PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] forgot to install updates before upgrading

Post Monkeh
November 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM
as per the title. as usual i stupidly fire ahead without reading any instructions. i thought that even though there were pending updates, that hitting the "upgrade" button would install everything i needed. i must have been wrong because although everything appeared to go smoothly, i now can't log in. it seems to boot fine until it starts mounting my other partitions, then it seems to have problems mounting my home & swap partitions.

it does eventually mount them, but i can't then log into my own account. luckily i do have another account i made up and i can log into it and get into my home dir, so it's not going to be a major hassle to back everything i need to up, it will be a bit of a pain.

i had a few things on my top panel. a glipper clipboard, a shortcut that opened another program which then opened thunderbird but kept it minimised to the notification area (though i'm fairly sure it didn't open automatically. also, although i was running ubuntu with the normal gnome desktop, i did have the xfce panel running for my bottom panel.
could any of this be causing my logins to fail?

Post Monkeh
November 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM
i also can't enter recovery mode, it drops me into the recovery console but it tells me it can't mount swap then goes all funny and crashes.
i am in the process of downloading an iso so i can at least fix the grub problems that are apparently there. any thoughts on if i can save myself a reinstall would be very welcome though