PDA

View Full Version : linux video editors just as good as the windows ones?

northwestuntu
November 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM
been thinking about making a windows partition just for doing video editing. does linux stack up well against windows video editors?

HappyFeet
November 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Have you tried Kdenlive?

Excedio
November 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Have you tried OpenShot (http://www.openshotvideo.com/)?

northwestuntu
November 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM
tried the kdenlive not the openshot though

Excedio
November 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Give it a try. Wont hurt. :-)

jpeddicord
November 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM
PiTiVi is making progress, though it is nowhere near as advanced as some of the other editors out there.

And believe it or not, Blender can be used as a video editor as well. Takes some learning to get used to, but it does the job nicely.

NightwishFan
November 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM
For basic editing, the new Pitivi is really cool. It is not advanced though. I assume, however, it will get very good soon. It improved a great deal in the last year.

I like Kdenlive, but Pitivi handles everything I need.

sudoer541
November 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
been thinking about making a windows partition just for doing video editing. does linux stack up well against windows video editors?
openshot is so far the best video editor for Linux and its being rapidly developed. very stable and easy to use. it has good features and there is more to come.

sudoer541
November 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
PiTiVi is making progress, though it is nowhere near as advanced as some of the other editors out there.

And believe it or not, Blender can be used as a video editor as well. Takes some learning to get used to, but it does the job nicely.

hey jpeddicord
I love your avatar! I am a huge Mario fan!

lisati
November 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM

I've round these forums for a while and still keep Windows round so I can use the editing software I've paid good moeny for.

Once I've finished one project that I'm currently meant to working on (not really looking forward to it: several hours worth of footage from three different cameras, some in 16:9 and some in 4:3, I've barely scratched the surface) I might revisit some of the Linux-friendly software suggested in this thread.

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Can OpenShot capture video over Firewire? Or is it better to use something else to do that (dvgrab? Kino? etc.)

That's one of my annoyances with PiTiVi and such. Other than Kino I think KDEnlive can capture over Firewire.

Perfect Storm
November 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM
kdenlive is great. I use it myself a lot.

You can get th latest here: http://kdenlive.org/user-manual/downloading-and-installing-kdenlive/pre-compiled-packages/ubuntu-packages

northwestuntu
November 18th, 2009, 04:54 AM
doesn't seem to be a clear top editor. guess time to start doing some installs :p

Bungo Pony
November 18th, 2009, 05:00 AM
OpenMovieEditor is the only one I've had decent success with. Kdenlive enjoys messing up the video during the rendering process. Pitivi & Kino don't do what I want them to do.

The Funkbomb
November 18th, 2009, 05:01 AM
kdenlive is great. I use it myself a lot.

You can get th latest here: http://kdenlive.org/user-manual/downloading-and-installing-kdenlive/pre-compiled-packages/ubuntu-packages

Thanks, just added the PPA and installed the newest version. Hopefully it won't crash anymore.

SunnyRabbiera
November 18th, 2009, 05:02 AM
OpenMovieEditor is the only one I've had decent success with. Kdenlive enjoys messing up the video during the rendering process. Pitivi & Kino don't do what I want them to do.

Yews but Kdenlive is shaping up to be top class, the biggest issue I have is that it crashes... a lot.
But its getting better.

Irihapeti
November 18th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I had good results with Open Movie Editor as well. Sadly, development seems to have stopped and the forum is a target for spam.