PDA

View Full Version : I freakin' love Radiohead!

hoppipolla
November 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I mean what a band... WHAT a band!! you know?

Man I've loved them for years and every time I come back to them it's just as amazing!

Currently listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CX7Qzb1dj8

Truly awesome :)

Hoppi!

Muppeteer
November 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Saw them last year, i coulda swore Thom was lip syncing...He sounded just like he did on record, but he wasn't. Awesome show and an awesome band. They still haven't topped Kid A, probably never will :D

NoaHall
November 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I don't like them. What on earth are they singing about?

The Funkbomb
November 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I like some of their stuff. Creep is a great song. Some of their other songs, not so much.

Simian Man
November 16th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Meh, I always thought they were kind of boring and generic sounding.

hoppipolla
November 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Saw them last year, i coulda swore Thom was lip syncing...He sounded just like he did on record, but he wasn't. Awesome show and an awesome band. They still haven't topped Kid A, probably never will :D

hehe, In Rainbows is my favourite, followed by HTTT. But, it's a personal thang ^_^

forrestcupp
November 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM
At the risk of having my head ripped off, Creep is about the only song of theirs that I really like.

And they about ruined themselves when they let people choose their own price for In Rainbows. The FOSS community loved it, but nobody paid for it.

razorboy5
November 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
i love them too but u gotta admit they have alot of garbage songs too which is weird :S

but their good songs are just pure amazing...

Street Spirit ftw :D

koshatnik
November 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I've never understood the appeal either. I liked Pablo Honey their first album, but by OK computer they had started to believe their own hype and stopped writing songs. Nowadays they just sound like a bunch of whiney middle aged men.

Nothing wrong with that, just doesnt do it for me.

kellemes
November 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Great band, always liked them, together with Elbow and other indie/alternative/experimental/electronic-rockish bands.
Don't forget Thom Yorke's solo album The Eraser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eraser), extremely cool music.

SLEEPER_V
November 16th, 2009, 05:03 PM
IMO, radiohead has single handedly destroyed alternative music. Worst. Band. EVAR. imo.

benj1
November 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Meh, I always thought they were kind of boring and generic sounding.

what genre ????

koshatnik
November 16th, 2009, 05:14 PM
what genre ????

Take your pick. They started off sounding like Nirvana-alikes. I saw them live before they were even signed. They were like a mini-Nirvana band. As they've got older their sound has expanded a little, but to me the sound like a mix of Killing Joke, Amon Duul, Can, Siouxsie and the Banshee's, Peter Hammill, a proto-grunge band of your choice, Faust. Other random 80's electronica acts...

All bands sound like something. It doesnt matter who a band sounds like, its all personal preference at the end of the day.

benj1
November 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Take your pick. They started off sounding like Nirvana-alikes. I saw them live before they were even signed. They were like a mini-Nirvana band. As they've got older their sound has expanded a little, but to me the sound like a mix of Killing Joke, Amon Duul, Can, Siouxsie and the Banshee's, Peter Hammill, a proto-grunge band of your choice, Faust. Other random 80's electronica acts...

All bands sound like something. It doesnt matter who a band sounds like, its all personal preference at the end of the day.

exactly, they aren't exactly 'generic' sounding

RiceMonster
November 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
no, YOU'RE generic sounding!

wojox
November 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, High and Dry is one of my favorites. Great guitar and kick drum.

cascade9
November 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM
IMO, radiohead has single handedly destroyed alternative music.

I'd vote for 'nirvana' in that category.

BTW, not a fan of either nirvana or radiohead, I'm not playing favourites ;)

ve4cib
November 16th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Radiohead's not bad. Some of their stuff is decidedly better than others, but overall they're definitely better than a lot of bands out there right now.

<Shameless-Plug>
If you like Radiohead you might also like Pilot Speed (formerly known as Pilate), a Canadian band with a somewhat Radiohead-like sound.

Their first single (from a few years back):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fX3TF95as
</Shameless-Plug>

koshatnik
November 16th, 2009, 05:29 PM
exactly, they aren't exactly 'generic' sounding

Define generic? Its all about the breadth of your musical landscape.

This could go on and on and on. Argue amongst yourselves, I'm off to scratch my nuts and drink beer.

SLEEPER_V
November 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I'd vote for 'nirvana' in that category.

BTW, not a fan of either nirvana or radiohead, I'm not playing favourites ;)

I love Nirvana. Mainly because they pulled rock away from hair bands. Nirvana put an edge back on rock.

hoppipolla
November 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM
At the risk of having my head ripped off, Creep is about the only song of theirs that I really like.

And they about ruined themselves when they let people choose their own price for In Rainbows. The FOSS community loved it, but nobody paid for it.

I did!! I paid £40 for the limited edition thing! :)

Zoot7
November 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
TBH I never really liked Radiohead despite a friend of mine trying to get me into them.
Although I do admire them greatly for what they did with their "In Rainbows" album.

Zoot7
November 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I thought the word in the pipeline was that they made quite a lot off that despite doing what they did.

Well whether they did or not, my hat's off to them. Record Labels are what's wrong with Music nowadays, the more artists that bypass them the better for everybody.

The Funkbomb
November 16th, 2009, 05:41 PM
According to this site I'm reading, Radiohead made 10 million off of In Rainbows. Fans paid half of what they would have for a CD on average.

Considering they did this without a label or having to pay for CD pressings and a lot of the overhead that goes along with that, they saw a majority of the profits.

benj1
November 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Define generic? Its all about the breadth of your musical landscape.

This could go on and on and on. Argue amongst yourselves, I'm off to scratch my nuts and drink beer.

well generic is usually used as an insult for music that is boring / uncreative / doesn't bring anything to the table / sounds like a lot of other band.
although you could just strictly interpret it as music that fits nicely into a genre.

radiohead doesn't realy fit the bill imo, you yourself listed at least 5 diverse groups to compare it to.

no, YOU'RE generic sounding!

I know you are, you said you are, so what am I?
(ah how ive missed playground insults.)

Simian Man
November 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Generic was perhaps a bad word choice. I didn't mean that their sound exemplifies any one genre exactly; it doesn't. What I meant was that none of their songs that I've heard, and certainly not the one from the OP, have any real distinction or catch. In fact they seem to focus more on their sound than on songwriting, which is a trend in rock that I hate.

hoppipolla
November 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Generic was perhaps a bad word choice. I didn't mean that their sound exemplifies any one genre exactly; it doesn't. What I meant was that none of their songs that I've heard, and certainly not the one from the OP, have any real distinction or catch. In fact they seem to focus more on their sound than on songwriting, which is a trend in rock that I hate.

Funny thing is Radiohead have always been famous for their innovation and experimentation. Every single album they have released has not only exhibited at least the same degree of experimentation as the one before, but actually taken their music in new directions and often set trends that OTHER artists (such as Coldplay and Keane amongst many others) have followed.

OK Computer was pretty experimental, but Kid A and Amnesiac were just off the wall, which paved the way for the political and powerful Hail to the Thief, and the complete change of direction and blend of experimental and acoustic for In Rainbows (which actually proved to be also their most accessible album in some time).

And I also believe they did make a fair amount off In Rainbows, and besides they are one of the biggest bands in the world, I think they probably have enough money to get by for the time being whether their albums fail or succeed!

hoppipolla
November 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
One more for the record :)

http://www.last.fm/music/Radiohead/_/2%2B%252B%2B2%2B%253D%2B5?autostart

mthei
November 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I never thought they were "generic" sounding (okay, maybe Pablo Honey was), but they've always sounded like the sum of their influences, and I don't mean anything bad by that. While not my favourite band, I can certainly appreciate them and understand why people love them so much.
And yes, while they may be overrated (although that's hard to avoid, especially these days), that does not mean that they aren't the least bit talented. OK Computer is by far one of the best releases of the 1990s.

Bezmotivnik
November 16th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'm kinda like this (http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/archives/017167.html) on the subject.

hoppipolla
November 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'm kinda like this (http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/archives/017167.html) on the subject.

lol that is so random O.O

SuperSonic4
November 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Ew, Radiohead. It makes me feel like the depressed priest in Father ted

hoppipolla
November 16th, 2009, 10:12 PM

ah I don't get that either! I haven't really found Radiohead depressing since OK Computer! Possibly Kid A... but Amnesiac onwards is more experimental and weird than depressing, surely?

getaboat
November 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Kid A was the last album I waited at the record shop to come out. What a disappointment.

When they are good they are unbeatable, when they are bad they unbearable. Since OK Computer there has been too much of the latter and not enough of the former

benj1
November 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM

**** ;)

S club juniors make me feel depressed

RabbitWho
November 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM
They have some amazing songs, like Let Down, Street Spirit.. all of Kid A, etc. But for the most part they're banal and dull.
And Tom Yorke is a pretentious little shite of a man now. There are people doing far more innovative things, but he seems to think he's the be-all and end-all of art in music. Most of their music isn't even that experimental, it's just self indulgent excrement.

forrestcupp
November 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, High and Dry is one of my favorites. Great guitar and kick drum.

Def Leppard is awesome! :D

http://ticketsthere.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/def_leppard_-_high_n_dry.jpg

hoppipolla
November 17th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Kid A was the last album I waited at the record shop to come out. What a disappointment.

They have some amazing songs, like Let Down, Street Spirit.. all of Kid A, etc. But for the most part they're banal and dull.
And Tom Yorke is a pretentious little shite of a man now. There are people doing far more innovative things, but he seems to think he's the be-all and end-all of art in music. Most of their music isn't even that experimental, it's just self indulgent excrement.

I think here again we have proof how subjective this all is!

I actually personally loved Kid A, I thought it worked perfectly with Amnesiac and was just the wild experimentation they needed to produce the more fleshed out and "fuller" later albums such as Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows. But again, that's my opinion, some people consider Kid A and Amnesiac to be their best :)

Zoot7
November 17th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I concur! :lolflag:

Although that said, they do have some quite nice tracks, Paranoid Android IMO is one such example.

AlphaLexman
November 17th, 2009, 02:00 AM
My Radiohead CD's ranked:

The Bends
OK Computer
Kid A
Pablo Honey
Amnesiac
In Rainbows
Hail to the Thief

hoppipolla
November 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
My Radiohead CD's ranked:

The Bends
OK Computer
Kid A
Pablo Honey
Amnesiac
In Rainbows
Hail to the Thief

observe the difference in my rankings!

In Rainbows
Hail the the Thief
Amnesiac
Kid A
OK Computer
The Bends
Pablo Honey!

Exact reverse chronological order! how weird is that? :)

OK Computer is the only one I have trouble placing. Musically and overall I prefer Kid A and Amnesiac, but in terms of it's poetry and scale... OKC is up there with HTTT :)

AlphaLexman
November 17th, 2009, 03:03 AM
observe the difference in my rankings!

In Rainbows
Hail the the Thief
Amnesiac
Kid A
OK Computer
The Bends
Pablo Honey!

Exact reverse chronological order! how weird is that? :)

OK Computer is the only one I have trouble placing. Musically and overall I prefer Kid A and Amnesiac, but in terms of it's poetry and scale... OKC is up there with HTTT :)

Yeah, but I am probably 20 years older than you...

hoppipolla
November 17th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Yeah, but I am probably 20 years older than you...

I'm 47 :D

AlphaLexman
November 17th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Really??

I've seen pics of you on other posts and would have guessed you were in your early twentys. Quit gimping your photos, hehe.

I'm 42.

hoppipolla
November 17th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Really??

I've seen pics of you on other posts and would have guessed you were in your early twentys. Quit gimping your photos, hehe.

I'm 42.

I was joking... heh :)

I'm 24 :)

AlphaLexman
November 17th, 2009, 03:29 AM
! Busted ! ;)

hoppipolla
November 17th, 2009, 03:36 AM
! Busted ! ;)

hehehe!

Yeah, I think my maturity often struggles to hit 24 let alone 47!! :)

AlphaLexman
November 17th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Funny, my maturity tells me I'm still 32.

I first got hooked on Radiohead in 1996 with 'The Bends', the OK Computer came out and at the time I thought OKC was better, but now in retrospect I have to place my initial tastes at number 1.

Everything else after that, to me, was not as emotional on my own level.

hoppipolla
November 17th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Funny, my maturity tells me I'm still 32.

I first got hooked on Radiohead in 1996 with 'The Bends', the OK Computer came out and at the time I thought OKC was better, but now in retrospect I have to place my initial tastes at number 1.

Everything else after that, to me, was not as emotional on my own level.

yeah well... I think after that they kinda go very experimental and took things away from the raw sound of albums like The Bends. OKC was something of a middle ground I think. Amnesiac was a tad more accessible than Kid A IMO, HTTT was thick with conspiracy theories and political poetry, and In Rainbows was another remaking of themselves and the start of the third "three album cycle" as us Radiohead fans like to refer to them! :)

In Rainbows may not have the raw power of the bends, or the raw experimentation of Kid A, but I think it exhibits their increased maturity since both those albums and amazingly seems to prove that the very experimental can also be quite accessible! :)

HuaiDan
November 17th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Yaeh Radiohead. I have to agree, In Rainbows is phenomenal. If only all bands could age so gracefully.

forrestcupp
November 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM
This is what you get when you mess with us.

hoppipolla
November 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
This is what you get when you mess with us.

^_^

hoppipolla
December 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM
you... I... we... woah O.O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHeyCSM3aK4

hehe :)

Changturkey
December 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM
OK Computer still blows my mind.