PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubisurfer

Boopygirl
November 17th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Hi there
I am so sorry if this question is tupid but I have been a windows gal forthe longest time and have just bought myself a ubisurfer with ubunto on it and I have no idea whatsoever as to where it even stores the programs, pictures or anything at all. Can I run any of my windows programs and games on ubunto at all? where can I get programs and games from? what the eck do I do to find anything on the my computer/ I did try to put some of my hidden objects games on and it asked me waht I wanted to use to open them but nothing on here rings a bell or even looks familiar. I really want to get to grips with ubunto if I can.
Thanks for listening to my ramblins
Betty

eagle416
November 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM
switching to open software is a big step. First thing you must not expect it to work like Windows. Think of a blackberry. it doesn't work or look like windows, and all its programs are different (even if they do similar stuff)

Assuming you have Ubuntu and not Ubuntu Netbook Remix, applications can be accessed in the upper left by default where it says "applications". That is like your start menu. Programs are categorized by purpose (office, media, games)

under "Utilities (I think)" There is something called Synaptic. This program automatically will install or remove the programs you want to get or get rid of.
You will want alternatives to all your windows programs. Openoffice is a substitute for MS Office, Firefox for Internet Explorer, GIMP for Photoshop, Kolourpaint for MSPaint, Amarok or VLC for Windows Media Player etc.

Your default document directory is your home Directory. On windows this is like C:/Documents and Settings/[yourname]/
On ubuntu it's in /home/[yourname]/
That is where your personal files go. You would normally get to browse around this in Nautilus, your file/folder viewer.

You have to understand there is no "My Computer" in Ubuntu. There is only Root ("/") From root there is /media/ which is like CD drives and memory sticks, and /home/[yourname] for personal files.

There is a program you can install called WINE. google it. Basically it can emulate windows programs (preferably simpler ones) for which there isn't a linux alternative. People have played FPSes on it, but I use it for a Gameboy Emulator. You can run .exes with WINE.

Welcome to Ubuntu, please feel free to post back with new questions.

Boopygirl
November 17th, 2009, 01:53 AM
thank you for you most prompt reply. I will have look to see which umbunto i have if I can work out where to look. you gave ma a lot of info and for that I thank you. I was totaly thrown when I coundn't find anything you are right it is nothing like windows but I will go look for the program you sugested.
thank you
Boopygirl