PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Karmic upgrade

typos1
November 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Since upgrading to Karmic, I ve had problems logging on.

I get to the log on page, enter my password and after I hit enter the ubuntu screen comes up for a while then a blank screen then...the ubuntu screen comes up and it goes to the log on page and I enter my password, then blank screen, ubuntu screen, enter password etc etc etc.

All the while the fan doing its best to imitate a jet aircraft constantly powering up and powering down its engines. After 20 minutes of this going and putting it into hibernate or suspend or restarting several times, it will eventually let me in. Then the fan does it jet engine constantly at full throttle impression, whilst system monitor shows both cpus constantly at full usage.

In system monitor the gnome-panel entries (about 8 of em) are all running. I cancel them all and that eventually shuts up the fan and the cpu returns to normal running. This happened for 3 days, but there was an update after 4 days and all seemed to be well.

But today it happened again-after half an hour trying to log on, I finally get access, but stopping the gnome-panels removed the bottom panel and it wont come back even if I restart the process. I cant get into bookmarks, edit, view etc in Firefox and the fan and cpu keep cutting in and out every couple of seconds, but all I m doing is using Firefox. And I cant left click either...Help!