PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a project topic

PartisanEntity
November 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hi all,

I am nearing the end of my web design and development course. We have been asked to select a topic to write about, something surrounding web development.

I would like to combine open source and web development, but I have not yet come up with any good topics to write about.

Anyone like to make some suggestions or ideas?

Is there any topic in web development that is connected to open source where you feel there is not enough attention?

Thank you for the help!
:)

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
What about the integration between desktops and the web in things like DropBox and UbuntuOne?

Or the growing Cloud concept and how Open Source can keep your files from being trapped in "vendor lock-in"?

Or about Mozilla's Bespin (https://bespin.mozilla.com/) project and whether or not that is going to take off.

Or the Open Source web office application (a la' Google Docs) OpenGoo (http://www.opengoo.org/) providing people a means for the "private cloud"?

Or, what will HTML 5 bring to the table in regards to open source?

PartisanEntity
November 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM
These are great ideas Dragonbite, thanks very much.

I particularly like the first idea, looking out how the lines between classic desktops and web applications are getting muddled.

Keep 'em coming! :)

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2009, 06:06 PM
The effects of cloud computing and mobile (phone) devices?

How to set up your current (Ubuntu :) ) system to be cloud-centric (IMAP to Gmail, Google Contact sync and Google Calendars into Evolution, google-docs-fs to use OpenOffice to access your Google Docs, Picasa or F-Spot with Picasa web, etc.)

Using UbuntuOne or Dropbox to backup your system onto the cloud, and how to recover from it.

(lunchtime... I'll be back :popcorn: )

alphaniner
November 17th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Maybe you could write about how different the web would be had it been designed around proprietary rather than open standards.