PDA

View Full Version : Do you have problems with Sound Recorder?

-=hazard=-
November 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
After I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10, I'm having problems with sound recorder. I notice that the Sound Input is very low. I have reviewed all audio settings and they look fine. Playback works just fine.

dragonboss
November 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM
No problems with sound recorder for me. Actually this is the first ubuntu my internal mic and sound recorder has worked on!

Try increasing the input volume from Sound Preferences > Input. This was set low for me and had to increase it to hear what i recorded,and for skype to work.

-=hazard=-
November 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
No problems with sound recorder for me. Actually this is the first ubuntu my internal mic and sound recorder has worked on!

Try increasing the input volume from Sound Preferences > Input. This was set low for me and had to increase it to hear what i recorded,and for skype to work.

I know that but even if I increase the input volume, the input level is very low and recorded audio have an horrible quality. Same with Analog Input. Look @ the attachments.

Bungo Pony
November 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I've got a weird problem in 8.04. Every once in a while, the input goes kaput. A reboot usually fixes it. I can only guess it's my friend Pulse Audio having fun.

wulfgang
November 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Not matter what version of ubuntu I run, it has always bugged-up.

coldReactive
November 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I can't use sound recorder in the first place,

A. I don't use mics,
B. My Output cannot be recorded (only in Vista and 7.)

-=hazard=-
November 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
65 views and only 3 votes?...

coldReactive
November 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
65 views and only 3 votes?...

I can't vote, since my sound has good quality, but I can't use it in ubuntu atm.

-=hazard=-
November 16th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I can't vote, since my sound has good quality, but I can't use it in ubuntu atm.

Yes you can! lol
You have the second option
No I dont. My recorded audio have a good quality. But the answer is only for sound recording, not playback.

coldReactive
November 16th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Yes you can! lol
You have the second option
No I dont. My recorded audio have a good quality. But the answer is only for sound recording, not playback.

But I can record my playback in Windows, but not linux, how unfair is that? :|

-=hazard=-
November 16th, 2009, 11:36 PM
But I can record my playback in Windows, but not linux, how unfair is that? :|

Problem solved :) Let me make some screens and then post them here.

-=hazard=-
November 16th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I was messing up before and I found out that while recording, on Pulse Audio volume control, on recording tab, you must change the recording stream from Internal Audio Analog Stereo to Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo. Just do that and Sound Recorder will save that settings so next time you will record immediately without doing this again. Remember first you must start recording something with Sound Recorder than go on Pulse Audio volume control recording tab, to change that settings. Hope this helps.

coldReactive
November 16th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I was messing up before and I found out that while recording, on Pulse Audio volume control, on recording tab, you must change the recording stream from Internal Audio Analog Stereo to Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo. Just do that and Sound Recorder will save that settings so next time you will record immediately without doing this again. Remember first you must start recording something with Sound Recorder than go on Pulse Audio volume control recording tab, to change that settings. Hope this helps.

I don't know how to get those dialogs anymore, since karmic now makes you open "Sound Preferences." :(

starcannon
November 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I don't have problems, but I don't use Sound-Recorder, I use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/).

-=hazard=-
November 17th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I don't know how to get those dialogs anymore, since karmic now makes you open "Sound Preferences." :(

Do you have Pulse Audio Device Chooser installed?

coldReactive
November 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Do you have Pulse Audio Device Chooser installed?

How do I install it?

-=hazard=-
November 17th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I don't have problems, but I don't use Sound-Recorder, I use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/).

I think the problem is on PulseAudio Volume Control settings only on Karmic, and not the application. For example on Jaunty I didn't have this problem.

-=hazard=-
November 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM
How do I install it?

On Ubuntu Software Center. Search with "pulse", select and install PulseAudio Device Chooser. It must install the other stuff too, like Pulse Audio Volume Control, PulseAudio Manager etc.

coldReactive
November 17th, 2009, 12:23 AM
On Ubuntu Software Center. Search with "pulse", select and install PulseAudio Device Chooser. It must install the other stuff too, like Pulse Audio Volume Control, PulseAudio Manager etc.

Thanks, I guess.

Also, how do I get gtk-recordmydesktop to record audio from my output?

starcannon
November 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I think the problem is on PulseAudio Volume Control settings only on Karmic, and not the application. For example on Jaunty I didn't have this problem.
Could be, I haven't had a reason to check it out since upgrading to Karmic; guess I could do a "just because" so I can see how it pans out. Is Ubuntu Studio still using the Jack plugins?

-=hazard=-
November 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks, I guess.

Also, how do I get gtk-recordmydesktop to record audio from my output?

You just reminded me to test it and it capture only video without sound. Still I haven't figured it out. I think gtk-recordmydesktop work only with alsa, but I'm gonna search and let you know if I resolve it.
Did you resolve sound record at least?

-=hazard=-
November 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Could be, I haven't had a reason to check it out since upgrading to Karmic; guess I could do a "just because" so I can see how it pans out. Is Ubuntu Studio still using the Jack plugins?

I don't know, to be honest I have never tried Ubuntu Studio.

-=hazard=-
November 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM
coldReactive Open gtk-recordmydesktop, go to Advance then on Sound tab and instead of DEFAULT write "pulse" without quotes. Then start recording something random while playing audio, then open PulseAudio Volume Control, go on recording tab and change from Internal Audio Analog Stereo to Monitor Internal Audio Analog. Just like the audio I explained you before. Then close volume control. It must save that settings so the next time you record video+audio you don't have to do this again.

coldReactive
November 17th, 2009, 12:59 AM
coldReactive Open gtk-recordmydesktop, go to Advance then on Sound tab and instead of DEFAULT write "pulse" without quotes. Then start recording something random while playing audio, then open PulseAudio Volume Control, go on recording tab and change from Internal Audio Analog Stereo to Monitor Internal Audio Analog. Just like the audio I explained you before. Then close volume control. It must save that settings so the next time you record video+audio you don't have to do this again.

lol, thanks, it works!

-=hazard=-
November 17th, 2009, 01:36 AM
lol, thanks, it works!

U'r welcome. This was the 3 day I was figuring out how to manage it, and now I feel so much relaxed :D

dmccasland
December 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for this easy but arcane solution! Now I can record again.

premamotion
December 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Not matter what version of ubuntu I run, it has always bugged-up.

same to me! good point...

-=hazard=-
December 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM
same to me! good point...

Well is a community maintain os, what do you expect... Even winzoz that cost 500$ have bugs!
The nice thing for linux is that, comparing with other os, we are a helpful and friendly community :)

premamotion
December 31st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, there are problems with the sound recorder...

-=hazard=-
January 1st, 2010, 02:03 PM
Yes, there are problems with the sound recorder...

If you got the same problem I described on this thread, then go on post #12 and you find the solution. It's not really a big problem, but just a tricky one.