PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems with panels

Ron_
November 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Please help. I am a newbie in serious trouble.

A few weeks ago, I successfully installed 9.10 for dual-boot with Windows7. I installed /, /home, /usr, /var and swap in encrpted partitions. Since LVM2 prompts me for a password, I set Ubuntu to log me on automatically as the single user. I launch Firestarter at Startup, so it prompts me immediately for my password for sudo. All was well until today, when I made a series of changes and errors.

1) I installed the cube and various ComPizConfig add-ons and changed a few key bindings. No apparent problems so far.
2) I repositioned my bottom panel to the left, with auto-hide. This is where my problems began. It would not un-hide.
3) I added new panels on the bottom, right and a second panel at the top with auto-hide. Now my main top panel, which does display, does not work.
4) I looked around the Forums for ideas, and I came upon the suggestion to use Alt-Ctrl-F1 to get a terminal. I did this and got a black screen with a login prompt. Repeated login attempts failed. In exasperation, I hit Alt-Ctrl-Del.
5) Ubuntu hung on the brown screen at boot. I powered down and up again.
6) Ubuntu hung again in the same place. I used Alt-Ctrl-F1 successfully to get a good $ prompt, but I didn't know what to do next. I hit Alt-Ctrl-Del.
7) I tried booting Ubuntu in recovery mode, but when I selected Resume Normal Boot, I encountered all the same problems.

Please help!