PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Synaptic error - cache failed, please report

roshi chris
November 17th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I was downloading and installing some stuff from Medibuntu (google earth to be specific) when the installer hung. I forced it to quit. When I tried to open synaptic afterwards it wouldn't let me, an error said that another installer was already open (apt-get or aptitute) and wouldn't let me open another. So I restarted. Now when i try to open synaptic i get the following popup:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure-a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I inserted the suggested text into a terminal and got the following:

dpkg: unknown option --configure-a

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages
;
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Type dpkg --license|--licence for copyright licence and lack of warranty (GNU GPL)

Options marked
produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or `more' !

The problem persists. I have found similar lines mentioned in other errors discussed on the forums but no solution. I am a newb to linux, straight from the ms tit so not too clued up i'm afraid!

Thanks in advance

Chris

lemming465
November 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
There was either a typo or a misinterpretation with the directions, what they were suggestiong was running:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
where the -a is a second argument to the dpkg command, separated from previous arguments by at least one space. This is fairly typical of Unix style commands. See man dpkg for the longer version; though until you learn a fair bit about debian style packages those "directions" may be a bit confusing.

Another possible repair sequence is to move one step up the packaging food chain from dpkg, and try:

sudo -i
apt-get clean # remove cached downloads
apt-get update # refresh repository lists
apt-get upgrade --fix-broken # fancier than the dpkg try

roshi chris
November 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks Lemming. I actually left the problem for a couple of days and when I tried again today it seems to have fixed itself. I know that phrase 'fixed itself' is unhelpful and probably not even possible but nevertheless for some reason the problem has gone!

So thanks anyway, the issue is now closed (though i don't think it counts as Solved)

ta