PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Crome article

johnboy1313
November 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/182289-1/the_future_of_linux_is_google.html

I've been reading up on chrome a lot lately, so far it looks like a mash up of osx and a linux system with some google paint on it, this article is quite interesting though

AllRadioisDead
November 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Chrome*
How can you know what it looks like? The beta hasn't been released yet.

johnboy1313
November 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM
theres a lot of screenshots out, to be honest i dont know which shots if any are legit, but there is a consistant looking theme on the majority of the screen shots.

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Interesting article.

The only problem with the Google * access via Google Chrome OS is connectivity. There needs to be more done to provide access even when not connected.

Something similar to UbuntuOne may be an answer. UbuntuOne provides a local access sync-ed with the cloud version.

I'm waiting for when Google provides client access sync-ed with the cloud version and all are accessible through client programs or web interface. Google-docs-fs is a good start.

Will the free variety remain forever? What happens when its dominant and its revenue begins to decline, will it start charging people?

Right now they have some of the best apps, but I'm hesitant to trust them further than any other company.

NoaHall
November 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM
All the screenshots of it so far are fakes. The only real ones are the ones of the *browser* which will be in the OS, which is different from the normal one.

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
All the screenshots of it so far are fakes. The only real ones are the ones of the *browser* which will be in the OS, which is different from the normal one.

I wonder if they are going to pull an Internet Explorer, or if you can remove the browser? ;)

NoaHall
November 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I wonder if they are going to pull an Internet Explorer, or if you can remove the browser? ;)

I expect, if they are going for "light, quick, web browser OS", they won't let you install anything at all, except a few limited stuff. Although, in the beta, I expect they will allow some installs.

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I expect, if they are going for "light, quick, web browser OS", they won't let you install anything at all, except a few limited stuff. Although, in the beta, I expect they will allow some installs.

MONOPOLY! MONOPOLY!

Seriously, I hope they do keep it somewhat open so you can install what browser and email client you like.

This little thing could backfire on them significantly which would take the thunder out of their release.

I want Google Chrome OS to generate a lot of marketing buzz and get a notable following because when people ask what its running (Linux) or get tired of being limited by what Google allows them they will already have broken "orbit" of Windows and will be more likely to find their way here. :)

NoaHall
November 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
MONOPOLY! MONOPOLY!

Seriously, I hope they do keep it somewhat open so you can install what browser and email client you like.

This little thing could backfire on them significantly which would take the thunder out of their release.

I want Google Chrome OS to generate a lot of marketing buzz and get a notable following because when people ask what its running (Linux) or get tired of being limited by what Google allows them they will already have broken "orbit" of Windows and will be more likely to find their way here. :)

Well, it's not really meant for hard work - just light web browsing and quick file editing :)

If it's open source, as they say, then it doesn't matter, we can just use the code, edit it to allow installing, and there we go :)

Bachstelze
November 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Google? No, thanks.

Paqman
November 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM
There needs to be more done to provide access even when not connected.

I'd be surprised if Google didn't have a small army of code monkeys battering away at Gears for just this purpose. Offline access to the Google suite of apps has been something they've been thinking about for a while.

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well, it's not really meant for hard work - just light web browsing and quick file editing :)

If it's open source, as they say, then it doesn't matter, we can just use the code, edit it to allow installing, and there we go :)

That, to a degree, depends on how Open they Open Source it.

They could do all of the development work behind closed doors, release the Google Chrome OS (GSOS) and then provide the source code. At this point the projects, such as Firefox, would have to start modifying what they need to be able to get themselves installed. Then they can package it and put it up for download/installation.

That doesn't mean if Firefox starts getting greater adoption than the included Chrome (just for example case) then Google can't change something in the code which breaks Firefox's installation and Mozilla can't do anything until they can get their hands on the source code after the next release.

OR

They could begin developing it behind closed doors but after releasing it they make the source code available while they are working on it (more than just alpha, beta, rc1.. rcn) so the projects can adapt to the operating system while it's being worked on.

I should find where I heard it, but one of the differences between Open Source and Free and Open Source (FOSS) is the when you work on a project and release the source code only when you are releasing a version then that is Open Source. If you are transparent and the source code is available during development (along with other requirements) then that is FOSS.

Sealbhach
November 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM

That's the thing. It will help break the delusion among so many people that

Operating System = Windows

and open up their minds to other possibilities.

mikewhatever
November 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I think it's rather dumb to write an article just to speculate about an OS no one has yet seen. What's the deal with that? Wait till it's out, then give your reader something substantial.
And the following passages are just hit and miss.

In this arena, all desktop Linux distributions combined comprise less than one percent of the total market--a statistic that hasn't budged in years despite great strides in both the overall quality of Linux distributions and support from major PC vendors.

What exactly do you call support? Three models from Dell and a Mini mie from HP in North America? Wow! Really inspiring. Not to mention that Linux models cost more then Windows ones with exactly the same hardware.

Chrome OS will be a cloud-based environment, depending on access to online services. Most notably Chrome OS will support Google's own services, though the early announcements have included a call for broad development of third-party Web-based apps for Chrome OS devices.
Android devices have already shown the power of this model. I personally own a Motorola Droid handset, and use Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, and other related services for most of my work. In fact, switching to Android has quickly strengthened my dependence on Google services, as it has allowed me to do more work from wherever I happen to be standing. Like most Android users I know, I'm increasingly open to the idea of a larger device that offers the same seamless support for cloud computing and lets me get more done.

I don't get it. Do you need an OS specially developed by Goggle to use Gmail. Get real, will you.

Paqman
November 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I don't get it. Do you need an OS specially developed by Goggle to use Gmail. Get real, will you.

He's not saying that. He's saying that Google have done a really good job of integrating their existing suite of web apps into Android and that doing so makes it a really good platform. As an Android user i'd agree with him 100%.

Shibblet
November 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Google? No, thanks.

What if they're main contribution to the Open Source community is a better graphic interface than X11. I thought they were designing a new Windows interface and manager.

phrizek
November 17th, 2009, 10:06 PM
While I'm excited to see Google join the party by releasing and OS, I don't see Chrome OS as ever being a complete replacement for a full-fledged desktop operating system like Ubuntu, Windows, or OS X. I see it as more of a "companion" instant-on OS like splashtop. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

phrizek
November 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM
What if they're main contribution to the Open Source community is a better graphic interface than X11. I thought they were designing a new Windows interface and manager.

It would be epic if Google creates a decent replacement for X.

mikewhatever
November 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM
He's not saying that. He's saying that Google have done a really good job of integrating their existing suite of web apps into Android and that doing so makes it a really good platform. As an Android user i'd agree with him 100%.

Well, I wasn't contesting the quality of integration, but rather the fact that a special OS is required to do it. Wouldn't it be possible to do the same with any popular distro?
I heard about a non free application suit Google sells for Android. Are Gmail and Google Docs available for free? What are the payed ones?

Paqman
November 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Wouldn't it be possible to do the same with any popular distro?

Sure. I think gOS was a bit like that.

I heard about a non free application suit Google sells for Android. Are Gmail and Google Docs available for free? What are the payed ones?

None of the Google apps have a price tag. Gmail, contacts, maps, Gtalk, calendar and YouTube all come preinstalled. You can get lots more good stuff like Listen, Places Directory and Voice Search in the Android Marketplace.

Pogeymanz
November 19th, 2009, 01:48 AM
It would be epic if Google creates a decent replacement for X.

I don't think that's what's going to happen, though. Imagine all the work that graphics hardware companies would have to do to write drivers for this new graphics system.

If anything, I hope the Google just helps out with X11, which is not as bad as people say it is. Most of the bad stuff they say about X11 was only relevant 5 or more years ago.