PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use MindMapping?

Netisan
February 19th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I think, this technique will be in interest of all not only open-sourced, but also open-minded ubuntuers.
MindMapping is a powerful graphical technique that stimulates and unlocks the potential of your brain. It uses words, images, numbers and colours to help you absorb information in a manner that makes it stick and helps you learn. However, sometimes learning is not the issue, it is the amount you remember.
MindMapping was developed in 1970s by Tonny Buzan in UK and still gains world popularity. It works, believe me.
http://www.mindgenius.com/website/presenter.aspx?type=type&ns=/products/mgmindmapping/ Mind Genius have very well explaining site, however it's related particularily to their product. Its useful to try it, as well (free trial version available)..

Leo_01
February 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
The problem with mind map is that you need time to actually do it.
:(
it is a pretty good tool actually.

TechSonic
February 19th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I think, this technique will be in interest of all not only open-sourced, but also open-minded ubuntuers.
MindMapping was developed in 1970s by Tonny Buzan in UK and still gains world popularity. It works, believe me.
http://www.mindgenius.com/website/presenter.aspx?type=type&ns=/products/mgmindmapping/ Mind Genius have very well explaining site, however it's related particularily to their product. Its useful to try it, as well (free trial version available)..

This information is irrelevant to Linux users.
Reason: Designed for Windows XP.

Netisan
February 19th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I don't think anything is irrelevant to Linux users.. For Windows XP doesn't mean ONLY for Windows XP :-D Use Wine! Externally ;)

PatrickMay16
February 19th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Don't you know? Some Linux users have Windows available to them. Like me, for example.

Virogenesis
February 19th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Actually I think you'll find that mindmapping is a techique rather than a program.
Mindmaps do help when programming I hated using them when at college but I've just done a search and a number of mindmapping software is available.

Freemind
VYM
Kdissert

Another program which is good is dia very much like Visio.

SuperDiscoMachine V.5.7-3
February 19th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Why? Don't they have a mind?

Ehm, mindmapping is a technique, not a program and though the program the OP mentioned might only be for windows there are several good mindmapping tools for linux, as someone else already mentioned.

That said, kdissert rules imho. (Though I haven't really tried freemind for quite some time, so I can't really compare them).

proalan
May 25th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I've been trying to find some decent software either for linux or windows on mind mapping. With dia/visio I just end up with UML, object, class diagrams, the mind set i'm trying to avoid in the first place. It works well for making software but it doesn't help with generating creative ideas, maybe I just need practice and go back to basics using pencil and paper.

Tomboy notes is a good sticky note app but it doesn't link the notes together, linking is the core aspect of mind mapping. (I'm thinking about the C++ linker as i typed that sentance, I need to free my mind from thinking like a programmer)

Tundro Walker
May 25th, 2007, 09:11 AM
1) This sounds like spam

2) Learning is easier if you...

a) associate it to something you like (EG: you can't stand programming, but you like getting your computer to do stuff for you...hence, you have an interest in learning to program)

b) associate what you learn to mental models already created (EG: in learning the biological parts of a cell, you can associate the mental model to that of a small town, making it easier to reinforce what you learn...the more you link mental models together, the easier they're reinforced and retained.)

c) focus on how you like to learn / organize things. Different people categorize and store knowledge in different ways...that's why two different people can have two different views on something. Even if information is presented to you in one fashion, go through it and "translate" it into a fashion that is understandable for you. This helps you learn it by making you comprehend it in the short-term, so you can reinterpret it in a way that makes sense to you, and then that short-term reorganization helps dump into your long-term easier.

d) practice pro-active quitting...IE: if you find yourself overwhelmed at times, then proactively quit certain things in order to free up mental space for what's important. This is useful for physical activity, too. EG: if you're having to take training classes at work, it's probably not a good time to pick up a new book to read. You'll be dividing your learning attention between 2 things...and learning your work is probably more important. Likewise, if you're currently spending time on a hobby or such, you may want to lay off for a bit so you free up mental resources to focus on learning.

e) clean your environment. I'm not talking about water purification and such. I'm focusing just on the basic act of "spring cleaning". Go through all your old crap and throw out things that are no longer needed. Everything you own ties up mental space...we all keep a mental inventory of stuff we have. By tossing things out, you free up that space. It's therapeutic, too, since it's gives you the feeling of "cleaning the slate". Same can be said for old knowledge...if you don't need it anymore, then just let your brain forget it. Stop keeping old crap around that reminds you of stuff you'll never use anymore. If you want to go to extremes on this, you can go so far as to toss out old photos and stuff. (Might want to be careful on this...some folks feel that a person is only as interesting as the stuff in their house. If someone comes over and sees nothing but an empty house with a bed in the bedroom and a computer on a desk...well, they'll probably assume you're lead a very empty existence. However, if all your knowledge and memory artifact is based on virtual things...like computer work you've done, then so be it.)

f) this may sound contradictory to "d", but if you have a "to-do" list, then do it. Get things done that you've been putting off. This free's up that mental space from having to "remember" to do it. Likewise, stop forcing yourself to memorize petty things that you could write down. Make a grocery list instead of trying to memorize one. Much like pocket change, all the petty memorization adds up, and it's just wasted brain space that could be used for something more important.

Chilli Bob
May 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Actually there are similar programs in the Repos if you look.

(Personally my brain isn't at all compatible with this sort of thing; these maps are meaningless to me. I use outlining software to make sense of stuff.)

Bigbluecat
May 25th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I use mindmaps a lot. Almost every day. It is a very useful technique for planning a task or document. First learned about the technique in the late 80's.

I use Freemind (probably the best program out there). It is free and open source.

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

pixelstuff
May 25th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I was very excited about mindmapping when I first heard of it. It seemed to be a perfect thing for a 3D thinker and visual artist. Strange that no mindmap that I ever started ended up useful. Also the process of making it never helped with a thing. They never made me come up with a new thing. My theory is that mindmaps are more useful for people who tend to start and stick with details and who need a technique to see the whole picture of the project. I am one of those who always see the skeleton and whole thing first and mindmaps don't really help with the details - simple todo lists for the subproblems are much better (drawing all the clouds and branches seems a waste of time if they are already in your head)

Anthem
May 25th, 2007, 01:34 PM
You don't need software... mind mapping works best with a sheet of paper.

bdig
June 3rd, 2007, 07:52 AM
I can't imagine trying to do my eng degree without mind mapping!
I expect there's a lot of people who don't find it particularly useful, or find it hard to adopt, but if you're naturally a visual thinker the change from linear notes to mind mapping is amazing!

I'm still messing around with the mind mapping software available under Ubuntu, don't have a preference yet.

kenthomson799
June 3rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
I am a visual person. (know it from a NLP book i read)
Mind Map was made out to be a really good way to "think", so i got that book from Tony Buzan about mindmaps and followed it. Much of it is silly suff which you can think yourself. But when you are handling complex tasks, the distribution of items on the page (if you are drawing a mind-map) and the fact that if you expose one sub-category more you may need more space whereas the rest of the paper is empty is simply disturbing. In my first attempt i seriously pursued it and made mindmaps on big chart papers with sketch-pens and colours and all the creativity. I made around 20-25 of them, and than at the time of examination i simply thought that it was a big waste of time. It really didn't work, had i read my text-book in the time i spent making mind-maps i would have faired far, FAR better. But if you really gotta use it better get a computer based software as doing it on a paper leads to a lot of space problems (either you have too much of it or too little of it) and those space problems are a constant impediment to your thinking.
That's a personal opinion from someone who had devoted significant time to learn/use mindmaps. I simply think that when we read a linear text document our brain automatically forms a mind-map and some of the hazy details in the corner (of the virtual mind-map in one's brain) can be made more clear by reading it again after say 1-2 days. And that's it, no need to engage in such unproductive exercise, you already have your connections/associations in your brain. When thinking/note-taking i find it convenient to use a hybrid of linear note-taking and mind-maps, so as to avoid the space-organisation problems already described

jessejazza
June 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I love mind maps but there is only one program eMindMaps that produces try mindmaps. this was replaced by Mindmanager which got bloated and heavy. Anyone like to program a simpler version? here's an example. I've used freemind and not as good.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/jessejazza/NotesSample.gif

jessejazza
June 28th, 2007, 09:53 PM
If there was enough interest i was wondering if MindJet would be prepared to release the source code for the older eMindMaps product. It is quite a simple program i'd think as it is so small.

Anyone well connected?

paullinux
June 28th, 2007, 10:20 PM
There is a small program called Mymind but only works on OSX I believe... It creates mindmaps like the one above. Here's the link (http://www.sebastian-krauss.de/software/)

jessejazza
July 4th, 2007, 03:44 PM
had a look at that link but it doesn't seem to be available. It seemed it was for Mac - would it be able to run on a Linux machine.

gusjones
July 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
mind maps have always worked for me, but then I don't tend to follow the rules exactly. More bubbles and text, with very few diagrams. However, it is great to be able to see a page of text as a 'landscape' and it works well for my sense of recall, because pages of notes become familiar and distinctive, like places I've been to before.

wersdaluv
July 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Use FreeMind.

I used Mind Mapping, but now, I write most of my ideas on KDE's BasKet Notepads.

KhaaL
November 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I know this is an old thread, but... Freemind dosen't cut it for me - the nodes aren't free enough to move, they only grow horizontally... I want to build them freely like kdissert.

kdissert on the other hand only allow nodes with a tiny amount of text.

Urgh, why can't we have the best of two worlds? :(

tregeagle
December 8th, 2009, 11:43 PM
You don't need software... mind mapping works best with a sheet of paper.
I tend to agree, although am trying out MindMap out of interest. My partner is trying to catch up on three years of advanced Latin and has been finding (paper-based) mind-mapping invaluable for cramming the info into her head.

mehaga
December 9th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I tend to agree, although am trying out MindMap out of interest. My partner is trying to catch up on three years of advanced Latin and has been finding (paper-based) mind-mapping invaluable for cramming the info into her head.

m8, this must be the craziest thread resurrection ever :D
you joined 4 years ago, currently have 12 beans and you replied to a 2 year old thread :D :popcorn:

Firestem4
December 9th, 2009, 04:25 AM
FreeMind works GREAT! It is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. I've used it recently with the help of a friend to brainstorm and organize the details for a game we are working on. That was the first time I put a real effort into trying to use it, but I also found out how valuable and useful the tool really is. Without this, trying to organize the thoughts like we did would have been a cluster**** on paper/txt.

+1 for FreeMind =)

toupeiro
December 9th, 2009, 07:26 AM
VERY happy freemind user here. I've used it for everything from wedding planning to load balancing diagrams.

hambone79
January 15th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I'm also a very happy Freemind user and have been a mind mapper since I was in college (6+ years ago). I use it quite a bit at work to brain storm ideas. In fact, I got all of my colleagues using it after we used it for a group brainstorming session and I showed them that I could enter data faster than they could write it on a white board. Now everyone is using it to capture all of their ideas and my boss is even using it as a way to make sure he doesn't miss anything in his TO DO list.

boxcorner
October 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I realise this is an old thread, however in case someone like me arrives here without having discovered XMind, I thought it might be worth pointing it out.

I was unable to find XMind via Synaptic Package Manager, however a Debian/Ubuntu version is available for download here: http://www.xmind.net/downloads/

The file size is 36.9MB and the simple installation ran smoothly for me. The version I have installed is 3.2.0

First impressions: it looks similar to MindGenius for Windows.

Updated: Monday 11 October 2010
I received an e-mail from xmind.net inviting me to pay a subscription to upgrade to the [Pro] version. There is a note at the bottom of the e-mail saying, "To unsubscribe this newsletter, sign in to your account, uncheck the 'Send news' box besides your email address in the 'Settings' page."

XMind imports: FreeMind 0.8/0/9, Marker Package. MindManager 5/6/7/8/9 and XMind 2008 Workbook.
XMind exports: FreeMind, HTML, Image, Marker Package, Mindjet MindManager Map [Pro], PDF (Map) [Pro], PDF Document [Pro]. RTF File (Word Compatible) [Pro], Text and XMind 2008 Workbook