PDA

View Full Version : Crashplan online backup

abhiroopb
November 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I was on Lifehacker and found an article highlighting the five best online backup software. (http://lifehacker.com/5405041/five-best-online-backup-tools)

Advantages I've found with the software (I mainly use dropbox so its more of a comparison).

- It works on Windows/Mac/Linux

- It has unlimited storage for 4.50 a month. This has worked out to be the cheapest option of all the online backup services I have found. Dropbox offers 100gb for 19.99.

- Upload speeds are very fast (currently going at 4.2mbps - dropbox rarely reaches such speeds)

Disadvantages

- The installation isn't as easy dropbox as it requires the terminal (not a big problem for me but more a general observation).

- The app is a java app and unlike other services (e.g. dropbox or ubuntu one) it does not integrate with the gnome panel or other processes. I haven't even found an easy way of switching the app on at start-up and haveing it run in the background (I have contacted the support site about this). Currently it runs in an open window, instead of having an icon in the system tray.

- There is no free entry-level storage (e.g. dropbox offers 2gb for free).

Anyway this is all I have found for now (started using it since yesterday). If anyone has used this service I'd like to hear comments/reviews. I don't want to pay for a subscription until I know a bit more. They offer a free 1 month trial which I am now on.