?

also, this post in some blog is really scary! http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/google-chrome-privacy-worse-than-you-think/

joey-elijah
November 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Can this be made recurring? I swear i see a scaremongering post on Chrome privacy pop-up more often than my pop-tarts at breakfast >_<

CharmyBee
November 18th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I swear i see a scaremongering post on Chrome privacy pop-up more often than my pop-tarts at breakfast >_<

Yeah this kind of paranoia is nothing compared to their surroundings regardless of any browser. Stab your DNS server!

Irihapeti
November 18th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Protect your privacy. Stay off the internet.

Frak
November 18th, 2009, 01:47 AM
True that.

samjh
November 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I'm on Chromium at the moment, and am not worried. The location bar suggestion feature and all that stuff is turned off in my options dialog. Yes, the software will still send some information to Google, but is it significantly worse than privacy issues created when using any other Google service? I don't think so.

pwnst*r
November 18th, 2009, 04:20 AM

^this

Regenweald
November 18th, 2009, 04:57 AM
It would be exceedingly dumb, to base an OS on debian of all things, then try to sneak **** in there. They have great engineers, but so does the rest of the foss world. Know how google gets your info ? They make killer products, give them away for free, and have you send your info to them. It's all in their privacy statement. read it.

MasterNetra
November 18th, 2009, 05:09 AM

+1

Not worried

alphaniner
November 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM
know how google gets your info ? They make killer products, give them away for free, and have you send your info to them. It's all in their privacy statement. Read it.

+1

JDShu
November 18th, 2009, 07:23 AM

nice :P

Bezmotivnik
November 18th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Would never consider using a Google browser unless there was a comprehensive opt-out for all datamining functions.

There may be, I dunno.

Frak
November 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Would never consider using a Google browser unless there was a comprehensive opt-out for all datamining functions.

There may be, I dunno.
Considering it's Open Source...

Bezmotivnik
November 18th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Considering it's Open Source...
Maybe in that case there'll eventually be lots of nice privacy plugins.

There already are for Firefox. Why mess with Google?

HappinessNow
November 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM
No worries here, people who are worried should simply never use the internet (as previously pointed out)

Giant Speck
November 18th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Absolutely not worried.

If Google really wanted to do malicious things with your private, personal information, then why would they make their browser open-source and give you the option to disable most of their privacy-grey features?

Bezmotivnik
November 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
No worries here, people who are worried should simply never use the internet (as previously pointed out)
Very unintelligent and uninformed response, no matter how many people make it, however.

Bezmotivnik
November 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM
If Google really wanted to do malicious things with your private, personal information, then why would they make their browser open-source and give you the option to disable most of their privacy-grey features?
In the (relatively distant) past, Google has given instructions on how to opt-out of their datamining and other "privacy-gray" features. If they continue to do that, fine.

Google's behavior with the information that they have mined has not been without serious controversy, particularly in view of their relationships with governments I consider reprehensible (including my own). They are not alone in this, of course.

In my eyes, monkeywrenching datamining is a moral duty, to the extent it's relatively easy to do.

Still, I see no need for this browser, at least not now. Get back to me when it's fully developed, full-featured and nuisance-free. I'm not a process-oriented personality, so new software just seems to me like hassle, not fun.

Frak
November 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Still, I see no need for this browser, at least not now. Get back to me when it's fully developed, full-featured and nuisance-free. I'm not a process-oriented personality, so new software just seems to me like hassle, not fun.

Stable enough that Google is using a subset of it to replace IE's rendering engine.

As for Chrome itself, developers love it. I love it. Anything that renders in Safari, will render the same way in Google Chrome, will render the same way in IE using Chrome-Frame.

Firefox? To me, bloated, heavy, slow, and unnecessarily complicated (code wise) compared to the likes of Chrome and anything else using Webkit.

rifak
November 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM
i have no concerns for privacy in chromium because its open source and i trust that the rest of the community will keep it in check if something goes awry...the beauty of open source

AggravatedGestalt
November 4th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Considering the history of Chrome (RLZ identifier, time-stamping, etc), I remain concerned despite the "open source". Saying "I unconditionally trust that the open source community will protect me" is sweet, and I sympathize, but there are only so many things they can handle too. With things like LSO's (.macromedia) and other unique identifiers lurking in seldom discussed and obscure locations, it may be wise to trust no browser at all.

I do not understand why Chromium does not offer an option to change the default search engine, which is set to google.com. Perhaps this can be altered through the source, but the option in the Chromium interface offers an option only to an additional search engine, while google remains the unalterable default. Not exactly an epic problem, but I dislike google (see: www.scroogle.org (http://www.scroogle.org)) enough to prefer their absence wherever I can manage.

I would also like to know if Chromium updates itself automatically. I doubt it, and surely hope it doesn't.

I will say this with certainty, which is that it is becoming nearly impossible for anyone to have significant browsing anonymity without learning quite a few things first. Even with above average knowledge, it is still difficult.

Clearly Chromium is stated to be different than Chrome, and without the personal invasions of Chrome. But I only know of the stated differences, and not necessarily the actual differences, which would require an understanding of the code.

A time-stamp (browser installation log) could alone, uniquely identify a user quite effectively. How many people could possibly have the same installation date/time with the same text, preferences, cookies to gmail accounts, etc?

Spice Weasel
November 4th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Chromium = safe.
Chrome = risky.

3Miro
November 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I don't trust the FOSS community to protect me. I trust the FOSS people to protect themselves.

I have used Chrome briefly, but for Chromium you can change the default search engine to whatever you wish and it doesn't auto-update itself. Chromium updates via the Ubuntu repositories like everything else in Ubuntu.

I don't see how Chromium poses any more of a risk than any other browser.