PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a dock application?

Eagles18
November 17th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I use Cairo-dock and I'm loving it :D

FuturePilot
November 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM
No

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2009, 03:18 AM
No, don't find any real use for them. If you don't autohide them (which I don't like doing) they waste a huge amount of screen space. I don't like the way they look either.

misfitpierce
November 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I put yes but only sometimes... panels technically are more functional and practical to get things done faster etc. Docks look pretty but cannot do as much in as small a space as a panel and panels are just faster, smaller etc. Docks are nice looking though... So sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

coldReactive
November 17th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I put yes but only sometimes... panels technically are more functional and practical to get things done faster etc. Docks look pretty but cannot do as much in as small a space as a panel and panels are just faster, smaller etc. Docks are nice looking though... So sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

too bad gnome panel is being thrown out the door for gnome SHell.

I use cairo dock, I never hide it, because quite frankly, I often don't see the statusbar of firefox, unless it's to activate scripts on sites.

misfitpierce
November 17th, 2009, 03:48 AM

I use cairo dock, I never hide it, because quite frankly, I often don't see the statusbar of firefox, unless it's to activate scripts on sites.

And... to me thats even better. It will take some getting used to for a lot but it has even moooorrrreeee functionality and performance once you get into it from what I have seen on friends computer. So I think that it will offer the same performance outputs if not more.

coldReactive
November 17th, 2009, 03:55 AM
And... to me thats even better. It will take some getting used to for a lot but it has even moooorrrreeee functionality and performance once you get into it from what I have seen on friends computer. So I think that it will offer the same performance outputs if not more.

Currently, gnome shell lacks:

-- Indicator Applet for Empathy/Evolutin
-- Weather Applet for next to the time
-- global menu replacement (because global menu requires gnome panel)
-- alt+tab (See This Bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/483956))
-- default wrokspace value to start with that you can set via gconf/etc.
-- recordmydesktop causes the gnome-shell panel to be removed, causing you not to be able to stop recording (See This Bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/recordmydesktop/+bug/483325))

I've tested it myself, and ultimately went back to regular gnome.

matthew.ball
November 17th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I use AWN with a transparent theme, I only have 3 launchers/applets there; Terminal, Chromium and a File Browser Launcher, but I do have it to keep a record of what programs I have open - I thought the panel applet was a waste of space for this simple job.

AllRadioisDead
November 17th, 2009, 04:03 AM
no, don't find any real use for them. If you don't autohide them (which i don't like doing) they waste a huge amount of screen space. I don't like the way they look either.
+1

cariboo
November 17th, 2009, 04:10 AM

You do realize that the Gnome devs aren't even sure Gnome-shell will be included in Gnome 3 when it is released October 2010.

It's time to give the Gnome-shell FUD a rest for at least 6 months.

Eagles18
November 17th, 2009, 04:19 AM
We all know docks waste space, but we still use them because they look nice :D

Jesus_Valdez
November 17th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Sometimes I use Avant Window Navigator.

Tipped OuT
November 17th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Avant Window Navigator is my favorite.

Cairo Dock is the best if you have a graphics card with full OpenGL support.

sertse
November 17th, 2009, 04:41 AM
"Space wasting" isn't much of a factor if your monitor is of a decent size. Larger icons in docks I find useful because they are easier to click. There is of course the prettiness factor. :P

Though I only really use wbar, which is a shortcut launcher rather than a actual dock, but it's extremely light (no compositing required, and little if any dependancies) and much prettier than panels. ;)

dmglouis
November 17th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I'm using Cairo Dock and I love it. I used to have space reserved at the bottom edge for it, but now I've set it so that any window maximized will auto-hide it.

I find that I mostly use it as a launcher and not as a window switcher, (I use Scale in Compiz for switching), but I don't think I could see myself going without it.

As far as the original panel goes, I find it a little too bland.

Roasted
November 17th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I've used several docks lately. They each have their pros and cons.

AWN failed the test before even getting started when I had no way of being able to kick the dock to my primary monitor.

Cairo Dock is nice if you're a sucker for insane eye candy. It has a ton of customizable options. So many customizable options that I think the configure panel needs a serious overhaul. There's a lot of stuff there I feel as though is misplaced or could be aligned in a more logical manner. Even still, after a couple days of tinkering, I was able to get it to look the way I wanted. The thing about Cairo Dock that kinda bothers me is it doesn't always treat application launchers as the actual application. There's times I'll have it open and I'll launch 6 programs. Changes are, 3 programs will come up in the dock with a 2nd icon, which controls the program, while the other 3 will be able to be controlled by the primary icon that I launched them from. Kinda weird how it can be inconsistent with certain applications... sometimes it takes me a second to figure out where the icon is to right click it in order to close it.

Docky is the winner in my book. It's simple, looks good, sleek, smooth, very responsive, takes up few resources, and it just plain works. Sure, it may not have as many customizable options as Cairo, but at least the options it does have at what's the most important, in my book.

If you need your icons to rotate and spin while on fire whenever you click on them, cairo might be better for you. If you just need a dock that looks good and helps you get stuff done, I highly suggest docky.

northwestuntu
November 17th, 2009, 04:48 AM
they do look nice and lots of options, but i stopped using them because they did take a lot of screen space and having the program shortcuts on my gnome bar does the job just fine.

openuniverse
November 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM

hoppipolla
November 17th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I can never fully get on with docks... I just can't work out how to make them function. I find that, for me, they occupy a bit too much of the screen, I find them hard to get to, I never know how fully to maximize a window or...

the only way I managed to get one to work was hanging off the side of the screen in XP, I basically used it as a way to organize my shortcuts.

Maybe they're just not my thing! I am quite happy with a standard taskbar, or even the Win 7 superbar thingy-ma-jig :)

coldReactive
November 17th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Transitioned to docky for now.

starcannon
November 17th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I messed around with AWN and Cairo, but compositing and docks are just to buggy for my tastes; good old fashioned gnome with metacity is just fine for me.

Roasted
November 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I've been bouncing around a lot lately. I think between the docks, my favorite is by far Docky. But there's something about the good ole gnome taskbar that just makes sense to me.

Launch icons on the top bar, active windows on the bottom bar. Pretty simple.

V for Vincent
November 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I use docky with intellihide. What I like about docks is that they allow you to easily move from one workspace to another.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I use a slightly adjusted AWN. None of the others seem to have the right blend of functionality + cleanliness for me.

Roasted
November 17th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I use a slightly adjusted AWN. None of the others seem to have the right blend of functionality + cleanliness for me.

You running two monitors by any chance?

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 17th, 2009, 08:02 AM
You running two monitors by any chance?
Nope sorry. Are you having issues with AWN on dual monitors?

Roasted
November 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Nope sorry. Are you having issues with AWN on dual monitors?

Yep. It seems to favor my 2nd monitor instead of my primary monitor. As a result, AWN failed the test before I could even really use it. :(

SunnyRabbiera
November 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Sorta, well actually its a secondary panel in KDE 4.3 with quick launch with the icons set to 25 pixels displaying way over 6 icons at a time.
The panel itself is set on autohide.

Roasted
November 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I know you can auto-hide the Gnome panels, but is there any way to make them respond quicker?

NoaHall
November 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Yes, and I don't use any panels. It provides me with quick links to programs and takes up less space than a full panel.

Roasted
November 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM
You don't use ANY panels? No matter how nice the dock is, I'd be lost without my top panel...

What dock do you use?

Naiki Muliaina
November 17th, 2009, 09:21 AM
At the moment i am just using Docky. No top panel, no side panels, just Docky. Works quite well actually.

ElSlunko
November 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Intellihide on Docky was the clincher. Provides the function of a launcher / application manager without getting in the way. I find it useful for others who use my computer since I tend to launch things with gnome-do.

Simian Man
November 17th, 2009, 04:12 PM
No I don't use a dock. They suck when it comes to workspaces. If I switch to an empty workspace and click Firefox, I want a new Firefox window to open. So now I just use a hidden panel on the left with a bunch of launchers.

I know you can auto-hide the Gnome panels, but is there any way to make them respond quicker?

That was a problem for me as well, also the fact that havin Gnome panel on the side of the screen, even when hidden, results in applications having a few pixels gap on the side of the screen. Xfce's panel is much nicer in this regard.

koleoptero
November 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Awn is my choice. No panels, just awn.

Roasted
November 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Awn is my choice. No panels, just awn.

But again I have to ask the magic question - are you running dual monitors?

Tibuda
November 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
No, I don't use docks or panels. I have used them in the past, but now only stalonetray and conky. My windows are really maximized.

lykwydchykyn
November 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I use daisy-dock in KDE, though it's just one of many ways I have to launch programs on my desktop. Sometimes I want to click an icon, sometimes text, sometimes navigate a menu. Most of the time I just hit alt-f2 and type in what I want. Just depends on what mode I'm in.

I tried cairo-dock with openbox for a while, but the animation is just a bit over-the-top for me. Too distracting. But very impressive looking.

ratcheer
November 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
No, but I would like to.

Tim

NoaHall
November 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM

I'm running a triple monitor set up, and I use AWN only. Why?

koleoptero
November 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
No I don't.

Bachstelze
November 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Yes... on OSX.

gnomeuser
November 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I tried using docky for a while and the experience is very enjoyable (using top panel for global menu, notification area, clock and i-s-a).

Sadly one legacy application, amsn, broken the usage badly - it caused a lot of missed messages as popping up a notification or a new window seemed broken.

Outside of that Docky provided a nice looking, productive environment.

Roasted
November 18th, 2009, 07:36 PM
The one thing that has grown me to be annoyed by docks is it seems as if they aren't very consistent in how they react to opening applications.

Like, I have a dock with a bunch of icons. Okay, great. Then I open the application. Well, half of the time it adds a 2nd icon, and half of the time it doesn't. So I may have 2 icons (1 launcher, 1 open app) for the same program, or I may have 1 icon (1 launcher + 1 open app combined) for another program. I think the docks that are out there are great, but this little inconsistency is enough to make me re-think that docks aren't really that efficient.

Sure, they look cool, but when you have to 2nd guess several times to see where an application icon is to close it, it gets a little blah. With the gnome panel at the bottom, I know exactly what's open at any given time. I just feel more "in control."

But like I said, there are some solid dock options out there, and if they work for you, that's awesome. But I've just experienced enough with them to realize that they're not as efficient as some people claim.

praveesh
November 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I don't use an external dock . But , I use one of the two panels in kde as a dock . I set it to auto hide and align center.

Zoot7
November 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I tried out AWN for a while but I got sick of it pulling in updates everyday.
TBH I never really saw the point in them really. I can easily set up a panel, that to all intents and purposes will behave like a dock anyway.

Dougie187
November 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I love docky.

I just replaced it's "Summon" with Alt+F2, since I'm use to using that to run stuff. Then it just pops up and I type in what I want.

I find it significantly easier to use than going to the menu, but the menu is on my top panel just in case Docky can't find something.

I haven't messed around with the hiding too much, but i'll have to give it a shot. Makes my terminal and browser larger by quite a bit, and the intellihide seems pretty reasonable.

@Roasted: You know someone mentioned they were using AWN with triple monitors right?

Roasted
November 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM
@Roasted: You know someone mentioned they were using AWN with triple monitors right?

I didn't pick up on this. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I can't help but wonder if the triple monitor user didn't have any issues with AWN cause it just centered itself across the 3 screens - leaving it to be in the center where he probably wanted it. *shrug*

Keyper7
November 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
The one thing that has grown me to be annoyed by docks is it seems as if they aren't very consistent in how they react to opening applications.

Like, I have a dock with a bunch of icons. Okay, great. Then I open the application. Well, half of the time it adds a 2nd icon, and half of the time it doesn't. So I may have 2 icons (1 launcher, 1 open app) for the same program, or I may have 1 icon (1 launcher + 1 open app combined) for another program. I think the docks that are out there are great, but this little inconsistency is enough to make me re-think that docks aren't really that efficient.

You are describing a bug, not a behavior inherent to the definition of a dock. So concluding that "docks aren't efficient" because of this doesn't make sense.

Zimmer
November 18th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Docky, with Gnome Do... but I am hearing that will not be an option in the forthcoming incarnation of Gnome Do... sad.
Also have a Panel on the right hand side of the screen . This has proven useful for a wide screen on a laptop.

Also have Cairo Dock installed, just for fun, and for showing off the eye candy capabilities of Ubuntu.. but Docky and Gnome-Do are more useful... IMHO

V for Vincent
November 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Docky, with Gnome Do... but I am hearing that will not be an option in the forthcoming incarnation of Gnome Do... sad.

Something of a misconception, there. Docky is being separated from Gnome-Do because that makes it easier to develop both apps. Once the separate docky reaches the same degree of functionality and stability as the current, integrated version, an option will be added to integrate the two separate apps, effectively giving you what you have now, minus some bugs hopefully. Docky will not be removed from Do before this is possible.

Keyper7
November 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Docky was separated into a standalone application, but the developer already stated that the future plan is to, when the user has both Docky and Gnome-Do installed, simply click on a checkbox and have all functionality of Gnome-Do available in Docky, the way it works now.

Right now the standalone Docky is in alpha state, but be patient. :)

EDIT: damn, Vincent beat me by seconds.

Roasted
November 18th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Is there a way to configure cairo dock or docky (preferably docky) so it separates application icons and active window icons?

I think a way I'd like to have a dock set up is with quick launch icons, but then whatever active windows are up, they get moved to the far left, so I can work from the left side and treat that like my old gnome panel.

diesch
November 18th, 2009, 09:40 PM

In GConf set /apps/panel/global/enable_animations to false

Keyper7
November 18th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Is there a way to configure cairo dock or docky (preferably docky) so it separates application icons and active window icons?

I think a way I'd like to have a dock set up is with quick launch icons, but then whatever active windows are up, they get moved to the far left, so I can work from the left side and treat that like my old gnome panel.

Docky does not allow that currently, if I remember correctly.

In Cairo-Dock, go to Taskbar -> Behavior and uncheck "Mix launchers and applications". Then go to Icons -> Order of icons to ensure that applications go to the left of launchers.

Cairo-Dock also allows you to add a separator between the launcher area and the application area, if you like.

Zimmer
November 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Something of a misconception, there. Docky is being separated from Gnome-Do because that makes it easier to develop both apps. Once the separate docky reaches the same degree of functionality and stability as the current, integrated version, an option will be added to integrate the two separate apps, effectively giving you what you have now, minus some bugs hopefully. Docky will not be removed from Do before this is possible.

Thanks, glad to hear that.
Forgot to mention in original post that I have deleted the top and bottom Gnome panels, this allows a bit of extra space for browsing , utilising the space at the side for a single Gnome panel....

Praxicoide
November 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I used Gnome-do with docky for a while, till I realised I could just alt+ F2

Zimmer
November 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM
I used Gnome-do with docky for a while, till I realised I could just alt+ F2

Neat!
Not as 'pretty'.... ;)
limited to 'known' applications.. any way you know to add the system tools ?
Also, alt-F2 does not link in with the bookmarks in your browser, a feature I like in Gnome do..

the8thstar
November 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM
I use AWN trunk (unstable).

Nerd King
November 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
AWN-trunk's nice, clearly influenced by docky in parts, but docky's still king for me. That said, I'll be keeping an eye on awn-trunk. I find Docky's smooth responsiveness is a really important factor in its brilliance, it just feels weighted just right in terms of movement and mouse action. Mine's on autohide with an auto-hide top panel btw.

infestor
November 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
even though i have 22" screen i still dont want to lose a considerable amount of the screen. so i dont use it. autohide isnt just for me

RabbitWho
November 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I like them, but i've no need for one, I can fit everything i do on a regular basis onto my panel, if not i would use a dock, yes.

Roasted
November 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM
I've stuck with Docky full time now on all of my systems. The auto hide for Docky is really snappy, unlike some other docks I've tried. It does the job so I'm keeping it. Good stuff!