PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 - Change default regional settings

bascar
November 17th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Is there any way to change the default regional settings (English-US) in Ubuntu 9.10? I just can't seem to find the option in Gnome...

I'd only like to change the way the date&time is displayed in Evolution and other programs, I don't want to change the UI language for Gnome or any other program.

hellmet
November 18th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Not quite sure I understand what you want, but try
System>Admin>Language.

What's wrong with the current way date&time is displayed?

nolodude
November 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Good luck trying to find it. Maybe in Gnome you can't change regional settings at all?

@hellmet: in Evolution Mail, the date & time is currently displayed as "11/11/2009 09:34:17 PM" in the message header. In message list, the same date uses 24H time format (?!?). On the other hand, the date in my desktop panel reads "Mon Nov 23, 20:45".

Now I want every date anywhere in the OS to be in dd.mm.yyyy or yyyy-mm-dd format, and always 24H for the time.

philprett
December 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I have been searching for this setting for ages.

I can't believe that this is not possible.

And, the problem with the date in the current format is that it is wrong. I am located in Germany and the time format is dd.mm.yyyy and not mm.dd.yyyy.

Is there no way to change this?

leorolla
December 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
In KDE its is simple like that...

:(

GeertVc
April 5th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I have been searching for this setting for ages.

I can't believe that this is not possible.

And, the problem with the date in the current format is that it is wrong. I am located in Germany and the time format is dd.mm.yyyy and not mm.dd.yyyy.

Is there no way to change this?

This maybe?

Select "System | Administration | Time and Date"
Click the key (Click to make changes) and give your password
In the Time and Date Settings dialogue box, select the Time zone. You will see a world map with small dots. Try to locate your region (don't shake too much... :-) )
You can also change the Configuration from Manual to Keep synchronized with Internet servers
If you select the latter one, chances are that NTP is not installed; the program will propose you to install this. After installation of NTP, you should choose a time server (eg the one in Mainz, Germany)

This way, since you select your time zone, the way the date is represented, should adhere to your wishes.

Best rgds,
--Geert

leorolla
April 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
This maybe?

Select "System | Administration | Time and Date"

Click the key (Click to make changes) and give your password

In the Time and Date Settings dialogue box, select the Time zone. You will see a world map with small dots. Try to locate your region (don't shake too much... :-) )

You can also change the Configuration from Manual to Keep synchronized with Internet servers

If you select the latter one, chances are that NTP is not installed; the program will propose you to install this. After installation of NTP, you should choose a time server (eg the one in Mainz, Germany)

This way, since you select your time zone, the way the date is represented, should adhere to your wishes.

Best rgds,
--Geert

Your physical location has nothing to do with how you display numbers, dates etc.

lidex
April 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Try playing around in "System>Administration>Language Support" on the "Text" tab. Click the "Apply System-Wide" button to set.

leorolla
April 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM
What we want is to change the output of

$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=
$
More precisely, we want the LC_TIME variable to change value.

This is not easy with Gnome.

Atilana
April 7th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Good luck trying to find it. Maybe in Gnome you can't change regional settings at all?

lidex
April 7th, 2010, 10:23 PM
What we want is to change the output of

$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=
$
More precisely, we want the LC_TIME variable to change value.

This is not easy with Gnome.

See this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1416944

kenkaku
April 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I actually didn't find this that difficult. I followed this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=193916
It worked like a charm for everything except the [expletive deleted] Clock applet. :-/

GeertVc
June 20th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Your physical location has nothing to do with how you display numbers, dates etc.
Is it... Strange it's working for me then...

leorolla
June 21st, 2010, 09:34 AM
That is very very strange. I will try my best to reproduce that, but I don't think I can.

So, just bo be sure.
You open "Time and Date", change the "Time Zone" entry, and Nothing Else.
And just after this, your programs like evolution, openoffice etc will change the format for displaying time and date.
Really?!

If this is exactly what happens in your computer, you should even file a bug, because being in New York, London or Rome right now should never ever change the way you have configured date to be displayed.