PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network icon showing "not connected"

dhavalbbhatt
November 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hi all,

I finally got some time to install Karmic on my desktop yesterday - I have it installed on my laptop and it is working like a charm. On my desktop, at the time of installation, all goes fine till it gets to "setting up users and passwords" at the very end (after the grub has been installed) and stalls at that step. I killed the install at that point, assuming that I would not be able to log-in, however on re-boot, I can log in and the system seems to be working just fine. However, there is one thing that is disconcerting to me right now - my network icon shows that I am not connected to the internet - however, I can connect to the internet just fine.

I am guessing, because the process stalls at "setting up users and passwords", it did not complete a few last steps. The question is, without doing a reinstall (which by the way, I did try with same results), how do I complete the last few steps? I am worried there might be other things that might not be working as a result of incomplete install.

Also, I used the alternate installation CD as against desktop installation CD. I have installed Karmic 64 bit.