PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing packages offline

rabidityfactor
November 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hi
A lot of my friends are NOT switching to Ubuntu because they do not have an Internet connection and so cannot install the codecs and other application packages. So I was thinking of a downloading some of the packages and give it to them. But the problem is :-
1.Getting all the dependency packages: How can I get all the necessary packages?
2.Installing them in the correct order: Even if I manage to get all the packages, how do I make it install in the correct order, satisfying the dependencies?

Can anyone help me find a solution for this, please?

I know I could just customise ubuntu with UCK, but that is not what I'm looking for..
Regards and hopefull thanks..

aysiu
November 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
APTonCD or Keryx can help you out.

By the way, Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and comes with proprietary codecs preinstalled.

rabidityfactor
November 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thankyou

Bartender
November 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I've been dinking with Linux for four years now with dial-up at home, and access to broadband at work, friends' houses, etc. Have tried aptonCD, Keryx, and Mint.
aptonCD is easy, but it bound up apt-get after the second update.
Keryx is more difficult to set up, and it also twisted apt-get into a knot after a few attempts to install new updates.

The Keryx developer is promising a much-improved Keryx in the next few months. My fingers are crossed.

Until then, Mint might be the easiest and most functional choice.