PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome won't run at startup.

Ordinary12
November 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hey Guys:

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 and when I restarted the laptop I noticed a different looking login screen than the default one that was there before. I picked my name and entered the password and Ubuntu started running the OS as normal but when it finished it didn't bring up Gnome. All I see is a black screen with a small command line terminal in the top left corner of the screen. I installed the newest Gnome desktop but when I restart the laptop I keep getting the command line terminal. Does anyone have any ideas?

themusicalduck
November 16th, 2009, 08:10 PM
First try typing in this command:

startx

and see what comes up.

Also might be worth trying this:

sudo gdm

and see what comes up and type any messages here.

Ordinary12
November 16th, 2009, 09:01 PM
When I type startx I get the following message:

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.

When I type sudo gdm I get the following message:

**(gdm-binary:2819): WARNING **: Failed to aquire org.gnome.DisplayManager

**(gdm-binary:2819): WARNING **: Could not aquire name; bailing out

dueland
January 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
I'm having the exact same problem, did you ever find a fix for it?

I'm also running ubuntu 9.10 with the latest nvidia driver (195.30)

kimberlite
January 22nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
When I type startx I get the following message:

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.

Try
sudo startx

dueland
January 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
I get a fatal error stating that an x-server is already running (which it is, I'm currently writing this message under the bugged system). If not any server is running, it says, I should remove /tmp/X0.lock.

dueland
January 23rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
I removed gnome-panel dependencies (the package itself wasn't installed), and then installed gnome-panel. I restarted and now it works..

ross.ackland
January 26th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Guys:

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 and when I restarted the laptop I noticed a different looking login screen than the default one that was there before. I picked my name and entered the password and Ubuntu started running the OS as normal but when it finished it didn't bring up Gnome. All I see is a black screen with a small command line terminal in the top left corner of the screen. I installed the newest Gnome desktop but when I restart the laptop I keep getting the command line terminal. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have the same behaviour, after I login I get a black screen with an xterm in the top left corner and no window manager. I can enter startxfce4 and the window manager launches, so there must be something broken in the startup process in my login scripts. I have looked in the log files Xorg.0.log and gdm/:0.log and cant see any errors.

Im just guessing, but it seems that after gdm login process something is not getting to my ~./config/autostart scripts.

Im running a standard Karmic/Mythbuntu installation. Any help on where I should be looking would be greatly appreciated.

Ordinary12
February 24th, 2010, 11:32 PM
They way I fixed everything was by removing everything related to Gnome, restarted my laptop, and re-installed Gnome from the command prompt. I didn't lose anything so I'm happy with that solution.

sudo apt-get remove gnome
sudo apt-get install gnome

engine
March 17th, 2010, 05:22 PM
The advice from Ordinary12 looked clear and understandable, which is a a plus, but I soon ran in to more problems :-{

>sudo apt-get remove gnome
:
:

Package gnome is not installed, so not removed

OK, so let's try and install it!

>sudo apt-get install gnome
:
:

Some packages could not be installed
:
gnome: Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (=1:2.22.2~4ubuntu8) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gnomle-vfs-obexftp but it is not installable
E: broken packages

Might try an apt-get on gnome-desktop-environment, but I'm not holding my breath! and any farther advice will be welcome. At least I'm not the only person who's had this strange problem ...

engine
March 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
>sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
:
gnome-desktop-environment: Depends: fast-user-switch-applet (>=2.22.0) but is not installable

So what I'm trying to install depends on something that's not installable ... I think I'll give up for today :-{