PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Problem

hawaiianryan
November 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Hello Ubuntu Forum,

I searched and can't find where this problem was originally posted but I am a newbie here and with Linux OS.

I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 .iso file and checked the hash numbers and was good. I then change the boot order and run the install from the cd. I get to the language selection menu then the main menu loads. I select install and the disk spins and nothing happens. I left it for 45 min and nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

darkod
November 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
How about if you select Try ubuntu? It is better to try it first anyway to see if all hardware is working ok, especially network connection and video card.

hawaiianryan
November 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Actually that was the first thing I did try and it did the same thing.

darkod
November 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
It's a move out of desperation, but if you could try burning another CD at low speed, not more than 8x. You checked the hash of the download iso but the actual burning might be bad. Remote possibility although...

audiomick
November 17th, 2009, 08:03 PM
You could also try the Alternate CD instead of the live CD. I've read a number of times that it is a bit more robust. Don#t be afraid of it. It has no GUI, it is all text based, but it is not hard at all.

Digger[NJLP]
November 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I am also having the exact same problem.

I am trying to install to a Motion Computing Tablet PC 1300. The CD I downloaded boots to the "try ubuntu" with no problems, on a DELL Laptop D800. But when I try on the tablet and I choose "Try Unbuntu", it just goes to a black screen.
Same thing for install to HD and even check the disk.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was hoping to get it working on the tablet, but it appears that it won't support it.

audiomick
November 17th, 2009, 08:12 PM
@Digger : you should look for the Database on supported laptops in the community documentation. It might have a listing for your touchpad, either that it should work, or that it definitely doesn't.

Digger[NJLP]
November 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Welp the Motion Computing 1300 is supported according to http://tuxmobil.org/tablet_unix.html

and their is a thread on how to get different aspects of the 1300 to work, here in the Unbuntu forums

I'm dowloading the alternat install iso now. It may be an issue with the touch screen.

Digger[NJLP]
November 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Nope Alternate CD does the same thing...

Even if I choose to install a command line install.

This looks to be harder then the worth of using it on the tablet.