PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install with /var and /home mounted to RAID disks

madhartigan
November 17th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I'm using the server install disk for Ubuntu 9.10 and I'm installing on 5 different disks that have been wiped with zero's using Darik's Boot and Nuke QuickErase.

The five disks are the following:

1 74GB WD Raptor
2 1000GB WD Caviar
3 320GB WD Caviar
4 320GB WD Caviar
5 1000GB WD Caviar

Using the install disk, I go to the manual option for partitioning. I then create a new blank partition for all disks. I then go into the Create RAID disks option. I first create the RAID 0 disk using both 1TB disks (#2 and #5). I then create a RAID 1 disk using both 320GB disks (#3 and #4).

I then "Finish" the RAID disk part of the partitioning and go back to the main partitioning menus and now select the RAID 0 array and I tell it to use the partition as an EXT4 filesystem with /home mounted to it. Next, I select the RAID 1 array and tell the partitioner to use the partition as an EXT4 filesystem and mount /var to it.

I then create a new partition in the 74GB disk (#1) and then tell the partitioner to "Automatically partition the disk" to use it as my Linux OS disk.

When I boot into the system and type "sudo df -H" after logging in, this is what I get:

root@server1:/# df -H
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 71G 867M 66G 2% /
udev 4.2G 246k 4.2G 1% /dev
none 4.2G 0 4.2G 0% /dev/shm
none 4.2G 37k 4.2G 1% /var/run
none 4.2G 0 4.2G 0% /var/lock
none 4.2G 0 4.2G 0% /lib/init/rw

I don't know why my RAID disks are not being mounted as I designated in the install, but I would really like it to work right because it's a PITA to use the LiveCD to move /var and then modify the fstab file to mount the disks properly. The install should do it for me.

Any help with this is appreciated.

Thank you!!

b0b138
November 17th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Because after you've started the manual partitioning and made your striped set and your mirrored set, you're going back and telling it to do automatic partitioning on #1, which will undo what you just setup.

The only thing you need to do different is while you're still under manual partitioning, select #1 and mount it as /

madhartigan
November 17th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Thank you b0b138!!

About 10 minutes after I typed that thread, I thought through the sequence and had the realization of what you recommended. Hopefully this solved thread can at least assist someone who may make my same error in the future.