PDA

View Full Version : Because You Use Linux...

Ms_Angel_D
November 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I got into a disagreement with some family members and I was accused of hacking into their computer and disabling their Internet because I use Linux so I must know how to do these things...roflmao

1roxtar
November 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I'm kinda in the same boat. Just because I have Linux (Ubuntu) on my netbook and laptop, suddenly I'm the computer "genius" everybody comes to for tech issues. Since they don't know much about Linux and are too scared to install it on their own computers, it somehow elevated me to uber-geek amongst my friends. I have to admit, I kinda like the attention. \\:D/

XubuRoxMySox
November 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Yup! The old perception that "Linux is just for geeks" still persists. I have run into it a few times too. It's hilarious.

Distros like the 'buntu family and the other newbie-friendly ones like SimplyMepis and PCLinuxOS are helping to change that. But it looks like we still have a little ways to go yet. Even the newest kids to arrive on the computer scene have already heard and believed that old mis-perception. Turning them around (http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/non-geeky-girls-love-linux-too-_368.html) is especially satisfying, lol.

-Robin

Grenage
November 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I got into a disagreement with some family members and I was accused of hacking into their computer and disabling their Internet because I use Linux so I must know how to do these things...roflmao

They are probably right, you could be evil. I once saw a paper that discovered that 9/10 terrorists use nix

Ms_Angel_D
November 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
They are probably right, you could be evil. I once saw a paper that discovered that 9/10 terrorists use nix

:lolflag: isn't fud great

3rdalbum
November 16th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat. Just because I have Linux (Ubuntu) on my netbook and laptop, suddenly I'm the computer "genius" everybody comes to for tech issues.

If you don't want this to happen, just tell them that you don't know anything about Windows and are absolutely useless at it; and that they are more likely to be able to fix problems with their Windows machines.

Paqman
November 16th, 2009, 12:22 PM
9/10 terrorists use nix

So 9/10 Linux users are terrorists? Damn.

*arrests self*

etnlIcarus
November 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
So 9/10 Linux users are terrorists? Damn.

*arrests self*
...you were being facetious in your interpretation, right?

openuniverse
November 16th, 2009, 12:28 PM

Paqman
November 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
...you were being facetious in your interpretation, right?

Not at all.

In other statistical news: On average, everybody in the world is 1/6th Chinese.

etnlIcarus
November 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Well that's a relief.

t0p
November 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM

There is an element of truth in this, inasmuch as a vanilla Linux install is better able to do bad stuff than a vanilla Windows install (Xp and Vista - I know nothing about Windows 7 though I'd assume it's the same...). But I know of plenty of bad folk who do bad things with Windows, and there are lots of good people who use Linux only for good... or who wouldn't even know where to start to do bad. A tool's a tool, neither good nor evil. It's the user of the tool who is naughty or nice.

Was this a joke? I mean Grenage's post. Though I'd also like to know if the "paper" was a joke... Some people believe crazy things.

Ms_Angel_D
November 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
There is an element of truth in this, inasmuch as a vanilla Linux install is better able to do bad stuff than a vanilla Windows install (Xp and Vista - I know nothing about Windows 7 though I'd assume it's the same...). But I know of plenty of bad folk who do bad things with Windows, and there are lots of good people who use Linux only for good... or who wouldn't even know where to start to do bad. A tool's a tool, neither good nor evil. It's the user of the tool who is naughty or nice.

Well what makes it so funny to me is that these people live a few thousand miles away from me. It's not like I have direct access to their computer or anything. I would have to really know some stuff to hack into their computer from a distance. It's just funny when somebody gives you way to much credit simply based on their impressions of somebody who uses Linux.

Grenage
November 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Was this a joke? I mean Grenage's post. Though I'd also like to know if the "paper" was a joke... Some people believe crazy things.

A long time ago when there was a real nix systems push, there were a lot of adverts along the lines of "8/10 web servers are nix" or "9/10 fortune 500 companies implement nix". A while later there were many parodies of this, including the terrorist reference.

Example: http://www.johndball.com-a.googlepages.com/images-linuxisevil.gif (animated gif).

spongypants23
November 16th, 2009, 02:55 PM
"we found an admin, may we burn her?"

"how do you know she's an admin?"

"she looks like one!"

number one sign is if your windows computer turns into a newt. failing that, if you've got a duck...

best defense against this sort of thing is to cleverly disguise your gui as mac os/x. "what kind of mac is that?" "oh, it's old..." "where's the apple logo?" "rubbed off..." "wow, that is old!"

You win.

Xbehave
November 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Sorry guys this is all my fault, you see since starting to use linux i have turned to the dark side:

No wifi = no problem I'll borow the nearest wep (learning how stuff works and using linux makes this easy)
Friend's torrent's making my internet go slow = meh I'll just kill their connection (again understanding WPA and using linux)
Brother left torrents running on the vista machine = meh I'll run the remote BSOD script which gives me at least 5 minutes of fast internet (hey i learnt python to improve my Linux skillset it's not my fault it means i understand exploit code now)

Still need to learn ARP poisoning to get 2/3 done in a less malicious manner. I did try to be evil when i was using windows back in school, but it's much easier being evil when you have a decent OS.

:evil:p.s the rumours regarding cookies are true

Elitist
November 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Haha, happens quite often! :)

But at least there is a class of Ubuntu - machines in my university, so
it is not considered too "geeky" anymore.