PDA

View Full Version : Free vs. Free

Shibblet
November 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I still am having a bit of problem understanding this. I was looking over Mandriva Free, One, and Powerpack, and not understanding the differences between Free and One.

All I can gather is that if you download Mandriva One, you have to buy the drivers. And if that's the case, why don't we have to purchase drivers for Ubuntu?

Also, what do they mean as "free as in beer" ?

Techsnap
November 17th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Nope Mandrive One just comes with proprietary drivers and some other goodies. Free comes with only opensource software.

MasterNetra
November 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Mandriva One, essentially comes with proprietary drivers and such along with the open-source while Mandriva Free only comes with the free open source. Thats at least one difference. Probably the main one.

---Beatin by seconds. lol ---

doas777
November 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
check out the Freedoms (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) (gnu.org)

the other versions have software that is "encumbered" in that it abridges at least one of the freedoms.

its free beer, but not free speach

Simian Man
November 17th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Guide to Mandriva releases:

-------------------------------------------------------|
| | One | Free | Powerpack |
|----------------------------|----------|--------------|
| Free as in Speech | | X | |
| Free as in Beer | X | X | |
-------------------------------------------------------|

Casual users should most likely download One.

gnomeuser
November 17th, 2009, 12:55 AM
One of the ways Mandriva makes money is by selling you a service, in this case the service of having unsupportable proprietay drivers being not just available but supported to an extend.

Shibblet
November 17th, 2009, 12:59 AM
So, running proprietary drivers can be "free" as in cost, but not "free" as in access to the source.

Simian Man
November 17th, 2009, 01:01 AM
So, running proprietary drivers can be "free" as in cost, but not "free" as in access to the source.

Correct sir. It's akin to installing the "restricted drivers" under Ubuntu.

doas777
November 17th, 2009, 01:02 AM
exactly. also, even with source, they may not allow you to redistribute.
that's the beauty of the GPL. it explicitly grants you all the rights you could want, as long as you pass those rights on.

Shibblet
November 17th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Correct sir. It's akin to installing the "restricted drivers" under Ubuntu.

I see. That makes a lot more sense. I was thinking in terms of drivers being free for Windows, but not Linux?

We have a hard enough time getting drivers, let alone having to buy em!

I'm marking this as solved.

Praxicoide
November 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Didn't Ubuntu offer the same thing, back when there was all the fuss about allowing instant installation of closed drivers? Gubuntu or similar?