November 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'll try it.

Frak
November 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
If the hat fits...
...wear it in public and pronounce "I feeeeel soooo FAAABBUUULOOOOUUUSSS!"

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I've been watching the counter. Will be installing this over F11 when I get home tonight.

Ric_NYC
November 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM
...wear it in public and pronounce "I feeeeel soooo FAAABBUUULOOOOUUUSSS!"

Maybe it is more than that...

Fabulastic

Something so phenomenal that neither fabulous or fantastic would suffice to describe it.

Simian Man
November 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I have been running it since Beta and it is the first time using a Fedora pre-release that I encountered no bugs at all. I was actually a little disappointed :).

Seriously this is a great time to check out Fedora as the even releases tend to be more stable than the odd ones. For example Fedora didn't include grub2 even when Ubuntu did. Pulseaudio also is better under F12 than any other release of any distro I've tried.

This is also the first Fedora release to feature an LXDE spin and offer the Moblin desktop.

Highly recommended :).

NoaHall
November 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'm going to update my Fedora soon, the beta of 12 didn't play well with my computer.

coolbrook
November 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
if you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!".

maflynn
November 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Not sure if too many people here are interested but it appears to be a very solid update.

NoaHall
November 17th, 2009, 05:42 PM
..... Just one thread bellow the top - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329374

rb0171610
November 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Not sure if too many people here are interested but it appears to be a very solid update.
I am sure it will be just a slow, bogged down, and boring as their previous releases. I'll pass, thanks.

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I am sure it will be just a slow, bogged down, and boring as their previous releases. I'll pass, thanks.

Thanks for participating. Please stop by again.

rb0171610
November 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for participating. Please stop by again.
Oh, you are so welcome.

MisfitI38
November 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Agreed. Always innovating, those Fedora fellas...

steeleyuk
November 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Maybe you should take a look at some of the benchmarks on Phoronix to see how Fedora actually compares to other distro's...

rb0171610
November 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Maybe you should take a look at some of the benchmarks on Phoronix to see how Fedora actually compares to other distro's...
Maybe I am happy with my current setup and do not need to download and install Fedora 12. I have been following the progress. I am not interested. If you are interested, great. Not everyone will be or should be. After all, this is the Ubuntu forum, not Fedora.

Simian Man
November 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM

You don't want "slow, bogged down, and boring" and you use Ubuntu? Mmmkay.

rb0171610
November 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
You don't want "slow, bogged down, and boring" and you use Ubuntu? Mmmkay.
I use Archlinux.

steeleyuk
November 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Edit: never mind. Post has been edited.

MisfitI38
November 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I have been running it since Beta and it is the first time using a Fedora pre-release that I encountered no bugs at all. I was actually a little disappointed :).

Seriously this is a great time to check out Fedora as the even releases tend to be more stable than the odd ones. For example Fedora didn't include grub2 even when Ubuntu did. Pulseaudio also is better under F12 than any other release of any distro I've tried.

This is also the first Fedora release to feature an LXDE spin and offer the Moblin desktop.

That's good to hear.
I have a few small problems with Fedora, but overall, I have always found it to be a good distro and aimed at a more bleeding edge, 'tinkerers' crowd.
High quality and innovative, for sure.

Excedio
November 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Maybe I am happy with my current setup...

Then why post in this thread?

rb0171610
November 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Then why post in this thread?
Why not?

Muppeteer
November 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I use Archlinux.

Big deal, i use Arch too and will probably give Fedora a try. I guess it's guys like you who give us a bad rep around here :?

Excedio
November 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Why not?

Well, judging by your previous posting it's pretty obvious that you're not interested in Fedora 12. I am pretty sure that the creator of the thread intended for the thread to be of some use to people who are interested in Fedora 12.

rb0171610
November 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Big deal, i use Arch too and will probably give Fedora a try. I guess it's guys like you who give us a bad rep around here :?
Listen, I just said I was not interested. I was replying to the original OP. I am not a fan of Fedora. I do not think it is a crime to not be interested. Everyone is free to have an opinion. Why everyone here is upset, I do not know and do not care. Grow up and get over it. The OP is making an announcement, expressing interest; I am expressing disinterest. Attacking me is not going to make me feel bad for not enjoying Fedora. It is not for me. Thanks.

zagz
November 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM

:D Once people download and try it all your preconceptions will vanish.

Muppeteer
November 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Listen, I just said I was not interested. I was replying to the original OP. I am not a fan of Fedora. I do not think it is a crime to not be interested. Everyone is free to have an opinion. Why everyone here is upset, I do not know and do not care. Grow up and get over it. The OP is making an announcement, expressing interest; I am expressing disinterest. Attacking me is not going to make me feel bad for not enjoying Fedora. It is not for me. Thanks.

Well nobody seems to care about your disinterest.

rb0171610
November 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Well, judging by your previous posting it's pretty obvious that you're not interested in Fedora 12. I am pretty sure that the creator of the thread intended for the thread to be of some use to people who are interested in Fedora 12.
I have a right to express disinterest, I do not see how that is hurting anyone. I do not care to try it. I have not enjoyed their previous releases. That is my opinion, yours may differ. If so, great. It makes no difference to me. :)

rb0171610
November 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Well nobody seems to care about your disinterest.
Obviously they do, that is the only thing anyone in here seems to want to post about.

UKBB
November 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Maybe I am happy with my current setup and do not need to download and install Fedora 12. I have been following the progress. I am not interested. If you are interested, great. Not everyone will be or should be. After all, this is the Ubuntu forum, not Fedora.

If you are not interested why are you posting on this thread?

rb0171610
November 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
:D Once people download and try it all your preconceptions will vanish.
No, mine will not. However, theirs might. :)

Muppeteer
November 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Sounds more like you're crying out for attention. Or an opportunity to act elitist because you use Arch, (queue speeding away on bike, kicking dirt.jpg)..

cascade9
November 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Suddenly, I have this strange urge to d/l fedora 12. I'm not sure why, maybe its because some people are so disinterested in it that they feel the need to say so 10 times in 30 minutes? :mrgreen:

Or maybe its a cunning plan to make everybody try fedora? Either way, those poor mad hatters need some love.

*hugs a fedora dev*

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have a right to express disinterest, I do not see how that is hurting anyone. I do not care to try it. I have not enjoyed their previous releases. That is my opinion, yours may differ. If so, great. It makes no difference to me. :)

If you post your disinterest in the way you chose to do (ie. bashing) then expect people to disagree with you, and express it. Guess what? They have a right to disagree with you, just as much as you have the right not to like something.

Also, I use Arch as well, and I also like Fedora (I use it on my laptop), and I don't feel the need to complain about how "slow" other distros are.

Simian Man
November 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Except that you aren't disinterested. If you were, you wouldn't have clicked on the thread or filled it with useless posts explaining your "disinterest". You must have some kind of agenda, whether it be talking down another distro or make yourself appear elite I don't know.

Excedio
November 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Personally, I have no interest in trying Fedora 12 either. I didn't post my disinterest because I know that this thread is intended for those who are interested. Honestly, if how you voiced your disinterest were not so harsh/confrontational, it's very likely no one in here would have said anything at all about your reply in the thread.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it. We cannot hear how you intended for this to mean, we are merely going by the words that you type.

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM

Awesome stuff. I'm really stoked to download and install this release tonight. The Moblin desktop sounds cool, but I think I'm just gonna stick with the GNOME version as before. I'm glad they didn't include grub2, because I was a little unsure about that. I do find it interesting that Ubuntu shipped Grub 2 before Fedora, though.

I've been contemplating switching my desktop over to Fedora as well.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Bringing this thread back up to replace the one that has been hijacked and is now off topic.

I look forward to giving it a shot. I thought 11 was pretty good. So hopefully 12 is a big improvement.

Simian Man
November 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
The Moblin desktop sound cool, but I think I'm just gonna stick with the GNOME version as before. I'm glad they didn't include grub2, because I was a little unsure about that. I do find it interesting that Ubuntu shipped Grub 2 before Fedora, though.
Yeah Moblin is kind of neat, but I wouldn't use it either.

I think Ubuntu pushed grub2 because they didn't want to be stuck with grub-legacy for their LTS, but wanted also didn't want to switch to grub2 for the LTS without giving it a bit more testing first.

I've been contemplating switching my desktop over to Fedora as well.

That's funny because once I upgrade my laptop from F10 to F12, I'll probably install Arch on my desktop again :).

jaxxstorm
November 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM

You have every right to be "disinterested" - you express your "disinterest" by not opening the thread marked "Fedora 12 is out"

You're confusing disinterested with being a complete and utter bellend (read: douche in the US). You're also making a pre conceived and frankly incorrect statement about Fedora which has no basis in fact (that its bloated)

Also, you don't need to tell us you use Arch, we already guessed. Only Arch seem to be able to act as elitist as you've come across nowadays.

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM
That's funny because once I upgrade my laptop from F10 to F12, I'll probably install Arch on my desktop again :).

Haha, they're certainly both excellent distros. I'm probably going to keep using both of them, the more I think about it, because they both sort of make up for something I'm looking for in the other, if you know what I mean. Probably the best combination of distros for someone like me who likes using the latest and greatest, as well as tinkering from time to time.

jaxxstorm
November 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah Moblin is kind of neat, but I wouldn't use it either.

I like the idea of Moblin, but if they're going to get all social network on us, they should at least include facebook support.

HappyFeet
November 17th, 2009, 06:50 PM
well nobody seems to care about your disinterest.

+1

HappyFeet
November 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Which one are people going to be trying, KDE or Gnome? I'm going to try the KDE for starters.

~sHyLoCk~
November 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I have troubles with their kmod drivers. I never liked them. Fedora is ok if you wish to have a bleeding edge setup, trying out everything first. Not what I want as it breaks my system often, even the fedora kernel upgrades! The kmod driver version mismatches and you have to wait several days before the new version comes out. Oh well, happy with suse now. I'll surely be checking it out though.

EDIT: Does anyone use akmod? Does it really work? It didn't for me in F11. Maybe I did it wrong, and also read it's not recommended? ANy news on this?

toupeiro
November 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
No, mine will not. However, theirs might. :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/3092392079_ba3abdd187.jpg

LoloftheRings
November 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM
What about the ATI improvements? Finally 3d support out of the box with open source drivers?

YeOK
November 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I have troubles with their kmod drivers. I never liked them. Fedora is ok if you wish to have a bleeding edge setup, trying out everything first. Not what I want as it breaks my system often, even the fedora kernel upgrades! The kmod driver version mismatches and you have to wait several days before the new version comes out. Oh well, happy with suse now. I'll surely be checking it out though.

EDIT: Does anyone use akmod? Does it really work? It didn't for me in F11. Maybe I did it wrong, and also read it's not recommended? ANy news on this?

akmods work fine, I've never had an issue with them.

I've been running Fedora 12 now for about 2 weeks. Very stable release for Fedora, I found the install from Live CD very fast. Pulse Audio seems stable, no sound issues to report, even vlc seems to play nice with it.

The only problem I had; a possible patent issue (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=534160) with apple and Gnome-Do / Docky means the latest version of Fedora 12's Gnome-do has Docky missing, you have to use the earlier release if you want Docky. (gnome-do.0.8.2-3.fc12 or 'yum downgrade gnome-do')

~sHyLoCk~
November 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM
YeOK

Thanks.

LinuxCritic (http://linuxcritic.com/stories/35-Fedora-12-Review-an d-Commentary.html)

Why don't they ever talk about KDE version? :( Is it the same deal as kubuntu? :P As they have a separate download zone "kde fans go here", I'm guessing Gnome is the only DE they are more interested in. I have observed a distro can only pay more attention to a particular DE and make it better than the other ones. Like ubuntu and Fedora -> gnome, Mandriva, SuSe -> KDE

bonfire89
November 17th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Fedora as far as I know sticks to open source more so than Ubuntu... But where Ubuntu dose stick to open source circumventing that is easy with restricted drivers and ubuntu-restricted-extras.

Is it just as easy in Fedora to run restricted drivers and non open source software?

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Fedora as far as I know sticks to open source more so than Ubuntu... But where Ubuntu dose stick to open source circumventing that is easy with restricted drivers and ubuntu-restricted-extras.

Is it just as easy in Fedora to run restricted drivers and non open source software?

It's not difficult, but it's not as convenient as Ubuntu. Restricted drivers and codecs are not included in Fedora. You have to add the rpmfusion repo (http://rpmfusion.org/) to get them.

Flash isn't included either, but you can use the rpms from adbobe. See how here (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash).

cascade9
November 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Which one are people going to be trying, KDE or Gnome? I'm going to try the KDE for starters.

KDE for me, gnome has never done much for me. Currently on Xfce, and yeah, I know. Fedora might be an easy way to have a look at KDE 4.3.x, since I've never been that impressed with kubuntu.

Simian Man
November 17th, 2009, 08:12 PM
It's possible that a mirror would have an updated kernel before updated versions of the kernel drivers you need. That happened to me back when Livna was the restricted repo of choice. Since RPM Fusion took over, it hasn't happened to me though.

I haven't installed them in a while, but they should work. You can also install both the kmod and akmod in which case the akmod will build you a new kernel module on boot up should the kmod be out of date with your kernel version.

The only problem I had; a possible patent issue with apple and Gnome-Do / Docky means the latest version of Fedora 12's Gnome-do has Docky missing, you have to use the earlier release if you want Docky. (gnome-do.0.8.2-3.fc12 or 'yum downgrade gnome-do')
That sucks, I hadn't realized that.

Why don't they ever talk about KDE version? :( Is it the same deal as kubuntu? :P As they have a separate download zone "kde fans go here", I'm guessing Gnome is the only DE they are more interested in. I have observed a distro can only pay more attention to a particular DE and make it better than the other ones. Like ubuntu and Fedora -> gnome, Mandriva, SuSe -> KDE

Yeah the KDE version doesn't get the same polish. Fedora develop a lot of apps that rely on GTK+ (NetworkManager, Packagekit, system-config*) and the KDE versions are either a bit less refined or non-existent. Using KDE on Fedora means you will have to put up with a few Gnome-based apps (though GTK-Qt makes this more bearable).

At least Fedora doesn't relegate KDE to a "Kedora" distro that nobody uses </joke>.

HappyFeet
November 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Fedora might be an easy way to have a look at KDE 4.3.x, since I've never been that impressed with kubuntu.
Actually, I have not been impressed with anyone's version of KDE4. Hopefully fedora's will be good. If not, I am giving up any hope for kde.

cascade9
November 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Same here, I havent been inmpressed with anyones KDE4.x version so far, but I'm not giving up yet. Even if fedora fails there, then I might have to just swallow my distaste over the name and try mandriva.

Heck, even if _that_ fails I'll just tell myself I know people who didnt like KDE 3.x till 3.5 got out. I'll just try it again in 18 months-3 years...right before they decide that KDE 5 needs working on LOL

HappyFeet
November 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Same here, I havent been inmpressed with anyones KDE4.x version so far, but I'm not giving up yet. Even if fedora fails there, then I might have to just swallow my distaste over the name and try mandriva.

Heck, even if _that_ fails I'll just tell myself I know people who didnt like KDE 3.x till 3.5 got out. I'll just try it again in 18 months-3 years...right before they decide that KDE 5 needs working on LOL

Yeah, they'll probably get it right, right before kde5 comes out. Oh well. I'm happy with gnome, so it doesn't matter to me much anyway.

Roasted
November 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, they'll probably get it right, right before kde5 comes out. Oh well. I'm happy with gnome, so it doesn't matter to me much anyway.

^

:guitar:

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I'll probably give this a try at some point. It's a little harder setting up compiz on Fedora (not too hard, you just have to install a bunch of additional packages). I've been using compiz quite a bit lately. Some say it is just for eye candy but some of that eye candy actually improves productivity. Expose for example (sorry too lazy to get the proper vowel).

Fedora 11 was great and it was what I used until Karmic came out. I'm anxious to try 12, but not anxious to download a full dvd with my 1.5mbs download speed.

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm anxious to try 12, but not anxious to download a full dvd with my 1.5mbs download speed.

Download the 700MB live cd then.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Download the 700MB live cd then.
Yeah, I might try that. I really like the dvd installer, it gives you so many options of what to install/not install. I just don't like downloading the dvd :)

HappyFeet
November 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I just tried the KDE 64bit version. WOW. Can you say broken? Half the apps won't even open. The cursor just sits there and bounces. I might try the gnome version next. I'm just glad ubuntu works flawless for me.

mivo
November 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Maybe I am happy with my current setup and do not need to download and install Fedora 12. I have been following the progress. I am not interested. If you are interested, great. Not everyone will be or should be.

You seem interested if you repeatedly post to this thread. I wish new Ubuntu users weren't so close-minded. Do we soak up most of the former Windows users?

bonfire89
November 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
It's not difficult, but it's not as convenient as Ubuntu. Restricted drivers and codecs are not included in Fedora. You have to add the rpmfusion repo (http://rpmfusion.org/) to get them.

Flash isn't included either, but you can use the rpms from adbobe. See how here (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash).

cool, thanks! I think I'll have to check it out!

~sHyLoCk~
November 18th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Yeah the KDE version doesn't get the same polish. Fedora develop a lot of apps that rely on GTK+ (NetworkManager, Packagekit, system-config*) and the KDE versions are either a bit less refined or non-existent. Using KDE on Fedora means you will have to put up with a few Gnome-based apps (though GTK-Qt makes this more bearable).

At least Fedora doesn't relegate KDE to a "Kedora" distro that nobody uses </joke>.

Thanks for the explanation.Makes sense why it didn't work for me in F11. Things were really broken.

openSUSE 11.2 has done the best job with KDE. Try it and see. Atleast it made me dump Arch KDE and use it.

jsmidt
November 18th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I just tried the KDE 64bit version. WOW. Can you say broken? Half the apps won't even open. The cursor just sits there and bounces. I might try the gnome version next. I'm just glad ubuntu works flawless for me.

I installed the 32 bit version and so far it is running very well. I see little improvements all over.

Even the non-interested guy who is infatuated with this thread may enjoy it. (If he cares to try. :))

Simian Man
November 18th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I just found out that the official Nvidia drivers do not work with the version of X.org shipped with F12 yet. I have been happy with the Nouveau drivers so far, but if you need 3D, hold off on F12 for now :).

kevCast
November 18th, 2009, 06:08 AM
openSUSE 11.2 has done the best job with KDE. Try it and see. Atleast it made me dump Arch KDE and use it.

I was so pumped for openSUSE 11.2. The installer failed to set up my encrypted LVM, so I had to bail. I'm now using Fedora 12, and it's amazing.

HappyFeet
November 18th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I'm running 64bit gnome right now, and have to say it's pretty damn nice. It auto configured my dual screens for twinview. How sweet is that? My Hauppauge tv card is good to go also. So far everything is working perfectly. Seems very stable but yet cutting edge. I'm thoroughly impressed. Great job, Redhat/Fedora team!

I'm probably going to keep this install for a while and see how it goes. It actually feels a tad quicker than ubuntu, but not by much.

AdamWill
November 18th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Nice to see people interested in the release!

As others have mentioned, the Fedora project proper doesn't support, supply or handily point you to proprietary software, but most of the common bits are available from the unaffiliated RPM Fusion repository.

On akmods - they work fine for me, as far as a sensible definition of 'work' goes. That is, they're just like DKMS source packages, they're not magic - if the code won't actually build against the kernel version you're running, they're not going to help. But if the code will build they work well, and nicely cover the case where Fedora's released a new kernel but RPM Fusion hasn't released pre-built kmod packages for it yet, which is what they're meant for. I used to use the NVIDIA proprietary driver kmod but don't any more, but I still use the one for the rt2860 wireless driver.

The NVIDIA proprietary driver indeed can work with Fedora 12 (Simian Man, rejoice), I don't think RPM Fusion quite have it worked out to be flawless yet, though. The main issue is you need to stop the 'nouveau' kernel module (for the open source nouveau driver) loading in order to make the NVIDIA proprietary driver work, and that's slightly tricky as it really really wants to load to give you happy graphical booting goodness. The RPM Fusion NVIDIA package takes care of blacklisting the nouveau module, which shuts off one possible path by which it can get loaded, but you may also need to add the 'nomodeset' kernel parameter to shut off another before NVIDIA will work cleanly. RPM Fusion will probably figure out a way around this in the near future, but it's worth being aware of for now. It has definitely been reported to work once you tame the nouveau module, there's no fundamental X.org incompatibility. I do believe the AMD/ATI proprietary driver can't work with F12's X.org yet, though. (F12 uses X.org server 1.7.1, Ubuntu 9.10 stuck with 1.6, so there's a behaviour difference there).

glad to see people interested in checking out the new release, do poke me if you have any questions :)

AdamWill
November 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM
btw, I must say I'm amused by the Arch user who can't resist posting to a Fedora thread on the Ubuntu forums to explain how little he cares about Fedora ;)

YeOK
November 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I just found out that the official Nvidia drivers do not work with the version of X.org shipped with F12 yet. I have been happy with the Nouveau drivers so far, but if you need 3D, hold off on F12 for now :).

I'm using the Nvidia driver now, I Have been since RC1. You have to, like AdamWill said, stop the nouveau driver starting up. You will find a good guide over on FedoraForum (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752).

Zlatan
November 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
post deleted, nvm

cascade9
November 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Fun. :| Thats a pity, but thanks for the info, I might give fedora 12 a miss for the time being.

Yeah, I've heard that a lot. Last time I tried OpenSUSE I found it to be a painful experience. I might try it, but honestly, I'm more likely to give mandriva go. I'll keep it in mind though, but for the moment I'm pretty happy with Xfce.

I would have stuck with KDE 3.5, but since KDE 4 is out I figured that a lot of what I would learn would be pretty useless once I move over to 4.x, and I would guess that KDE 3.x isnt going to last that much longer....

RiceMonster
November 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Installed the 32 bit GNOME version on my laptop last night, and it's working great so far. I'm as satisfied with this release as I was with 11.

MonoDeem
November 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm disappointed! Fedora 12 released with no NVidia support ..

RiceMonster
November 18th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Read the last few posts.

Simian Man
November 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
The NVIDIA proprietary driver indeed can work with Fedora 12 (Simian Man, rejoice), I don't think RPM Fusion quite have it worked out to be flawless yet, though. The main issue is you need to stop the 'nouveau' kernel module (for the open source nouveau driver) loading in order to make the NVIDIA proprietary driver work, and that's slightly tricky as it really really wants to load to give you happy graphical booting goodness.

I'm using the Nvidia driver now, I Have been since RC1. You have to, like AdamWill said, stop the nouveau driver starting up. You will find a good guide over on FedoraForum (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752).

My bad, I saw it wasn't in RPM Fusion, and did a quick search that suggested it wasn't working yet. I should have done more research, thanks.

It does, I was wrong. See the posts above :).

mmix
November 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
If the hat fits...

the hat became my head.

armageddon08
November 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Wow! The F12 x86_64 live CD installs like lightning-the fastest I've had with any distro ever so far. I'm off to testing it.

MonoDeem
November 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Read the last few posts.

It does, I was wrong. See the posts above :).

Umh, yeah - apparently it's have been updated. Last week it was still marked as not supported. Will give it a try.

Arup
November 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Installed and tried it for few hours today, works good, smooth and fast. PITA to install nvidia drivers, PITA to install Skype in x64 as x32 dependencies have to be installed manually unlike in Debian where its all part of the install package. Sad to see no OO and has to be installed separately. Pulse sound issues remain as it does with Ubuntu, nothing serious though. Pacakage manager is quite improved but multimedia non free remains an issue as the codecs have to be installed and its not easy as it is in Ubuntu. If you are using Fedora the easiest way to install codecs, Java and other stuff is via this wonderful app called Easy Life at http://easylifeproject.org/

This distro is crying out for a Mint equivalent, then it would be a worthy contender for sure.

Fedora is now far more friendlier and less intimidating for a noob specially when Easy Life is installed. Its moving in the right direction. Fedora is Fedora, Ubuntu is Ubuntu, no need to compare either. Both are excellent and have their pros and cons, after all in the end, its software written by Humans who have their own pros and cons as well as priorities, infallible it isn't.

armageddon08
November 18th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the explanation.Makes sense why it didn't work for me in F11. Things were really broken.

Well, the F11 KDE worked fine for me.

+1 to that.

bonfire89
November 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
How can one make a usb install stick for fedora from ubuntu?

I tried last night with unetbootin but it produced this error

[drm:drm_mode_rmfb] *ERROR* tried to remove a fb that we didn't own

searching that error did get his on google, but there was nothing too definitive regarding what to do about it.

Thanks

Edit:

Problem solved

there is a bash script within the fedora iso named live-iso-to-disk, extract that file from the iso, put it on your desktop or w/e and then run

livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 512 /path/to/ISO /dev/USBPARTITIONNAME

seems to be working now.

MonoDeem
November 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM
All I can say is .. awesome! Installation took like 10 minutes ( if not even less - I only had the time to make a cup of coffee ) and everything runs very smooth, without any glitches or whatsoever.

jaxxstorm
November 19th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I've just seen a post on slashdot about non root users being able to install software if its signed.. What a terrible, terrible idea.

scottro
November 20th, 2009, 04:49 AM
What seems to have happened, as near as I can determine from the bug filed against it (which already has 230 plus comments), is that 2 developers decided it would be a Good Idea(TM). It got under the radar, because it only affects packagekit, the gui package installer. Most developers use yum, and so almost no one realized it.

There is going to be a meeting, either tonight or tomorrow, among some Fedora powers that be, and, judging from everything, it seems that this will be changed.

One does wonder what the reaction would have been on slashdot if Windows or Mac had made such a choice. It was, obviously, ill advised, I mean, errm, What could possibly go wrong with that?

So yes, the rumor is true, but, it wasn't a matter of everyone in Fedora sitting down and saying, Hey, what a great idea--it was more a 2 person thing, as far as I can tell, and it is almost certainly going to be changed very quickly.

Apparently the bug has gotten more votes than any other bug in history.

So, while the idea was at best, not the wisest choice ever made, it does appear as if it's going to be corrected.

AdamWill
November 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM
the decision to change the policy has already been made:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-November/msg00012.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-November/msg01445.html

bug voting in Fedora is somewhat misleading as each reporter has 100 'votes' they can allocate to bugs in any way they choose, and there's absolutely no guidelines on how this should be handled. So a bug can have 100 votes if only one person voted for it. it's a big mess and no-one actually takes any notice of the vote counts. just so ya know.

on the NVIDIA thing - I just realized I should've mentioned there's an extra-special wrinkle if you try to use the proprietary driver with KDE (just because we love you). that could've been the cause for the person (sorry, I forgot your nick) for whom KDE seemed spectacularly broken. See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs#NVIDIA-xorg-broken for more details and the workaround.

AdamWill
November 20th, 2009, 08:45 AM
scottro: "What could possibly go wrong with that?"

remind me to give you my 'Fixes Which 'Couldn't Possibly Cause Any Problems' I Have Known' talk some time. You probably want to keep me away from hard liquor while that's happening. =)

Arup
November 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM
They seemed to have taken out the nvidia driver out of their fusion repos as well for now. For those installing via ncurses nvidia installer must make sure to make the relevant grub entry and lower SE Linux policy or the system will not boot.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM
After screwing around with it a little bit today, I'm pretty sure I liked Fedora 11 better. This one just seems to have some strange quirks, no doubt due to the progressive nature of the release. Not the least of which is that the process for installing Nvidia drivers has become unnecessarily complicated.

I'm sticking to Karmic for now, but I'll still experiment with Fedora some more. It is my second favorite distro, after all.

BTW I like that Presto is default now. It's really cool.

Arup
November 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Easly Life makes it so easy to install all the goodies minus the difficult search. Fedora is cutting edge so it pays the price, if one can go around it, its a good distro and also good for the cause of FOSS. If there was no Ubuntu, there would be Fedora on my desktop.

AdamWill
November 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM
crunchy: it'll get refined. It wasn't straightforward immediately after 11 came out, either; it takes the Fusion folks a bit of time to get it straightened out and made very simple, the reason being (as you say) that a few things tend to change with each Fedora release which make the process a bit different.