PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] access denied on samba share after karmic upgrade

vayu
November 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
After upgrading to karmic I get an "access denied" error when trying to write to a samba share.

From the Karmic machine I can see the files on the windows machine but when I try to drag a file from a Karmic directory to a Windows directory it gives the error. I can drag a file from the Windows directory to the Karmic directory. On the Windows machine I can copy both ways no problem.

This is the command I've been using for 9.04. Has anything changed that I need to update smb.conf or the mount syntax?

sudo mount //10.0.0.20/wwwroot$ /home/satyam/shares/prajipati/www/ -o username=satyam,password=mypassword,dmask=777,fmas k=777

dmizer
November 16th, 2009, 08:41 AM
There is a fix for this located in the troubleshooting section of my CIFS tutorial (2nd link in my sig)

vayu
December 9th, 2009, 05:53 AM
There is a fix for this located in the troubleshooting section of my CIFS tutorial (2nd link in my sig)

Thanks much, that worked.

vayu
December 11th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Ok that gave my Ubuntu computer access to the XP computer but now the XP computer lost the name access to the Ubuntu computer. I can find the Ubuntu's IP address with ifconfig and then Windows will be able to access it as \\10.0.0.xxx. What do I do to get the Ubuntu name (akasha) to work for windows?

Here's what I think are the relevant parts of smb.conf

workgroup = vayu
netbios name = akasha
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
# wins support = no
; wins server = w.x.y.z
dns proxy = no
name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host

[FAT32]
comment = Akasha/mnt/fat32
path = /mnt/fat32
; browseable = yes
writeable = yes
valid users = satyam
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775